X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischia Black breba

The first ripe Ischia Black breba of the year. It looked better than it tasted. It had a nice thin skin, but not so sweet. This is the smallest breba on the tree.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

It does look good. Sorry to hear that it didn't taste as good as it looks.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I think most folks would be jealous by the simple fact that you got to sample ischia black. Congrats though. Hopefully it kicks butt in the future...
      Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Art,

Which Ischia Black is that? The UCDavis one or?
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Wills, It's UCD. I also have the one from Jon. The Ischia Black AD. It's like a VdB.
          Art
          Western Pa -6a

Comment

Looks good, Art. Do you have standout breba varieties with trees that produce a lot? Does the greenhouse assist in that effort I imagine?
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Yes, the greenhouse helps a bunch. I do have a few varieties that give excellent breba and main.
              Art
              Western Pa -6a

Comment

• cis4elk
                cis4elk commented
                Editing a comment
                Art, thanks for sharing. I'm sure that breba was still better than the BT's I bought at WF the other day.

Care to share the names of the those which give you excellent breba and main?

Art looks great. Let us know if the other Ischia Black breba turn out better. My little guy was my first to root this winter. I allowed two main crop to stay on the plant. Mine doesn't seem to show much fmv. Also doesn't grow very fast either.
              Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Dang, how did that thing not taste outstanding? Looks great.

Comment

very nice fig....................
                  Wish List -

Comment

Round two... These were better. They had that berry flavor, but lacking that sweetness.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                    Art
                    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Beautiful looking fig! I too am sorry it does not taste as good. How old this this tree?

Cheerz fellow Pennsylvanian
                      Chauqg
                      Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

• kubota1
                        kubota1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        About 6 yrs old.

IMO, the "AD" strain is a great tasting fig. There have been discussions on whether or not it is a genuine Black Ischia but it has all the features and characteristics of it. And the healthiest strain I have seen yet.
                      I don't know much about the UCD strain other than having a serious FMV case. I stay away from it personally. But that's just me.

But as with everything else in life. The fig should get better and should taste better as it ages. Your fig will/should get better with age, Art.

Comment

Art, I had a couple of breba from the UCD last year and they fit your description perfectly.
                        Not very sweet and not much flavor. I also have the AD but this will be the first year
                        for fruiting so we shall see.
                        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Hey - it's a breba. Tell us what you think when you taste the main crop. A lot of people break brebas off because they feel they're not worth eating.
                          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Art,
                            Thanks for sharing the photos and description of the breba.
                            Could you please post some photos of the Ischia Black UCD leaves?
                            Thanks.
                            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Sure will Pete. When I get home from work.
                              Art
                              Western Pa -6a

Comment

• AscPete
                                AscPete commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks.

Here are a few pictures. Sorry they aren't that good. It's been raining all day.
                              It's in a 20 gal container. Plant is probably 6 yrs. old.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                              Art
                              Western Pa -6a

Comment

Hi Art.
                              Great looking place you have.
                              I was hoping to see you at Bass's gathering before l moved to Florida.
                              Vito

Comment

Vito,
                                Thanks buddy. It was bad timing for me this year. I hope to see you soon. Even if i have to come to Florida to see you. I know my wife wouldn't complain. Good luck with the move.
                                Art
                                Western Pa -6a

Comment

fig photos look amazing, thanks for sharing... can't wait for round 3
                                  Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Hey Art the leaves in the middle picture seem to be showing fmv, I guess after 6 years its still going strong?
                                    Rafael
                                    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

4 Year old Ischia Black
                                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Gardencrochet, where did your Black Ischia come from? The leaf pattern doesn't seem to match Arts or UCDs or the Black Ischia(AD) variety?
                                        Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                                        Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Working...
                                        X