X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No figs for me

Checking on my trees a few weeks ago, I noticed nothing happening. No leafs, no growth nada. I scratched the bark and no green. I had 4 trees that would've given me figs this year, but they are dead and gone. Sigh, the winters have been rough. I pulled out my largest tree with no effort. The roots were gone. The others pretty much the same. I did put them in the fig burial ground just in case. But I think they're done. Maybe next year. I have small ones that were started this winter indoors. I guess I'll buy the dried ones from nuts.com.

:-/

Do you have a garage, or any place you could store potted plants in the future to protect them from the elements?
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Bummer! I know the feeling Just when you think your tree is going to have a nice crop......BAM! Disaster strikes! If it's not the cold then it's critter damage. Even with protection I lost a few new trees this past winter. It was just plain ""too cold"".
      Baby your new trees with TLC and maybe you'll get at least a few fresh figs to enjoy.
      Best of Luck!
      Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
      Tony
      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Sorry Maritza. You need the garage and some warmth on nights below 20 F. I saw a nice Negronne for sale in a store in Queens!
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Smaritza,

Sorry to hear about the losses. I'm still rebuilding after winter 2013 (the polar vortexes)
          but I will have a group of 1 gallon Gateway figs in mid July, send a PM if interested.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks for the support guys..
            I do have a shed, but it's soooooo old and creaky. I'm am too scared to go in there.. I'm afraid of what's lurking inside. LOL! But I guess that is where they will have to be. Some of the smaller ones may become winter house plants..

Comment

Working...
            X