X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig propagation: this year's model

I've used a number of different methods for propagation over the 5 seasons I have been propagating figs: paper towel or moss rooting followed by conventional potting up, peat pots, root riot, and mini-SIPs. All have worked at least ok but the method I'm using this year is the best so far.

I haven't invented anything new – rather it is a combination of two methods previous described on the figs4fun forum. I started with cuttings lacking a terminal bud and wrapped the region to be exposed to air, as well as about ½-1 inch below soil level, with stretched out parafilm (see timclymer method in the first link). I then scored the bottom of the cutting a bit as well; no rooting hormone was used.

Cuttings were “planted” in mini-SIPs made as previously described by ascpete (see links 2-5). I used a premoistened 2-2-1 mix (coconut coir-peat-perlite) with 1 cup of dolomite agricultural lime per 5 gallons of mix. Because I had a gnat problem about a month ago I layered on about ½ inch of play sand on top of the mix in each mini-SIP; omit this if you don’t have gnats. On the day I set up a cutting I add about ¼ inch of water to the reservoir but under my conditions I don’t usually need to add more water until the cutting is starting to show roots and leaves. I then keep about ¼-1/2 of water (with ¼-1/2 teaspoon of foliage pro per gallon) in the reservoir at all times. What you want to see at steady-state is that the top ~ 1/3 of the soil is dry (lighter colored) while the rest is moist. Mini-SIPs work great if you can get the right combination of mix and wicking action so that the proper amount of water is being pulled into the mix. FYI, the wick is a 6 in x 1 in strip of Pellon Thermolam Plus that is cut lengthwise down the middle except for the final 1 inch which is the part that dangles into the reservior. The final link from ascpete describes the wick in more detail.

A humidity bin is not needed. However, because my room is rather cold (60-65 degrees) I put my mini-SIPs in a bin with a heating mat under so that they are around 70-80 degrees. There is no moisture in the bin except for what comes from the mini-SIPs themselves. The cuttings in the photos were started a various times (Jan. 17, first week of Feb. and last weekend). The January cuttings are all doing well. I’ll post additional results later. I plan to keep them growing in the mini-SIPs until they are partly hardened off to conditions outdoors in the Spring and then pot them up.

The advantages of this method are that: (1) it is a one step method; there are no separate rooting and potting up steps, (2) you always know how much water to add, (3) you can use very large cuttings (as opposed to root riot) as well as small ones, and (4) a bin is not needed (other than for temperature).

A disadvantage is that if you are propagating large numbers of cuttings (like 25 or more) making all the mini-SIPs would be a lot of work. If I were doing a huge number I would replace the mini-SIPs with tree pots like timclymer and Harvey have described.

http://www.threefoldfarm.org/blog/si...ig-propagation
    http://insideurbangreen.typepad.com/...925c2a0970c-pi
    http://www.insideurbangreen.org/recy...psoda-bottles/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/greensc...7604735985648/
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....0&postcount=89
    Last edited by Rewton; 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Looks like great results, Steve! Thanks for sharing.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Steve,
      Looks Good, thanks for sharing.
      Please keep us updated on your progress. Good Luck.
      Since we will be using very similar methods, can I post my progress pictures in this topic instead of starting a new topic?
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        By all means Pete, feel free to post your results here if you like. Thanks for posting the information on the 2 L mini-SIPs last year!

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'll post after I start them in a few weeks.
        You're welcome...

Nice roots, Steve! Another great method to try.
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

If only I bothered you sooner, Steve. I would definitely have gone this route to save myself from half of my current worries. Thanks for putting all that information in one spot
        Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Good synthesis of various methods, Steve. Hope they grow well for you!
          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
          Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Here is an update on cuttings I started between mid-Jan and mid-Feb. 10/12 are showing roots visible to the wall of the mini-SIP and nearly all are showing leaves or swollen/green buds. Only one seems to have failed - a Filacciano Bianco cutting that I suspected was cold damaged from the beginning. The one that is showing the most leaves and roots is Black Madeira. I haven't really experienced a variety that is harder to root than others - in my hands the success rate has more to do with the quality of the cuttings themselves, how they were stored, etc.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Looking good, Steve. Seems like I started my cuttings at the same time you did. They seem to be on par with your results. Keep the updates flowing
              Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Looking good! I had trouble with F. Bianco too.
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                SE PA
                Zone 6

Comment

• Rewton
                  Rewton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry the F. B. cuttings didn't pan out for you. This particular cutting was taken off the mother tree that gave rise to my tree. The ones I sent you were from my tree and I'm pretty confident they were ok because they were taken before our really cold weather set in in December. Did they root and/or form leaves and then fail or did they just get moldy from the get go? If you haven't yet found another source of F.B. then let me know - I can fix you up one way or the other later in the year.

• Kelby
                  Kelby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not your fault! They leafed out instead of rooting and croaked. Might have been me, who knows. I heard from another person that it was slow to root for them. I have some more in the fridge, thanks though!
              Working...
              X