X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pruning Peach Trees after harves?

Everything I read seems to point at pruning peach trees in the south before bud break. I did that. Now that harvest is over I can't see where a light prune would hurt anything. Do any of yall do a post harvest prune on your peach trees down south? Wills?

I'm in PA and that wouldn't work here but I have read of growers doing that in CA. If you don't get an experienced answer here you could try on the GrowingFruit forum
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Video with a good tutorial...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQz5qApNwug
      Good Luck.

Attached are photos of 3 different Peach trees (Elberta, Belle of Georgia, Red haven) and 1 plum tree (Stanley) that will be severely pruned later in the summer. The Stanley, Belle of Georgia and Elberta will be coppiced back to 24" trunks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	22413 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5369.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	22414

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5374.jpg
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	22415 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5376.jpg
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	22416
      Last edited by AscPete; 06-13-2015, 12:26 PM. Reason: added photos and caption...
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Sure, you can do some summer pruning to remove wayward or over vigorous growth. I usually trim a few branches here and there as needed, especially if any grafts are getting too much shade.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

Right on, thanks for the responses! I just planted this tree a few months ago. It's been in a 35 gallon pot for 3 years now. I went ahead and let it fruit after transplanting but it spent all its energy this spring producing fruit. I just want to give it a little kick in the butt to start growing again. I feel it may be a little shocked.

Comment

http://www.davewilson.com/community-...uit-trees-2013

this should help
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I prune mine all summer long. Watersprouts and shaping you can do anytime. Pruning them just makes them grow.....
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Severe summer pruning can encourage peach tree short life disease. Maintenance pruning as Wills does is ok.
                Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My idea of severe summer pruning is 1/3 of the total canopy (per standard practice) and coppicing is always done after the trees go dormant.
              Working...
              X