This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On forum sales rules. EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Members of ourfigs are welcome to have cutting sales on the forum as long as they are a NON COMMERCIAL seller. Cuttings only, fig trees can NOT be listed on Ourfigs for sale UNLESS they are local pickup only, it is part of the agreement I have with eBay. My agreement with eBay also states there will be "no commercial sales" on Ourfigs and eBay views commercial sales as "any sales that competes with eBay". So if you sell on eBay "a lot" you are commercial. The term "a lot" came direct from eBay, they did not define it and I did not ask them for clarification as it gave me some wiggle room.

Non commercial would be defined as:

Reasonable prices

Small volume of cuttings

Limited varieties offered (less than 20 varieties).

Sale is ok once a year per member.

Commercial members would be if you can answer yes to any one of the following:

Large volume of cuttings offered

Have a sales website.

20+ varieties offered.

If you have more than 20 fig related (cuttings / plants) sales on eBay per year. This is how "we" are defining "a lot" Once you are commercial you are commercial and even if you would stop selling on eBay you will still be considered a commercial seller.

THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE......Even having one sale on eBay MAY make eBay consider your selling on Ourfigs as "competition" but I will cross that bridge if I have to. I'm simply trying to retain my ability to sell on eBay, and so that I and others can mention the forum on eBay as it gains Ourfigs many new members. BUT I also want the non commercial members who are 99.9% of the members of Ourfigs to be able to keep the ability to sell some cuttings here to off set the costs of the hobby. Due to that I ask for your cooperation and your understanding as I am caught in an awkward position and walking a very tight and slippery line. While I personally view Ourfigs as a community project and owned by the members and I simply manage it eBay does not see it that way at ALL, my name is on the dotted line as owner so I bear sole responsibility for what happens here.

Commercial members can put a link to their eBay ads in their signature, commercial members can even post a thread pointing to their sales on eBay or say come visit me at private site xxxxxx.com we are ok with that as long as it is not spammed multiple times over a short period of time. It would be nice IF commercial members are going to advertise their eBay sales on Ourfigs OR their sale site that they would contribute to the forums costs. It isn't required but does seem fair to do so. As with most things here, common sense rules.
    Last edited by WillsC; 11-20-2017, 11:53 AM. Reason: edited
    Approximately 300 more trees will be added to willsfigs.com on 6/22 sometime in the evening. The airlayers will go on sale in a couple weeks.

We have had these rules in place for about two years but we never locked down the specifics until now (my fault). Because of this Saxon had asked me if he could post a sale which was the polite thing to do and I said yes. I should have asked if he sold on eBay, I had no clue he did but I should have asked. Because of this his sale thread will not be deleted, just locked.

Hope all is clear, if not please feel free to ask away. After a bit this thread will become a sticky.
    Approximately 300 more trees will be added to willsfigs.com on 6/22 sometime in the evening. The airlayers will go on sale in a couple weeks.

Comment

when you say"sell on ebay" if someone sells old shoes, a lawnmower, and an adjustable wrench and a pump sprayer and "a lot of" old clothes on ebay as I once did when cleaning out my garage but has NEVER sold a fig plant or cutting there, does that bar him from selling a cutting or two on the forum when he prunes?Or is it just fig stuff ebay cares about?
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        The fourth "question" for determining if one is a commercial sellers does specify "fig related."

Wills, I have a question. I do sell on eBay and to date have not posted anything for sale on the forum. My question every year I run a new special in which I offer packets of cuttings for newbies. All I charge is for priority S&H. The amount of $10.00. Is this offer considered selling, if so I will stop.
      Last edited by DaveL; 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Originally posted by YATAMA View Post
        when you say"sell on ebay" if someone sells old shoes, a lawnmower, and an adjustable wrench and a pump sprayer and "a lot of" old clothes on ebay as I once did when cleaning out my garage but has NEVER sold a fig plant or cutting there, does that bar him from selling a cutting or two on the forum when he prunes?Or is it just fig stuff ebay cares about?
        "If you have more than 20 fig related sales"

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
          Wills, I have a question. I do sell on eBay and to date have not posted anything for sale on the forum. My question every year I run a new special in which I offer packets of cuttings for newbies. All I charge is for S&H. The amount of $10.00. Is this offer considered selling, if so I will stop.
          Dave,

as long as it is just to cover shipping costs and cost of padded envelopes I would say you are fine to continue. I will run it past the mods though.

Comment

Hi Wills

i have sold cuttings in winter occasionally without incident, but I may do more than one thread or sale over a period of a few weeks when I am taking cuttings. Is that okay or am I required to post a sale just once for all cuttings? Thanks
            Rafael
            Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Slight confusion: What part of selling on Ourfigs would violate eBay rules?

I just looked over their terms of service and didn't find anything specific that would seem to prevent it. Or I just missed it.

-Tom
              Tom Hall
              Sacramento, Ca / Zone 9b
              W/L: Paraíso, CdDB, CdDR, Violeta, Dolce Cuore

Comment

Originally posted by TigerTom View Post
                Slight confusion: What part of selling on Ourfigs would violate eBay rules?

I just looked over their terms of service and didn't find anything specific that would seem to prevent it. Or I just missed it.

-Tom
                Wills sells on ebay. In his descriptions he mentions ourfigs.com. EBay does not allow sellers to link to commercial websites because buyers could then go straight there and cut out ebay.

If ebay pushed wills, he would be forced to stop all ourfigs sales or remove the link to the site in his listing.

Comment

Ah, tracking.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Tom
                  Tom Hall
                  Sacramento, Ca / Zone 9b

Comment

Tom,

What LTCM said exactly. eBay does not like competition or anything deemed close to it. My sales on eBay bring in a LOT of new members and I wish all sellers that are forum members would mention the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafaelissimmo View Post
                      Hi Wills

i have sold cuttings in winter occasionally without incident, but I may do more than one thread or sale over a period of a few weeks when I am taking cuttings. Is that okay or am I required to post a sale just once for all cuttings? Thanks
                      Rafael,

Sorry, just one sale per member per year......if it was multiples with smaller quantities just too hard to keep up with who has had what and on and on.

Comment

If anyone has any fig trees for sale for local pick up in Suffolk county Long Island please pm me...looking for the goddess black madeira

Comment

Pump.
                          Zone 5B: Rotterdam, NY

YouTube

Comment

A bit confused by these selling rules. If someone sells on ebay, whether as a commercial seller or as a one-off sale, why should it matter to ebay whether or not you sell elsewhere, provided you don't advertise your other sales channels on ebay. Also, what's the rationale for prohibiting sales of cuttings on this forum if one also sells on ebay as well. There must be something else to it that I am missing. Could someone clarify this, please. Also, is advertising on this forum that you sell thru another channel, ebay or another website, allowed? Thanks.
                            Wish List: Martineca Rimada, BM-KK, Ischia Black

Comment

• DrDraconian
                              DrDraconian commented
                              Editing a comment
                              There is nothing inherently wrong with competing with Ebay on fig tree / cuttings sales. However, when Wills sells on Ebay, his listings include a link to Ourfigs.com as a way of advertising the forum to potential new users to try to increase the user base. Ebay allows this on the condition that Ourfigs does not compete with Ebay on sales.

Members often mention their sales on Ebay and now Figbid, along with privates sales, so it is allowed, but these are generally single posts and low key. It is not the intent to have people fill the forum with links to their fig sales. But part of the point is to allow trades and sales between users here, because this forum is one of the main ways that sellers can generate the trust needed for a successful exchange between those who have different varieties and those that wish to acquire them.

Check out figbid.com

Comment

• Harish-C
                              Harish-C commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good web source for newbie fig lovers. Just registered. Have a suggestion: for a newbie like me it would be helpful if the seller provides some basic but important information on whether a particular variety listed is cold hardy or not, or which growing zone/s it is suited for. Thanks.

Steve here

if you want to run ads on ebay you can just go here http://www.ebayadvertising.com

if you want to advertise on ebay and want to get around there rules that is easy

make one web page on google free blog How to root your cuttings and on that site put how to root cutings
                            then make a 60x468 bander and put it at the bottom of the free web page the banner should say what ever you want like ourfigs.com we invite you to join us
                            and make sure you put a heater above the banner that says Advertisement

then go to all your ebay listings and put a link to the blog stating How to root your fig cuttings

Bang you get free advertising and help the byer out at the same time ebay want care about the banner at the bottom
                            just as long its on another site.

cool
                            Q: Fig is a good pass-along plant, Johnson said (LSU). “The same variety may have as many as 25 ‘names,’.” from pass arounds,

Comment

Hey Steve,

That may work, but another eBay seller (not Wills) recently had all his listings removed by eBay because they contained a link to rooting instructions and he had to relist everything without the link. This also happened to Wills' listings.

My personal opinion is that any link that draws a potential bidder away from eBay, regardless of content, is viewed as competition and no longer allowed. I may be wrong, and hope I am, because a link to info that would help a buyer be successful with a purchase would, in the long term, increase sales, not reduce them.

-Tom
                              Tom Hall
                              Sacramento, Ca / Zone 9b

Comment

W🍏🥝🍅🥒🥝🥝💬
                                2019 FIG LIST
                                https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Comment

Working...
                                X