X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this forum

Just signed up for this forum and wanted to say hello. I'm Sarah, and I live in Redwood City, CA, zone 8B. I also recently joined the other forum under the same user name.

I've been gardening for a long time but growing figs is a pretty recently acquired interest. I had my first fresh figs only a few years ago (I know, I know) while taking a course in Israel during the hottest part of the year. I'd never liked fig newtons and the figs sold at the grocery store always looked... less than appetizing, but these were amazing! They were squat greenish yellow ones with strawberry centers, no idea what they were but would love to taste them again someday.

I have a burgeoning collection of young potted fig trees including Panache, Reverse, White Genoa, Black Mission, Flanders, Petite Negra, Olympian, Desert King, Peter's Honey, Violette de Bordeaux/Negronne, Nero 600m, Adriatic unk., Strawberry Verte, Smith, Excel, Pastilliere, Hardy Chicago, Nordland, Osborne Prolific, and Kathleen's Black.

I originally planned to just get a Panache since I'd been so appreciating the ones from the farmers market, but then the tree I bought from a nursery online turned out to be a Reverse, and learning about all the other fig possibilities just fed the fig collection bug. The fig container "grove" gets bigger all the time! Lots of cuttings waiting in the wings to be rooted and potted up. Other fig enthusiasts are so enabling and kind, aren't they? The trees are still pretty young, but I hope to start trading and share extra cuttings when it's time to prune as the fig territory is completely taking over my garden space and I should leave more room for vegetables next year. Though figs are perfect for our increasingly dehydrated California climate.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and beautiful fig photos! Looking forward to being able to learn from you and pay it forward.
    Last edited by Sarahkt; 06-14-2015, 10:31 PM.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Welcome to Ourfigs Sarah.

You for sure we'll find the answers to soil of your questions and plenty of enablers here.

You have a nice collection started already, way to grow!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sarah.....Very welcome to you! Tjis is the place to be to learn about figs: great people, loads of information, friendly atmosphere and now YOU!

Cheerz

Chauqg
      Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Welcome Sarah, you will really like this forum everyone is so nice and helpful.
        Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Welcome aboard Sarah, we love to help and look forward to you sharing pictures of your accomplishments and rewards.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Hello Sarah,

Welcome to the Our Figs forum community. You have definitely joined a fellowship of enablers.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Welcome Sarah, from a fig collector on the other side of the country! Coast to coast ...
              Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Welcome Sarah
                Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Sarah, welcome to Ourfigs Forum
                  newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Ciao Sarah. Welcome. You will find good home here.
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Welcome Sarah, you're off to a good start with your collection!
                      Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                      Zone 8B

Comment

Welcome Sara, how about some pictures of the fig grove.
                        Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Welcome Sarah.....I heard about a Sarah from Redwood city....I'm up by Gary in Santa Rosa...

I've got a few more for your collection next time you're up this way, California being the way it is for getting figs from out of state
                          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Welcome Sarah. Great place to get questions answered, and of course, more fig varieties!
                            Ed
                            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Welcome, Sarah. I'm right across the bay from you.
                              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                                  Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Welcome aboard Sarah. This is the best place
                                    Vincent Canada Québec zone5

Comment

Hi Sarah, nice to see you here, and looking forward to seeing you again in August.
                                      Gary USDA 9A
                                      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Welcome! Nice collection of figs so far. You just need to buy a house with bigger yard.
                                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Glad to be here.

Ross, yep, that was probably me Gary was talking about. I went to go visit Gary and his luxurious heaven full of figs in Sonoma just a couple months ago. Gary's the top donor among the very generous, enabling forum members I was talking about earlier, actually, in terms of both fig plants and fig growing advice. Little did he know when he invited me to come up for a visit that I'd be emailing him every time I had rooting questions or suspicious-looking rust spots on a fig's leaves... He's got a wonderful set-up, the figs and other fruit trees look amazing! Clearly his organic gardening methods are working very well. Really looking forward to the fig gathering later this year, and possibly finally getting to taste one of those Black Madeira figs talked about in hushed, reverent tones on these forums.

DaveL, you ask for pictures -- of course! Doesn't every proud parent like to show off pictures of their breathtaking babies? That's a Seinfeld joke, by the way. First time posting pictures on either forum, apologies if I break photo-uploading etiquette or anything. My figs are mostly babies, only two or three years old at the oldest. I know figs fruit relatively early in life for fruit trees, but time does go by very, very slowly this first year I have fruit setting. I guess I should correct myself, it's an orchard, not a grove, and not even that since I pulled most of the bigger, fruiting ones in a condensed row to try to protect them with bird netting. I'm too new at this and have too few figlets setting at this early stage to risk losing any to the glint in the birds' eyes.

Here's some of the "orchard" in the bird netting row. Please kindly ignore the weeds, they persist in spite of the drought, unlike the grass!

Hey Gary, the Strawberry Verte I got from you is in the black Smart Pot after the 4 gray plastic pots. It's doing great, thanks again! Lots of figs setting, pretty much one at every leaf node. I anticipate the time when I'm able to do the elaborate ritual of taking pictures of fig cross-sections sitting next to a quarter, haha. The first figs of the year, brebas off one of the VdBs, were tasty but didn't get that level of star treatment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Figs - 4 (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	22810 Click image for larger version

Name:	Figs - 6 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	22811

These are some little guys I just potted up into 5 gallon pots between the potted lime, apple and pomegranate pots. Bucket on top of that post to the right is a long story.

Name:	Figs - 1 (1).jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	22814

These are figs on the first tree I bought, labeled "Panache" from Raintree. This was supposed to be my one and only fig tree... But then I learned that since it lacked the variegated wood which Jon says is inherent in a true Panache, it was probably a Reverse. But these figs don't look much like the one for-sure Reverse fig I have growing on a reverted limb off one of my bonafide Panache trees that I got earlier this year. So, not sure what this actually is. If it's obvious to anyone here what this really is, based on fig morphology, leave shape, or voodoo, help solve the mystery!

Name:	Figs - 12 (1).jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	22812

Panache figlets, the real thing! At long last. Thank you, local nurseries stocking Four Winds and Dave Wilson trees. My first attempt to root cuttings were beautiful Panache cuttings I got from Harvey at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately I had no idea what I was doing then and they died a slow, soggy death from overzealous nurturing. (Other cuttings I've since gotten from Harvey and other sellers have fared better due to reading up on others' rooting methods.)

Name:	Figs - 18 (1).jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	22813
                                          My first pinched tip, in an effort to get more figlets on the White Genoa which offered up nothing last year. Pleasantly surprised how well that turned out.

Name:	Figs - 8 (1).jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	22809

I've been keeping most of the cuttings in plastic bins under a table for shade. Furry beast included for scale...
                                          I just started experimenting with several types of potting medium and rooting methods. The cuttings without any leaves in the blue coir cups are the most recent, just started rooting a couple days ago. Some of these are from Harvey or a member on the other forum (fatnsassytexan on eBay). The number of cuttings is getting a little out of hand, so I'm planning to bring some of the duplicate rooted cuttings to Gary's fig fest! Hoping to swap for other types.

Name:	Figs - 22 (1).jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	22820

Name:	Figs - 26 (1).jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	22816

Enjoy!
                                          Attached Files
                                          Sarah
                                          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Very nice. looking forward to your posts.
                                            Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

That is quite the collection Sarah. Very nice, thank you for sharing.
                                              Last edited by COGardener; 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM.
                                              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Beautiful photos! Looks like you're well on your way
                                                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Great to have you aboard. Looks like you are having much fun.
                                                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
                                                  X