X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RdB brebas

I wanted to share some pics of my Ronde de Bordeaux brebas, the first of which I ate this morning. I've read that RdB rarely sets brebas, but mine doesn't seem to know that. I expected them to drop, but they are ripening. Very sweet, tasty fig, but not main crop quality yet. I'll let the other 15-20 ripen more, but I was anxious. Thanks Kerry for this great plant! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	22880 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	22881 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.JPG
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	22882 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3638.JPG
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	22883
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Hey Gary! Pretty nice, congrats! Maybe the fact that you've got Ronde de Bordeaux breba hanging on is a testimonial to the organic lifestyle they're enjoying.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Sarah.

I just rooted one this year. I am very exited to about it and can't wait for fruit. Now Gary has upped the stakes and I'm even more exited.

They look great!!
    Last edited by COGardener; 06-16-2015, 12:25 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I got a couple brebas off of mine last year that were pretty good too. This past winter it was in-ground and suffered too much damage to have brebas. It is advertised as a main crop only fig so it raises the questions of what kind of environmental conditions favor a good breba crop. Probably most, if not all, varieties considered to be main crop-only figs can produce at least some brebas under the right conditions.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Steve, I'm thinking that the mild Winter we experienced had a lot to do with it. Lows were only in the 30s and not many hard frosts. The plant is growing crazy, a bush form with many branches.

I got my RdB from him also. It came as a 24" whip after Thanksgiving in 2014. I planted it in the ground in 2015. Fast grower. No brebas, but was starting to put on its third main crop when frost hit last year. It froze close to the ground this past winter, so no brebas this year. Hopefully, it will never freeze back again.
      PPP
      Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Good point Steve. It seems the warm, ideal weather in California is suited to brebas. Someone posted photos of Preto breba in California on the other forum, a practically unheard of phenomena.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Awesome! The main crop has a nice deep red pulp. Here is one of mine from last year (main).
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• figgary
            figgary commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Frank. I'd almost forgotten how red and beautiful the main crop was.

Tis is pure torture.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Mine has never shown breba until this year , it was covered , but they all fell off quickly at a tiny size.
            Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

Working...
            X