X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent mist propagation

The link below is my very first youtube video I have ever made. It's the system I use to root my cuttings. I use an intermittent mist to emulate 100% humidity and the evaporation draws moisture up the cutting and out of the leaves, also my location gets an hour of morning direct sun and an hour of evening direct sun and I don't have to harden off my plants. I've never had a viable cutting not survive. I notice everyone posting ways they have found to root their cuttings and thought I would share with you how I root mine.

http://youtu.be/sGJuWdQCoCM
    Last edited by Admin IT; 01-01-2016, 02:13 AM.
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Great Video my friend! I love tis mister idea. I wish I have house to make myself area like that. But I may buy unit like yours to use in green house at the farm. Great job on cuttings too!
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Does the tub of sand have drainage holes?
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Whiterk
        Whiterk commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, I drilled a total of 6 holes in the bottom. I use a coarse sand so it drains well.

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent, thank you.

Neat setup.
      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Have you ever lost a cutting when you up-pot from this system?
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Whiterk
          Whiterk commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never lost a cutting from an up pot, the only cuttings I have ever lost was from some that were raised in the solo cups with a plastic bag around them, they suffered from rot and harding off was a huge problem. One of them was a Maltese Falcon, I was really hopeful to have a Maltese Falcon, maybe again one day I will have one.

Whiterk,

Welcome to Our Figs forum community...

Thanks for making and sharing the video and info on your mist propagation of fig cuttings. Your success rates are enviable.
        I've read that this method is also used by some nurseries for commercial fig propagation.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

That's the reason I chose the mist system. The commercial guys do it and have a high success rate with it.
          Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Looks like something I need to add at my house!
            Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

This is my second summer using a mist system, I use it for all kinds of plants. One thing , if you want to make one yourself, you need to make sure you get a timer that will adjust down to seconds. The Galcon timer that has seconds has a S on the end of the number. 8056S instead of 8056.
              Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
              Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Great video and striking results...kudos

a good example of "first things first"....move in...and set up the mister for the figs.....

good priority set.......
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

With it being rooting season, I thought we should bring Randall's thread back out.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Very interesting. Once I get a greenhouse up, I'll set up something like this.
                    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

You and me both brother!

Comment

For anyone that might look, on a quick search these are the cheapest sites I saw.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Galcon-80...02U1/206623711

http://www.amazon.com/Galcon-6-Stati.../dp/B00ES8NV88

Comment

Working...
                        X