X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first good fig of the season, O'Rourke

Today I picked my very first good fig of 2015. It was an O'Rourke and wow, it was delicious. In fact I picked two, one I ate immediately and enjoyed the sensation as my eyes rolled back into my head, and the second one I brought in to take pictures of and give to Linda. She said the same thing, wow, that's good. There are also 5 or six more that will be ready of the next couple of days. Yeah, the long awaited season has started.
    ''gene"

Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Oh man that looks good..!!
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Looks good Gene. The first one is always good.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Thanks...!
        Looks like you had the patience to wait.

Cant wait until mine are ripe, main crop are still only pea sized, but I've got almost a dozen breba that are at the stagnant stage....
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

You guys love torture me 😢
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Looks great Gene. I like your tactics also. You eat one first and bring the second to share. I cut one of two PH brebas left this afternoon and brought it in the house only to watch in agony as my wife ,sister in law and daughter devoured it..
            the last one will be bitten right off the tree just like the birds do lol.

Comment

Forget ceremony.... just eat it right off the tree!!!

I'm in!!!!
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Pete, it was patience that made me wait. Their ripening completely surprised me. The only reason they didn't get bird eaten is the fact that the whole orchard is covered with bird netting. I went into the enclosure to do some pinching of my Cajun Gold so while in there I got to looking around. The ones that ripened were on the far side of the tree and I couldn't see them from the outside. I will be patrolling every day now.
                "gene"

Comment

Awesome,bird net the whole orchard,could you please post a couple of pics of your trees? At your convenience of course and thanks in advance!

Comment

Congrats Gene. Mine is about to ripen(breba) soon. I am very happy with
                    my O'rouke tree -- excellent taste, reliable & productive main crop. So far
                    my O'Rourke is the 2nd earliest to ripen main crop after Florea.

Comment

Nice looking fig. Makes my mouth water just looking at it. I also would like to see a pic of your bird netted orchard.
                      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

It's a little hard to get a good shot of the netting over the orchard but these might give you some idea. And by the way, the idea of a net enclosure come from Ken Stockton out Arizona way. If you are interested I can give you some details. The enclosure is 55' X 20' and cost around 210 dollars when I put it up a couple of years ago. It has held up well but I do need to made a few repairs and a couple of modifications. I might also add another 30 to it's length after this season.
                        "gene"

Mr. mocking bird can't get in.

Comment

That fig is truly a beautiful thing...congratulations

The torture is just beginning Mike...I feel your pain
                          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Gene,
                            Here are some photos of the O'Rourke leaves and figs so far...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5428.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	23520 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5434.jpg
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	23521 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5431.jpg
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	23522

Thanks for sharing the photos of the net enclosure, I would still need a wire fence to keep out the animals.

Comment

Thanks for sharing gene. Mr mocking bird can sit there and stare at those figs all he wants now! He must be pretty mad for the past three years lol. Thinking of going the same way with a black mission inground tree that is a very consistent producer from a very young age but I guess due to the dark color of the figs and the very sweet flavor, the hardest hit by birds and hornets/wasps. I have to pick them figs way too early to beat the flying thieves and I loose out in taste.

Comment

Pete, I also have some chicken wire around the lower part to keep any animals from tearing the plastic. So far it has worked great.
                                "gene"

Comment

• AscPete
                                  AscPete commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks, I will have to set up some netting later in the season...

Organza bags defeat the wasps but not the birds.
                                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Seems that my first figs of the season will be O'Rourke brebas.
                                  They started swelling 2 days ago and are now developing their characteristic stripes before getting darker and fully ripe.
                                  The main crop figs are only a few weeks behind.
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice. Hope they turn out tasty for you this year.
                                    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

O'Rourke brebas harvested today.
                                      They are mildly sweet with seed crunch and a very light flavor of "cane syrup". They are not as sweet or flavorful as main crop O'Rourke, I'll probably pinch them from the trees in future.
                                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

you're a better man than I am. If I get two I eat one and bring the other in the house and split it with my wife
                                        Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                                        Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Pete do you think you will gain anything by pinching off the breba. If so what. I haven't noticed the breba interfering with the main crop production or ripening. Of course I'm way down south with a very long season.
                                          "gene"

Comment

• AscPete
                                            AscPete commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Gene,
                                            They're not as tasty as main crop figs and In My Observations they slow the development of main crop figs by a week or more. The're also not worth the bother to protect (extra heat) in winter storage.

My first main crop figs of the season will also be O'Rourke. There are figs swelling on every fruiting branch. This one tree will be producing several figs daily over the next 2 - 3 weeks. There are main crop figs swelling on many other cultivars, including several different Celeste cultivars but these will be first picked!
                                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Pete mine is still producing good figs now and last year continued until cold weather set in. Let me know what you think of the taste of the fig. I'm not much in describing taste, but know what I like. To me a Celeste is a good fig and I can't say that I've eaten enought of others to say that they are better or not. O'Rouke doesn't taste like Celeste, to me it has an awesome flavor while the texture is about the same as Celeste. I give it a 10/10 on taste, production, and lack of spoiling.
                                            "gene"

Comment

Gene,
                                              Thanks, good to know that they're "everbearing". I'll post the photos when they're ready.

I'm also a fan of Celeste and am currently growing several different cultivars. They always remind me of dates, almost too sweet.

Another underrated fig cultivar is Champagne which is also ripening at the same time as O'Rourke and Celeste. Champagne tends to ripen all its figs at once, usually within the span on 1 - 2 weeks.
                                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                              X