X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Maui

Aloha, Thank you for adding me to your forum. My name is Mary and I live in Kihei Maui. I have been growing figs for about 10+ years. I grew up in the Bay Area in California and moved to Pahoa on the Big Island in 2002. I purchased from Plant It Hawaii a Brown Turkey and a Kadota. I picked up a small Black Jack from Ace or somewhere else. Birds and rodents often ate the fruit before I could taste any ripe delicious fruit. I lived on the rainy side of the island that received about 120" of rain a year, and that got old. When I moved to Maui in 2008 I took cuttings from the larger trees and dug up The Black Jack to take it with me. Kihei is in South Maui and it on the leeward side of the island (the side that does not get the trade wind showers/most of the rain). I see about 12" of rain a year. The temperature here is really great for growing with highs in the summer of about 89 degrees and 80 in the winter. Lows are in the 70's in summer with 60's in the winter. The native soil is sandy/clay that repels moisture. I use a lot of compost in my fig garden. In ground trees are watered with drip emitters and the pots are hand watered or sit in saucers. After I was able to root those cuttings I started to get serious about figs. I grew in pots until 2015 when I cleared space to make an in-ground fig garden. My first cuttings and baby trees came off eBay. Now I get cuttings from Figaholics. This week I did my first trade. I really learned a lot from these forums and joined so that I can participate and share what I have learned. I lurked for the longest time on the Figs for Fun Forum and joined not long before it was no more.​​​​​​​

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great climate for growing figs!
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a
    Wish list: no SWD

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, most of the figs like the climate except Celeste. It was nice in a pot, but since I put it in the ground it does not grow much and has tiny fruits that usually fall off before ripening.

Welcome, and happy to get to know you! I'm brand new to figs, but there's A LOT of folks here with oodles of knowledge - and lots of friendliness! So how big is your fig garden? What varieties do you grow now?
    Titusville, FL- zone 9b

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to meet you too. My fig garden takes up a quarter of my small backyard. It is about 10 by 20 feet. There is a fence to keep out chickens. I have "Atreano", Kadota, Encanto, "Paradiso"/Ventura, Black Jack, LSU Gold, Raspberry Latte, Celeste, Negronne, and an Unknown Green in the ground. In pots I have MBVS, Figo Preto, Socorro Black, Paradiso Genova, LSU Purple, Igo Prusch, Sweet Diana, Strawberry Verte,Violette de Bordeaux, Conadria. I just potted some grafts that I air layered yesterday that look good so far: Col de Dame Noir, Galicia Negra, Bourjasotte Gris, Valle Negra and Salace. Current air layered/grafts are Noir de Caromb, Macool, Emalyn's purple, Hardy Chicago, Melanzana, Flanders, Florea, Sucrette, and Falls Gold.

• Jkanyok
      Jkanyok commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy moly that's a lot of figs! Do you have a picture? I have a small area of my yard that I want to turn into a Fig Garden also, but I'm not sure how to fit All the varieties I want. I would love to see how you have everything growing. :-)

• grasshopper
      grasshopper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mary, you have very nice varieties. I was worried for a little whether you have access to the varieties we have in Mainland. When you said potted some grafts you air layered yesterday, do you mean you air layered them before and then it was really for potting up?

Or are you grafting all the varieties into the rootstocks in ground/pot?

Welcome - sounds like you've found the perfect place in Hawaii to grow figs!
    Looking for Black Bursa, Inchario Preto, Marrabout, Sarizeybek, and Martinenca Rimada

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, yes it is kind of easy to grow figs here although i have killed my fair share of cutting and trees. I had a Vista that up and died for no reason that I pulled out of the ground. Like the Celeste it was happier in a pot and did not grow or produce much in the ground.

Welcome aboard! I was in your neck of the woods for 2 weeks in Maui and 1 week in Honolulu for vacation 2 years ago. I like Maui a lot more due to all the flowers and mango trees every where. We visited all the water falls and that was some crazy roads. Loved the drive to top of the volcano and I think it was 11,000 some feet above the sea level. We drive through 7 minutes of thick clouds with about 10 feet of visibility and that was scary. The sun set up that high was awesome because We were above the clouds.

Tony

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tony, I love Maui because of all the beautiful scenery, diverse climates, and the fact the island is not too big or too small to get around. I went upcountry a couple weeks ago to see fall colors and pick up a box of Hachiya Persimmons, then came back down to warm and sunny Kihei.

Hi Mary, and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've had quite an exciting fig journey, and have found the perfect spot to grow figs and many other fruiting plants. You'll find lots of interesting conversations happening here, and I'm looking forward to reading about what you grow and how you get the best out of your native soils.
    Kate - Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia.
    on acreage in a subtropical/warm temperate growing region

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Mahalo for the warm welcome. It is bit different just reading posts and participating in posts but I am getting the hang of it. My husband installed a new modem and we lost internet for a while until he got it up and running again.

Welcome Mary
    The store is finally done.
    https://Willsfigs.com OR http://willscfigs.com

Comment

Welcome to OurFigs, Mary!
    Christine (Waddell, AZ Zone 9b) Wishlist: All my fig wishes have been fulfilled by OurFigs members. Thank you!

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha Christine. : )

Welcome, Mary! You live in paradise. I visited Maui this spring. It was a wonderful experience (except for the prices. I guess everything have to be flown in ) Ate a lot of local fruits. Love the papayas. I am planning to go to the Big Island next.
    Wish: Grise de St Jean, Nordland/Longue d'Aout, Florea

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, If you are visiting the Big Island I suggest you book a place to stay in more than one area if you want to see the whole island. It really is Big. It would suck to spend a good portion of your vacation driving back and forth daily to Kailua-Kona. If you are visiting the Volcanoes Park you should find a place to stay in Volcano for a a couple days so you aren't driving back and forth.

Welcome Mary!

Comment

Can't wait to hear more about your fig garden! I stayed in Kihei years ago, it was wonderful and I'd imagine great for figs.
    Oaken Rose, Hillsborough, NC Zone 8a

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, My figs, husband and 3 cats are really enjoying Kihei.

Nice!

Why does the mainland not ship to Hawaii? Always wondered about that?

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it is because items either come via Air or by Boat (slow 3-6 weeks) is why it is hard to find shippers to Hawaii. FedEx and UPS charge too much for even light items and that is the preferred method for a lot of companies. USPS is the best way to ship to the islands. I have not tried out the company officially called "Ship to Hawaii" that is a work around to send items from the mainland here.

Welcome Mary! I live on the Big Island and also a new member at Ourfigs. This is the best place to learn about figs from the kind and friendly members.

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion in PM. I am stilling trying to figure out to reply on PM... : )

Hello Mary and welcome to the forum! You live in Fig Heaven!! Those of us in the frozen north dream about sunny skies, fig orchards, and the occasional visit to a beautiful beach! We really loved our visit to Ohahu, the Big Island (stayed in Kona K) and Maui. To date myself, we had a hike across the bottom of the crater of Kilueah Ike (probably spelled that wrong!). Very weird to look at it erupting for years and years!
    Last edited by JustJill; 12-09-2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I have hiked the Kilauea Ike Trail. That is a beautiful, but long hike. I have not been on the Big Island since 2008. We have houses in Hawaiian Beaches and were worried when lava advanced towards Pahoa. Thankfully it did not destroy too much in town or get near the subdivision. I know of one person who bought a lot and moved their house to a different subdivision out of the predicted path of lava.

Do you guys have fig wasps in Maui or any of the islands in Hawaii?
    Wish: Grise de St Jean, Nordland/Longue d'Aout, Florea

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not think there are fig wasps in Hawaii grasshopper.

Welcome to the forum Mary.

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, thanks for the welcome.

• reydmd
      reydmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of mango trees growing too in your area.

Aloha, Mary! Welcome! I was in Hawaii a few years ago and loved it. It is one of my favorite places to visit...beautiful weather, beaches, scenery and most friendly people. I’d like to go back again after my boys finish college (not any time soon!)
    courtney

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha Courtney, Hawaii was one of my favorite places to visit before I move to Hawaii. Now I like to go to Portland Oregon, for great food, cheap happy hours, live theater and concerts.

Welcome Mary
    Wish List: Sodus Sicilian, Florea, Nordland, Improved Celeste, White Triana, Danny's Delight, Abruzzi, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, and thank you for the welcome

Welcome Mary, you have found the best group of fig and fruit growers on the internet. Well, as good as the best anyway. So glad you are among us, Bill NC7d or Raleigh, NC.

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Mahalo, for the warm welcome!

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!!
    WL: Sodus Sicilian, UCD Ischia Black, Pastiliere, Meteorito, Martinenca Rimada (the real one), and anything cold hardy that can survive outside in ground in 7A/6B with minimal protection.

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the welcome!

For those that live in HI, how difficult is it to have plant material shipped over there? It sounds like Harvey will ship cutting, but the OP also said she got plants from ebay...

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Cuttings are easy. It is hard to find people who ship plants to Hawaii because of the weight and AG inspection. The last tree I got thru eBay was a Violette de Bordeaux in 2015 and it was a twiggy baby rooted cutting. There are certified nurseries who will ship but shipping is expensive. This is how I get old Garden/Antique roses shipped to me in Maui.

Welcome .
    rio
    Zone 5

Comment

Welcome, you weather sounds perfect!
    Zone 5B: Rotterdam, NY

YouTube

Wish list: Planera (MP)

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, It is a little too hot in the summer, but otherwise ....yeah perfect.

Welcome to Ourfigs...
    Tony - Zone 6A
    WL- Popone, Rigato del Salento, Craven's Craving

Comment

• KiheiFigLover
      KiheiFigLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Aloha, thanks for the welcome!
Working...
X