X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staten Island Bomb breba

This has been one of my favorite figs each year. The breba and the main are awesome! It's an unknown from Sicily. It's very similar to Vasilika Sika BC or Stella, which I have both. Neither of those had any breba and the plants are giant. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's a lot bigger than that tennis ball.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Looks amazing Art!

I only had one breba on one tree this year, and I accidentally knocked it off doing the spring shuffle.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks Scott. That fig was so heavy that I accidentally knocked it off and it almost splattered. The back side of that fig wasn't so pretty.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, now that's funny. That is the kind of thing that happens to me all the time.

Looks tremendous. Curious that it ripened and the seemingly related didn't though I've seen that happen among Mt Etna strains. If looks could taste looks like a strawberry flavor.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Awesome Art. I have similarly huge looking Breba on one of my Brunswick trees. Yup,just one and looks awesome .it is starting to swell and turn color so I will post pics of it when it ripens. Funny I used a tennis ball for size compare also.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Art I have no more room for figs but that looks like a keeper. I will ask Pete if he will have one for sale in September.
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• kubota1
            kubota1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Rafael, I'd highly recommend it. It's not as vigorous as Stella and VS as far as growth, but it sure puts out great tasting figs. Next time you talk to Pete, tell him I said hi.
            My wife communicates with Pete's sister-in-law on Facebook.

I have 2 breba on a Stella but they are taking forever to ripen. One is drooping well (even more than in the photo, now) but still hard as a rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150619_183035.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	23549

Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice Bob. They will ripen any day now.

Awesome Giant fig. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
          Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Amazing how similar those varieties ( Stella, Vasilika, Dalmatie, SIB and Brunswick)look up until the fruit ripens. Then I think there are a couple of dark varieties also similar to those like Snake island and Paradiso but I don't know if they produce a Breba crop.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by kubota1 View Post
              This has been one of my favorite figs each year. The breba and the main are awesome! It's an unknown from Sicily. It's very similar to Vasilika Sika BC or Stella, which I have both. Neither of those had any breba and the plants are giant. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's a lot bigger than that tennis ball.
              Hey Art. How does the main crop compare to Vasilika and Stella when it comes to taste! Thanks in advance.

Comment

Chris, They are all three very close. It just seems that SI Bomb always is a tad better. It's hard to say why.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

Plus the Breba. Thanks Art. Good to know.

Comment

Great looking fig Art. SIB is on my list of "Someday" figs. I don't have the Stella or VS either, I just remember reading about it in an article maybe from the Times that someone posted on F4F or maybe I found it in a search. Anywho, sounded good.
                    I take it that freeze that hit after you put out all your figs didn't turn out too bad? You're getting a good deal of figs, congrats on that!
                    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• kubota1
                      kubota1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I posted about this one last year on f4f.

Luckily this one was in my greenhouse when it hit 28 that night. There were about 150 others that had to start over.
                    Art
                    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Hi Art.
                      That's an awesome looking fig, it looks like you can eat it like an Apple.

Vigo

Comment

Working...
                      X