X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot heat reduction

Get into that time of the year when the sun starts to cause concerns with potted plants. Thought I try an inexpensive way to help reduce the heat using auto sun shields and bungees. The shield cost only $1 at the dollar stores and the same for the bungees. Was able to wrap the smaller pots, however only two third of the larger Sips. I wrapped the west facing side to aid in mid and late afternoon heat build up.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Cool. Keep us posted. Do you have a thermometer to test the difference it makes?
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

No I don't, however, on figs4fun greenfig ran a pretty extensive post on the effects of pot heat. He did test and grafted all the results. Very informative.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

The pavers can get pretty hot too on hot sunny days. Sort of like a hot plate. I slide the pot right up to the edge of the sunny side so the surface of the paver isn't exposed and build heat, either that or just let the grass grow a little taller on that side. The heating of the paver is a good thing in the beginning and end of the season though.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• DaveL
          DaveL commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point thanks for the input.

I currently have mine out in white 5 gallon bucket sips with white plastic covering the top. Anyone think overheating should be a concern here in Ohio?
        Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

I have 1 gallon nursery pots sitting in 3-5 gallon pots and 5 gallon pots sitting in 15 gallon pots. The inch or two of shade space around the inside pots is enough to keep them at a normal temp.
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• rusty hooks
            rusty hooks commented
            Editing a comment
            This pot in pot method with a little something in the bottom of the larger pot to raise the tree off the bottom helps create a small updraft air circulation..further removing heat

I use some larger ceramic pots with potted 15's and smaller ceramics with 3's and 5's...those trees without are placed strategically so they get later shade or minimized direct sun late in the sfternoon.
        Working...
        X