X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Boxes

I promised a plant to Mike and have delayed shipping it to him because I need to locate a box that will fit a plant that is about 8 inches across and about 12-18" tall. Any ideas? Where do you guys get your shipping boxes from?
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Most people make there own custom boxes. I just sent a tree to Dave and built the box to fit the pot and tree height.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I keep the boxes used to send me things, for turnaround delivery. Amazon boxes sometimes fit the bill too. If a box isn't the perfect size, I secure soil by taping in damp newspaper or paper towels over the soil, then tape the pot in securely to the inside of the box so it won't move around, and fill the rest of the space with wadded newspaper or plastic bubbles to help cushion the plant.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

The post office and FedEx stores also stock a range of box sizes for shipping. Get the closest match, tape the plant as a seat belt, and cushion it with bubble wrap or newspaper.
        Sarah

Comment

Ok thanks for the guidance. I found a stack of unused boxes I picked up a few months ago for another purpose and cut them to fit. Perfect! I'll post picks later.
          Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

fantastic. I think it is the way to go personally. If nothing is close, then modify it.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Go to USPS and register.......request these. https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...=priority-mail They will be delivered to your door 100% free, as many as you want. If they are too short cut the flaps off one box and slide it over or inside another one and you now have a 1 gallon pot size box as tall as you want it. The stick in the pot determines the height.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Whiterk
                Whiterk commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! Thanks for the awesome tip! So glad I asked the question and so glad your responded!

Wills has it right! I had them drop off ten cases of boxes recently.

Comment

Wills, this knowledge is gold. Thanks for sharing! I have a ten-pack order placed.
                Sarah

Comment

I use about 1,000 USPS boxes annually for chestnut shipments but generally use U-Line for boxes to ship trees to get the shape/size I want, but I've used many different USPS boxes stacked together for various plants as well, but that's if I have the time.
                  My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Working...
                  X