X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with BB-10?

From reading some old threads over at F4F, his was supposed to be the greatest black fig ever: vigorous, super productive, FMV free, early (and hence suitable for northern climates). Not to mention, the tastiest fig of them all.
    Can anyone corroborate this? Or is there some exaggeration involved?

"Holy Grail Figs" come and go, as do a lot of fad or boutique figs. Go back in time and look at the "Fad" figs that have come and gone.

The BB10 is, by all reports a great fig, it is not distributed enough to really tell. I don't have one, not looking for one, I had rather have a Native Black, mine died.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

• MSfiglake
      MSfiglake commented
      Editing a comment
      Lost my native black this year as well.

What does BB stand for? I wish everyone starting a new post would spell out the name , at list for the first post, we have many newbies. Thank you , hope that doesn't come across the wrong way
    Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

• zone5figger
      zone5figger commented
      Editing a comment
      'Black Beauty'

• Mario
      Mario commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!😊 that was simple I should have figured it out

• oceandweller
      oceandweller commented
      Editing a comment
      Could have also been Butt Buddies, Black Beard, Bastone @@@@@@@s, Best Blues, hmmm

What is supposed to be special, besides the flavor, is that it is from a completely different genetic line, from Persia. FMV free is a bit of a red herring. Any fig in the mediterrenean or California may have fig mites, and many infected cuttings and plants travel to the rrest of the country. So what? Most people say fmv is not an issue anyway, and I agree. The most badly affected fmv cultivars from California, Ischia Black and Black Madeira, have done fine for me here in zone 7b. So who really cares that BB-10 is fmv-free (and this is the first time I have heard anyone mention that). But we do need more people to review the flavor. My BB-10 is young, and does not seem as healthy as could be, but it is growing indoors for the winter.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rafael. Agree that FMV is not a huge issue. The only comment I've seen (other than from Dan) is from CajunB who loves it. I wonder if anyone north of Louisiana has grown it successfully.
      How do you know it is from Persia? I never saw this mentioned anywhere. Thanks.

• Rafaelissimmo
      Rafaelissimmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan’s original post in FFF said it was from Persia and praised the genetic uniqueness of this cultivar.

I have 2 from 2 sources. Both are young. I may have figs next year. If so, I’ll report back.
    www.NJFigFarm.com

Comment

Will let you know. Bought mine as an air layer and it dropped a few leaves, doesn't seem to be dead or dying, but it isn't showing new growth either...not sure what's going on.

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless you're keeping it very warm and under lights, it's probably dormant, or at least trying to go dormant.

Originally posted by MyDogMike View Post
      Will let you know. Bought mine as an air layer and it dropped a few leaves, doesn't seem to be dead or dying, but it isn't showing new growth either...not sure what's going on.
      Is your tree indoors? Must be since you likely won't be expecting growth outdoors. BB10 is a very strong growing fig. I suspect yours will take off when conditions are right.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

I suspect so. It's under grow lights and on a heat mat, just like my young ones, but it just seems to be doing it's own thing. Like I said it isn't dead just deciding whether to grow or wait I guess.

Comment

In my experience air layers can be slow to take off. Often the media is so dry when they are taken that there are no active roots. It can take a lot of babying to get the roots back into a growth mode. I've tried it indoors this time of yr and it can be slow going.

Comment

The medium of an airlayer needs to remain moist for viable roots. How can anyone expect to produce a rooted airlayer in dry potting soil?
            Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

• fruitnut
              fruitnut commented
              Editing a comment
              The media can dry out during the rooting process. When it does it can be very hard to rewet. So the roots already present quit growing. Maybe it's never happened to you but it has to me.

• leon_edmond
              leon_edmond commented
              Editing a comment
              So what I do is I watch my airlayers very closely and I will open the airlayer container to wet the medium periodically so that the roots don't dry out.
              Another option is to mix dry hydro gel in with your airlayer.
              Look at this link. I don't use their products but the idea was given to me by another fig collector.
              http://airpropagator.com/buy_online.php

BB-10 is the best fig ever! I hope I still feel the same after I taste it. haha

Seems a little shy to bear when young. Decent growers with pretty leaves.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

I had a couple of fruit this yr. This on a first leaf fig from cutting and over watered. I thought the taste was interesting. Not great this yr but maybe next.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• ako1974
              ako1974 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice portfolio!

• greenfig
              greenfig commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like Noire de Caromb or Kathleen’s Black. Nice pics!

2 letters and 2 numbers?
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Fabio, You may know all this already but just in case;
              Dan Abadie found this one growing in his area in Louisiana and named it BB10 (2 numbers 2 letters). As was noted above BB stands for Black Beauty and the 10 because he felt that it rated a ten on a scale of one to ten - in his opinion.

I bought cuttings last season directly from Dan via eBay. I grafted mine and ended up with two small trees. One didn't grow much while the other sent up a single shoot about 3' tall. No fruit yet but hope to see some next summer.

Nice job on getting yours to fruit uhh fruitnut. Nice pics. Thanks for posting those.
              Zone 6b. West KY.
              My eBay username is fruitnut.
              Fig Well and Prosper!

Comment

My three BB10 trees are quite big, it is ROBUST but when young it is a shy bearer which I knew going in. Two trees are in ground and one is in a 3 gallon pot destined for a friend. One in ground tree had 4 fruit, other had 0, the potted tree had 3 fruit. The fruit is QUITE good, would rate it a 8/10, I think this year it will be even better. I was always of the opinion Dan would not share it because it was not as good as he hyped it to be.......it appears I was wrong.
                Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Can you speak on it being an early ripening fig? Maybe suitable for NE growers?

Comment

Mike,

It is so hard with young plants to know......mine was not very early but that is due more to its age AND the fact that the original tree had two 2 gallon airlayers removed from it as well as multiple small airlayers. The original tree had its main trunk airlayered in two spots which knocked down from 5' tall to a foot tall. It had to grow back before it formed fruit so it is just not possible to know yet how early it may be. The airlayer that was the biggest is the one that didn't fruit. The one that fruited was the original plant. It did grow back from that foot tall to 6' tall and GENERALLY that strong fast growth tends to indicate a good candidate for those in shorter climate areas.
                    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Gotcha, I guess we shall see.

Comment

Wow, I am glad I asked about this fig. Usually, if a fig doesn’t produce for me the first year, it’s a goner. I decided to make this one an exception, will see.
                        The photos and description as a shy bearer remind me young NdC. Anyone has both to compare? Or Kathleen’s Black? I suspect those 3 are very similar ( although my NdC was better than KB in my climate).
                        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I think you meant BB-8.... round and R2 wanna-be
                          Ike
                          bergen county NJ 6b
                          Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Working...
                          X