X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nordland vs. Longue d'Aout, and post-auction trading questions

So after I finished rubbing my hands together in anticipation, I looked up a few of the lesser known (to me) varieties Phil and Dave offered up at the first auction. I've heard great things about Longue d'Aout, but I didn't realize that some think that Longue d'Aout and Nordland may be the same fig. I just bought a Nordland Bergfeige tree from Raintree a month or two ago. I'm planning to keep Dave's Longue d'Aout to grow and compare the two trees, but anyone have experience growing both of these? Do you think they're the same? In any case, both look so delicious that I won't mind having two of them!

Also, the rooting/small plant space that I have is 200% overloaded with duplicate plants. I'm trying to find a new home for some of these to make room for others I don't have. Anyone up for a trade, either for cuttings/small plants now or plants later in the year? A few of the cuttings I won are for trees I already have, or there are enough cuttings to share (Mission, Alma, Kadota, Celeste, Flanders). I also have spare LSU Purple, LSU Gold, Wuhan, Italian Black (Becnel's) cuttings that are rooting, and a few small healthy Marseilles Black VS, Sultane, and LSU Hollier plants. I have a few Smiths too, but they need a month or two to get stronger.

If any is also looking for a home for extra cuttings/plants now or in the fall/winter, please let me know if you'd like to trade any of the above. I'm looking for Col de Dame Gris (and Blanc), Figo Preto, Stella, Black Madeira, White Adriatic, Battaglia (Greg has already kindly offered to share cuttings later), I-258 (hey, worth asking for, right?), Grise de Saint Jean, pretty much anything with the word "Gris/Grise" in it, and maybe an interesting Portuguese fig like Abebereira. I already have Bourj. Gris thanks to a very generous forum member.

Trades would be great if you've up for it, but also happy to just send plants/cuttings without trading. I'll be going to Gary's fig gathering in August, so if you're going to that I'm planning to bring plants there! In the end, I'm just hoping to come out with a somewhat smaller but more diversified collection than I currently have.

Thanks!

Edit*
    Update: All Sultanes and Smith plants now spoken for. That was fast.

Edit**
    Plants [all Sultanes, all Smiths, 1 Marseilles Black VS, 1 Italian Black (Becnel's), 1 LSU Hollier, 1 LSU Gold] are spoken for.
    Cuttings (1 or 2 Flanders, 1 or 2 Alma, 1 LSU Purple) are spoken for.

I still have some spare cuttings (Mission, Flanders, Alma, Kadota, LSU Purple), small plants, and two 1-gallon LSU Holliers. Ping me if you're interested.

By the way, I know there's a heat wave and summer is the worst time of year to ship plants, so can set them aside to ship later in the fall or winter when the plants are dormant. I would like to figure out a game plan for the spares though, so they don't linger in limbo!
    Last edited by Sarahkt; 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Update: Thanks for the PMs. so far a couple Sultanes, a Hollier, and maybe two Smiths are spoken for. Still plenty more.
    Sarah

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Sarah, there's a rumor that a 5 gallon Italian 258 will be a raffle prize at the gathering. How's your luck?

• Sarahkt
      Sarahkt commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to hear from you, Gary! What was that about Italian 258? Sorry, I needed a moment to wipe up the drool... Intriguing, I will try to think lucky thoughts. Though if Mike decides to come out from Chicago for the raffle, then I'd say everyone else's chances are slim.

By the way, those two Italian 376 cuttings I got from Harvey are struggling a bit under my care. They're finally starting to root but mold keeps cropping up and the frequent diaper changes has been tough on them. Still, we've got some time until your fig fest and should both make it, one still has your name on it!

Also, it's your fault that I want Abebereira now. My wish list just had Panache on it once upon a time, and now I've got extra figs I don't need and lots more that I do.

• Sarahkt
      Sarahkt commented
      Editing a comment
      Edit***

I guess it's too late to edit the first post and can't comment on it.

Everything's spoken for, will ship out cuttings next week and plants when it's cooler. Hope you enjoy the free offerings!

I'm assuming you got the tree I hope it arrived in good condition, check this out they are similar but not the same http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....d-2014-7041699

Wish List -

Comment

Thanks, Dave! I did see this. They both look delicious and somewhat similar, some size difference but reasonable with crop variability. This and a couple other threads like this one (http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-longue-d-aout) raised the flag. I guess I'll be growing them side-by-side, so I can compare the two for myself.

The tree and the cuttings are both set to arrive tomorrow. Such riches.
      Sarah

Comment

Working...
      X