X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum changes.......

Soon you will notice a few changes to the boards. The biggest of these changes will be the threads page going from 12 topics per page to 25 or so. The font size and font family will change. There will also be a few smaller changes that I hope people will like. The forum may do odd things during the transition
    Plant sales are closed until further notice.

Anywhere from 25 - 100 sounds good

Can we choose from 25, 50 or 100?
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• WillsC
      WillsC commented
      Editing a comment
      No

Thanks for your efforts, Wills!
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Is there something in the way this forum is set up that automatically logs me out after a certain amount of time with no inbound http activity? This evening I've been writing replies to a few posts, and get error messages indicating my credentials aren't current, or that I don't have authority to do that action (post a reply or post a comment). Yet although the indicator above shows that I'm still logged in, I find that if I swipe and copy to the clipboard, then logout and login again, I'm able to post the thing I just typed. Is that because of some timeout occurring? Or maybe it's because you're busy editing the forum configuration or something (and temporary). Anyway, if it's a timeout, can it be extended?
      Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike,

It had been set to timeout at 15 minutes, it is the default. I changed it to an hour, does that work for you or do you have another suggestion?

• MichaelTucson
        MichaelTucson commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Wills. Yes, an hour sounds good to me. The 15 minutes was too short for me (I often multitask while visiting the forums, so a distraction that takes me beyond 15 minutes was all too common, and was frustrating). Moving it to one hour sounds great... thanks Wills!

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem at all, glad to help.

I like the idea of longer threads showing. Thanks.
      USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        Joann,

What do you mean by longer threads showing..do you mean more threads per page? If so that is in the works and I hope is rolled out soon. If you meant something different clarify it for me please.

• joann1536
        joann1536 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, WillsC, that is exactly what I meant. More threads per page. I guess I need to get the terminology down. ;-)

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        Joann,

The threads per page will be expanded from 12 to 25 and we will see how that does. I hope that will be soon.

I get timed out all the time if I get distracted or long winded in my typing. When I try post it tells me one of two things, which I can't remember exactly. It does auto-save, but often times the last sentence or two aren't there. So if I try post and get the message I do as Michael said and copy-sign out-sign in-paste. Sometimes, it won't let me copy, but if you "Preview" you can copy from there.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        The timeout was moved to an hour so I hope that helps.

Wills, one feature that would be nice would come into play when you are re-visiting a thread. In that case it would automatically take you to the point in the thread where you left off reading last time. I've learned to like this feature on figs4fun but don't know how difficult it would be to implement here.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        I am in agreement with Mike, a tool to go to unviewed comments would be great. At first I really liked the comment idea in this forum software. However, when people post comments on the 2nd page of a 4 page post that I have already read, I'm likely to miss them.
        It is hard to keep up with lots of topics otherwise.

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        The "Notifications" settings in your personal "User Settings" will automatically notify you of both comments and posts, when activated to do so.
        Click on the Hyperlinked topic name when you check your forum messages and it will take you directly to the new post or comment...

• MichaelTucson
        MichaelTucson commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah well, such are the breaks I guess. Here's hoping that the forum tools expand and someone finds a nice way to do this. Because:
        @WillsC: well, you'd think that a person who asks a question might logically go back to look for answers that were posted as Comments, but in practice it doesn't seem to happen. If the person who asked is someone who's in the habit of looking to the first unread post, then why would they ever go scroll back up to look at their own posted question? Even a few examples that I've seen, right here on this new forum, involving people we all know. Only if they change their habits...
        @AskPete: Yes, I noticed that feature. And I have it turned on (but not for long). Here's why: My email inbox is flooded by them, because the granularity is only for subscribing to threads (not individual posts). So not only is my inbox flooded, but it's so much so that it's effectively an unusable feature... I won't open every email and look when there are 30 or 40 of them... they all overlap and take me into the same thread. So I'll just look at the subject lines and decide which threads to look at. But I still might miss the individual comments.
        @eboone: Exactly! Because the pages scroll over, I'm unlikely to go back and look at "stuff I've already read" (even though I haven't read the new
        Comments there.
        All: yet another issue: Look what happens when there are enough comments that they become a scrolled subwindow! Talk about hidden! In the absence of tools to navigate Comments, I'll probably revert to just always creating a new post and (if it's a reply to an earlier post) quote the one I'm responding to. I've already seen answers I provided in Comments be apparently ignored, so why bother writing if the response is sort of "hidden" from too many readers?

Ah well... here's hoping that somebody builds in some reasonable version of this into one of the forum tools. Even something as simple as taking me down to the first unread "point post" (Comment) OR to the first unread "integer post" (Post), whichever is highest.

Thanks for listening.
        Last edited by MichaelTucson; 02-24-2015, 06:50 PM.

I dont' see a way to search the whole forum. Only individual threads. Can we have that feature please?

Comment

RE 'comments'. Michael Tucson commented:
        All: yet another issue: Look what happens when there are enough comments that they become a scrolled subwindow! Talk about hidden! In the absence of tools to navigate Comments, I'll probably revert to just always creating a new post and (if it's a reply to an earlier post) quote the one I'm responding to. I've already seen answers I provided in Comments be apparently ignored, so why bother writing if the response is sort of "hidden" from too many readers?
        At first I really liked the quick comments too. But there have been times when I've made a comment only to see someone below in the thread has said the same thing. Also I notice that if the original poster deletes his original post, the comments are deleted too.

Unless it's a quick quip, or a comment on the last post of a thread, I now prefer to write a separate post (like this one) instead of tacking on my 'pearls of wisdom' somewhere in the middle of a thread where they may never be seen.

edit: In fact, I didn't even see some of the first comments of that last long cluster because they had already been folded out of sight.
        Last edited by Gina; 02-25-2015, 11:53 PM.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Agree with what Gina and MichaelTucson both have said on the comments, don't think I will be using them for significant content
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Is there a way to email a member or pm is the only option? I find the PMs a little confusing, how they count what's in the mailbox and what's in there
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

Comment

• newnandawg
              newnandawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Go to your message center. On the left side there should be a "compose new" in blue. Click on that.

Oh, yes, how does one become a member?
            I am at 51 and still Junior? Not that it matters but curious...
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

Comment

greenfig - it is supposed to be based on number of posts. I thought it was at 50 though, maybe they reset things. I thought Kelby graduated from Jr at 50.

I see above F.Bennett is a member at 49, so I am not sure.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                30 for me.

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                The software is probably counting posts and comments... participation (just a guess )

As Ed said, It's supposed to be a numbers thing, but it appears not to be consistent.

Greenfig, I'm also a bit confused about the private messages, visitor messages, and notifications here. I expect I'll get used to them eventually.
              SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Well, when I hit 50 and 51 it still said Jr Member. I closed out and came back a while later and now it says Member. Not sure if it was the leaving and returning, or if someone fixed something. I see greenfig is now graduated too.
                I'm sure there are still some forum setting adjustments going on. Not worried about it. I am certainly "Junior" to many here in terms of experience.
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed, congrats!
                  I think either the software doesn't respond immediately or you have to relogin to see the update of your status

Comment

Or a certain Admin forgets to hit "update titles" after messing with the system.

Comment

Wills - blame it on the dog in your avatar
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Gina
                        Gina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        'The dog ate my updates?'

The pictures are too small while viewing in somebody’s posts. I am on a Mac and even the right clicking does not give me an option to view a larger version.
                      Is it possible to make them larger or to add a button for the handicapped people like me?

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Let me check in to that.

Greenfig,
                      At the moment I can't change the picture size, it is a known bug and while I have options to use or not use thumbnails and the size of the previews none of it is working. As a work around until it is fixed if you click on the thumbnail and open it then right click the picture you can open it in a new tab or window and that picture is full size.

Comment

Loving this look Wills. Great job.

Comment

Thank you, Wills!

Comment

• WillsC
                            WillsC commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Glad to help...I hope they patch the issue soon.

I love the look as well. Good work, Wills!
                          Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
                          Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Thanks all appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Suddenly, the figs home page keeps defaulting to Ascending order rather than the preferred Descending. Everytime I look at a thread it switches back. Annoying.
                              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• WillsC
                                WillsC commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That was me should be fixed now.

• Harborseal
                                Harborseal commented
                                Editing a comment
                                LOL.
                            Working...
                            X