X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob' Genovese Nero breba

There has been some confusion as to the identity of this fig, but whatever it is, it's tasty! This breba ripened today, and it weighed 84 grams. Almost too sweet, chewy and full of flavor. The skin is thin and overall a delicious fig. It does have a large eye, which might be problematic in areas where it actually rains. Works here though. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	24190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	24191 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.JPG
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24192 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3682.JPG
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	24193
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

you didn't show me that fig Gary...

good thing....nice
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• rusty hooks
      rusty hooks commented
      Editing a comment
      But you introduced me to it as a Black Jack....???

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Blackjack is inside, Rob's GN on the driveway side.

• rusty hooks
      rusty hooks commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow...both of them giant sized....nice

Why is it bad if I is larger or open in area where it may rain?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Taverna, the eye provides an entry point for moisture and insects that can damage the fruit; in humid/rainy environments having an open eye can lead to souring of the fig.

Gary this looks like a great fig whatever it is. Do you have a main crop forming?
      Last edited by Rewton; 06-25-2015, 08:40 PM.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Steve, yes, a large main crop is forming. I'll add pics when I get a chance. Thanks for answering Taverna's question also.

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I understand.

Nice, Gary! Does it taste similar to any other variety you have? If so, which ones? I may have the same one, but would like to see where it ranks in flavor. Thanks
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Frank. I have another one almost ripe, so I'll try to answer your question after tasting it. I don't remember it tasting like others. I just had my 1st Madeleine Des Deux Saisons, and it was very jammy/chewy like this fig.

Hi Steve. Here is a photo of another ripening breba with some main crop as well. The tree is loaded. Leaves are mostly 3 and 5 lobes, with a very Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3788.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	25254 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3796.JPG
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	25255 few singles.
      Gary USDA 9A
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Looks great! It will be interesting to compare all these different figs that were obtained under the name Genovese Nero and see if/how they are related. I have two and based on leaf shape one is quite different from the one you show while the other is somewhat similar.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Gary, here are the pics of the main crop from my last years tree, same provider. And this is what I said. "This is the largest fig I have ever grown. Only wish my scales were working. I would guess that it is at least 3.0 oz as it is much lager than the Persian White at 2.67 oz. Not only is it huge it is also the best tasting fig thus far for 2014. Not overly sweet with hints of pear and maybe just a little honey. Very refreshing. I will give this a 9."

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• figgary
            figgary commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mike. Have you gotten any brebas?

• dobemom
            dobemom commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, my...looks luscious.

• newnandawg
            newnandawg commented
            Editing a comment
            No brebas but has a good many main crop lurking at me. LOL

This one is a Rob's also. It don't look quite ripe but was almost mush on the inside. Probably from too much rain. Pretty good taste and should improve with age and normal weather.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• figgary
            figgary commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you, Hershell, that it will get better with less rain. It's been unusually dry here.

• Whiterk
            Whiterk commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks wonderful. I can only imagine what it taste like.
        Working...
        X