X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please respond ASAP

I have very large fig tree in my garden. No altering size of garden because I live in town home association. I was think of make fresh cutting but I think of make my old way. Old way.

Is too big for area. She fight with grapes vines

Now lots of trunks. Mulch covered and roots from each trunk. I take as sucker or prune back and do pot and bag over the top? I am very tired.. I hope right way is sucker route ahahaha
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Simply ground layer at least 1/2 of the trunks, place split containers (nursery pots) at the base of each trunk with potting soil, similar to air layering, but you have roots that are already growing, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...2497#post12497 ... cut away the containers when there's a good amount of roots in each pot.
      Good Luck.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

But tis take time yes? I need out ASAP or grape going to dominate fig. I keep re directing grape but fig grow seem like inches per day. Is bad to do old way? Or can I tie up fig with ground layer so no touch grape? Will tie up hurt fig? Is special tree.

Comment

• Hershell
          Hershell commented
          Editing a comment
          Kill the grape not the fig.

• Taverna78
          Taverna78 commented
          Editing a comment
          I not kill the fig just give it a hair cut.. Plus if I kill newly planted grapes then I can't sit like a king under trellis and eat grape and fig at same time! Ahaha!!!!!πŸ˜‘πŸ‘ŠπŸΌ

This is a very nice tree Mike. What variety is it. I like the leaf shape . Does it have any figs on it?
        Try to take a small root sucker and see how easy it is. If it comes out with good roots maybe this is the right way. If the roots break off I would listen to Pete. Looks like you have lots of suckers to play with anyway. Maybe try a couple the old way. You're the boss!!

Comment

Also keep in mind that they don't all have to be saved. You can just cut them out and toss them, maybe not ideal but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

β€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

ChrisK. I receive tis tree from my Zio a few year ago. He bring me from Italia. Come from same mountain as Bi39 but on the opposite side. He say is blanco fig. No scientific name. Like Bi39 the just call all purple and Blanco ahaha. Tis is only one they know of there. They walk the mountains daily to farm and have been doing so for many many years. I have yet to see fig on it here because is in the ground and the past 2 season I did not cover heavy enough and it froze to soil level. So has had no chance to do anything. This past season I cover very heavy and it make it so maybe I get a fig tis year. I hope. The leaf are huge and the tree grow very very fast...

So what I do is tis. I make 3 fresh cutting in pot with bag in top. And because it rain so much lately the mulch pile was very loose so I just gently pull back mulch to expose roots and find enough root and sever it from the main trunk. I was told to snip all leaf off beside a few on top and snip those leaf in 1/2. So we will see. Here's some photo....
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Chrisk I take photo tis morning for you if leaf. A few leaf over 12 inch long....
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Mike, take cuttings with roots wrap in moist paper towel put in zip lock baggie. Then mail to me. I pay you. Hahaha.
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Mike, take cutting with roots wrap in paper towel put in ziploc baggie. Mail to me with bi39 i am going to win in auction. Hahaha
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Taverna78
                    Taverna78 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jmaler,
                    You know what.... That not bad idea! You guys think I should add one onto the auction?

Looks good Mike, I think you have it right. I'm sure they will do perfectly fine. Nice that you have another tree from the same mountain. Keep us updated with their progress. I wish I was a fig collector when I was traveling Europe.
                  Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

I sure will

Comment

Bump

Comment

I have no advice, but that is a beautiful tree you have there.
                        Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Grazie

Comment

Working...
                          X