X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick looking Galicia Negra

Got myself a Galicia Negra, but it doesn't look so healthy. Hopefully it bounces back and put on some growth before the summer ends. I don't know what the brown spots are.

I removed it from it's old mix. It was mostly pine bark with little dirt. I was surprised to how much roots it had. The new mix consist of Miracle gro nature's care potting mix, perlite, vermiculite, iron tone, wormcasting, and is sitting in the shade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11014843_10203151278181649_2486710598640378462_n.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	24414 Click image for larger version

Name:	10501766_10203151278621660_6081273001251936512_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	24415 Click image for larger version

Name:	11651325_10203151882276751_366470679_n.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	24416
    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
    Everyone should have a green thumb

The leaves look nutrient deficient, Several doses of a dilute Water Soluble Fertilizer should green them up quickly.
    Also young fig roots need a well aerated mix for best growth. Please keep us updated on its progress.
    Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Looks pretty saturated for small tree. I suggest as Pete. Maybe loosen up mix around roots a bit and add some large perlite or clay pebbles. Even some rocks. Nothing absorb. Wait for it to dry up a bit then hit with good fert/water. Just in my on experience.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I removed as much of the old stuff as possible. I should have rinsed it off, but it's potted now. I have it sitting in the shade. The person I got it from said it was about 70% harden to sun.

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Just curious...
          Was there any signs (pellets, etc) of fertilizer in the old potting mix?
          Usually the pale leaves are an indication of extended Nitrogen and or Magnesium (nutrient) deficiency.

In most cases simply up potting the entire root ball of small plants results in less transplant shock and faster recovery and growth..

Summer shipping is rough on plants in active growth. I'm sure in a few weeks after is settles into it's new home it will push out some new leaves which look just fine. It will probably drop some or all of the leaves it has now in the process, not a worry with that many roots.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

The spots look like fungus and nothing to worry about. Agree with Pete it is 100% a nitrogen deficiency. I run in to it all the time as I try to keep my plants throttled back on nitrogen so they don't grow too fast as it makes shipping harder. There is a fine line though and too little N and that is exactly what happens.
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

No there wasn't any pellets or fertilizers from what I can tell. Looked to be just coir, wood chips, and perlite.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
              The original potting mix looked like it was working quite well for promoting healthy root growth, the only missing ingredient seemed to have been a balanced (complete nutrients) fertilizer.
              Good luck.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call Pete. Like you also said previously up potting without disturbing the roots has worked very well for me on small plants. Disturbing the root system when not dormant seems to be a bit risky. What kind of fertilizer would you use. Standard 10-10-10 ok? Mg all purpose or tomato food ok?

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                I usually fertigate with Dilute MG fertilizer, from a topic @ F4F, http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=6837609 I've gotten good continuous growth using this simple procedure. You could use any complete water soluble fertilizer that includes all the macro and micro nutrients or hydroponic fertilizers.

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome. Thanks Pete.

She is alive! Well she was always alive, but now I see growth with two buds opening up. The diluted MG, Epsom salt along with fish emulsion is working. I also change a bit of the mix into something with more pine bark and perlite to get more air to the roots. Thank you so much for the tips and advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11733365_10203215635790549_557982980_n.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	26907

Comment

Wow, those new leaves look very healthy. I hope it continues to grow strong for you.
                Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

WooHoo...we need more GNs. Keep up the good fight!!! Excited to see that things have turned around for you.
                  Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Wow. What a lovely transformation.
                    SoCal, zone 10.
                    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X