X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L'Isle sur la Sorgue

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/vaucluse...g/islesorg.htm

Very interesting town that they call a "city- island" .

All along the walled river surrounding the town are many huge fig trees growing out of the cement looming over the river. When I first saw these trees with clusters of huge green figs hanging from the branches, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I pulled off several of the darker ones to inspect and found that they were soft and dry on the inside. These trees most likely were volunteers from bird dropped seeds.
    So, when fig hunting in Europe, you can't assume anything especially off season.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

It's a shame they did not pan out, regardless of the taste quality, the trees them selves misty be quite the sight.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

City Island, that's in the Bronx. Different one, with no doubt different figs. A funny movie was made there of the same name/title a few years ago. No figs made the movie that I recall.

Best wishes on your further travels.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Thanks for the travelogue. More photos, please
        Bob C.
        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Love the pictures so pretty. Continue having a blast Joyce

Comment

On the website at the link you provided the 3rd photo from the top appears to show a river with an old wall beside it. Hovering over the wall is a tree with large leaves - a fig?
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Steve, there were wild figs growing out of the concrete everywhere around the walled river. What you see is one example.
              Today, in Nice, we saw a row of perfectly manicured wild fig trees along the side of a major piazza. It seems they are being used ornamentally.
              Frank Tallahasee 8B
              North Florida Figs

Comment

I think we should send Andyfiggerseed AKA Brackishfigger over so he could wander the country, city and riverside grafting quality figs to all those of dubious parentage.
                Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Working...
                X