X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig pizza: with caramelized onions, sliced figs, goat cheese, and prosciutto

Why? Because we can. Because we SHOULD.

This was attempt #2, using a few early figs that weren't so amazing that they needed to be eaten fresh, divided lovingly into quarters and set next to a coin for scale (you know the elaborate ritual I'm talking about). These were "cooking figs." Half vegetarian and half with prosciutto.

Pre-baked the crust a little too long, but the flavor combination was delicious. I'm sure our arteries loved it too, but then pizza is only a "sometimes food."

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

ohhh sarah very nice except for the goatie cheese. Me no likey goat cheese. Only one of the five things I won"t eat: Peanut butter, goat cheese, lamb, brussel sprout, anythings that hops. Wonder if I could use brie instead. But I don't have any ripe figs. I will just eyeball the pizza and enjoy. Did you make the dough from scratch? Joyce

Comment

Joyce, I used a pre-made dough from Trader Joe's, the herb kind. It was quick to prepare and tasted pretty good. I didn't feel any shame.

The next time we're in the mood for an opulent pizza, we'll try to make everything from scratch including the crust. Chauqg told me he likes to make his own sourdough crust, maybe I'll ask him for his recipe! I have sourdough starter in the fridge that I haven't had a chance to mess with yet.
      Sarah

Comment

Joyce.....all goat cheese is not the same...well made and carefully handled goat cheese is really very mild and tasty...but it doesn't take but one bite of a goat cheese which hasn't been handled properly to turn you away for life.....I kept myself busy milking 29 head by hand to help with school in the early 70's...quite the experience...but I did learn a ton about making goat cheese and preserving it's flavor....there are some real good ones on the market these days...at least out west here....

congrats on the BI-39
        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• Sarahkt
          Sarahkt commented
          Editing a comment
          I find it hard sometimes to judge when cheese is intentionally stinky vs. just plain bad.

• rusty hooks
          rusty hooks commented
          Editing a comment
          With bad goat cheese...theres no question...it's not like camenbert or brie....it STINKS...

if you've ever smelled a billy goat in rut...bad goat cheese isn't far from that....

well done goat cheese is mild and flavorful....and it's made these days in a miriade of different herbed styles.

Even dry goat cheese, if done well...is mild...and the aging takes a real trick

I hated brussels sprouts as a kid. Thought they were absolutely disgusting and entirely suspect. In first grade, I remember it was "show and tell" and one boy elected to come in wearing a necklace of cooked brussels sprouts around his neck. He told us how much he loved them and invited everyone to come take a bite off of his veggie necklace. Some kids actually did. It was memorable.

My other early exposure to them was trying them overboiled. I figured it was one of those things that some people just inexplicably liked.

Then later on, I tried them pan-sauteed with onions and bacon as a mezze at a restaurant. It was a whole different ball game after that.
        Sarah

Comment

hmmm interesting. we finally got a Trader Joes in Tampa. Sarah....no shame in using premade ingredients for our cooking. I do it all the time. But.....sorry guys just can't make myself go for the goat.....LOL Joyce or the sprouts. They make the whole kitchen smell like a poot factory.

Comment

Joyce, when it comes to sprouts it all boils down to how they were cooked. Overcooked/overboiled is completely horrible, but artfully prepared ones can be delicious.

I enjoy goat cheese, but I've only tried the standard mild types from Trader Joe's and other stores. Thankfully haven't encountered a wide range in quality like what Ross is describing.
            Sarah

Comment

Working...
            X