X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black spot on trunk of fig tree question

I was out looking at my trees this morning and noticed this unusual black spot , any idea what it might be? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233 copy.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24814Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238 copy.JPG
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	24815Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240 copy.JPG
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24816
    Wish List -

It looks like dead Cambium layer. It may have been winter damaged by a cold draft.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete should I leave it alone or is there something I can do to help it heal?
      Wish List -

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        There isn't much that you can do. Hopefully the area will become compartmentalized and the healthy cambium will grow over it in time. Cutting back the trunk and establishing a new one is another option. Its not recommended but I often use pruning sealers to protect damaged areas from exposure before the loss of bark and outer layers, like a 'bandaid'

I was just thinking it could of gotten wet when I was watering during the winter and possible froze to the trunk
      Wish List -

Comment

Here's a photo of a trunk that was exposed to a cold draft during winter storage, this was one of the lucky ones that's still alive. It will be cut back close to soil line and one of those lower buds will be trained as the new main trunk. Several others were already cut back to the soil line once the bark turned black. The pictured tree still has a single healthy upper branch that will be air layered.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5472.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	24826
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

This has been educational, to the laymens eye, it looks like someone held a lighter up to it
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I scraped the trunk and it is all dead underneath the black goes approximately 3/4 around the diameter of the trunk I had 4 nice branches up top so I just finished air layering them , the tree was getting too tall anyway it was the first one to blow over in a moderate wind Once the air layers take I will cut away the black thanks for your help Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.JPG
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	24900
            Wish List -

Comment

Working...
            X