X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting potted figs from rain

Hello everyone.
    I bring Tis subject up before but now I start to worry. Most all my trees are in the 3gal pot stage. As much as some of you will hate to hear Tis it has been 26 days of rain out of the past 31 days. Some days very heavy other days light mist. Some days storm then sun then more rain. Every tree I have started out perfect looking. Even in ground trees. Now some leaf almost every tree has rust spots and other spots or discoloration. I never see Tis happen before but also never Tis much rain. Should I some how cover the soil in pot tops to let them dry up a little? And is there a very good fungs spray I can apply to trees to stop leaf issues??

Grazie
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Yes you can cover the tops of the pots with plastic trash bags and use neem oil on the leaves
    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
    Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Oil is ok for leaf?

Comment

Neem oil is safe for the leaves.
        I was watching how to grow pepper plants on utube.
        The person used sulphur and copper powder mix,bought from Lowes.
        Sprinkle the powder on the leaves to kill fungus and bacteria.
        Plus the sulphur and copper feed the plant.
        New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Interesting

Comment

I use neem oil on all of my plants, 1 tsp per quart of water and spray it on the leaves. Neem oil is also good for the soil, it's all natural and breaks down within 12 hrs. I also add 1 tsp of epsom salt to the mix for added nutrients.
            Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

I will look into Tis. Sounds like a few people do it. What make me laugh is where these trees come from growing wild. There's no one taking care of them and they have been doing great for very long time. I guess if you take something out of natural environment you must take extra steps in order for it to continue on.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                rusty hooks commented
                Editing a comment
                Mike,

In the wild they aren't under constant observation and supervision.....

another old timer fungus spray is potassium bicarbonate....still sold today....helps clean things up and offers a little preventative...add a little cinnamon spray and it smells good too.....very old school stuff

as long as you get the rain...you will have the fungus and the rust problems...especially when the heat turns up and the humidity skyrockets

• Taverna78
                Taverna78 commented
                Editing a comment
                I must do something soon. Problem is even if I apply today. Rain tonight. And everyday for next week they show. I just waist it applying when rain comes yes?

In the wild they have less to worry about when it comes to over watering. The water is be distributed throughout the soil and adsorbed by other plants. In pots that's a different story.
              Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
              Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Tis is true but my trees in the ground. No pots surrounded by many other plants is doing very poor Tis year. It has just been way too much water. We get average month rainfall in 3 hour last week.

Comment

Working...
                X