X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter's Honey fig = Kadota

Description taken from Edible Landscape. What's up with this?

"In zone 7, Kadota is an open bush, ripening most of its figs on last years growth. The fruits are yellow, medium to large size and delicious, ripening best with full sun and hot temperatures. Also known as Peter's Honey fig. Kadota is a popular fig because as a canned product it can be purchased in super markets in the US. Kadota is excellent fresh and very sweet. It sometimes ripens a few early figs that are extremely large. Space @ 10' circle"
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

There are some discussions about this on the other forum. One of the biggest problems with Kadota vs Peter's Honey is that they are sometimes marketed under the same name, as you just demonstrated. That means that folks have bought and sold under that name, propagating the mistake. So now you have folks that have tasted both and said they are the same (because they were the same...one was just labeled wrong), and others who say they are different.

Many who have grown both do find them slightly different though. I am not one of those people, so my insight stops here...haha
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Thanks brettjm, i'll check it out on the other forum.
      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

EL also says Lattarula is a San pedro type...mine isn't.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine either.

I saw a site that claimed VDB and Petite Negri are the same??? is this true?

What about Lattarula Honey and Italian honey?
        Last edited by COGardener; 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          On the usda/ucd site the ascension descriptions have synonyms sometimes, I'm not sure how to search by name though.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...lay.pl?1000020

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          I have VDB and Petite Negri growing side by side, at this stage in their lives, the leaves look identical so I can see the confusion. They are both TC plants from Well spring Gardens so I hope they are true. There is always a chance of error by them or Agristarts.

• MichaelTucson
          MichaelTucson commented
          Editing a comment
          I too have Violet de Bordeaux (from Encanto, and from Herman indirectly, two trees)and Petite Negri (from EL) growing side by side. Though I think they are related, I do not think they're the same. This is based on a couple of characteristics of the fruit: taste, size (despite very close soil culture, treatment, and weather/sun/exposure conditions being side by side), and ripening time. I've concluded that they're similar, but not the same.

It'd be kind of a letdown to suddenly learn that Peter's Honey is the same thing as Kadota. I thought they were distinct beasts.

I've tasted storebought Kadotas and while I'm sure they're much better picked fully ripe, I'd have trouble reconciling the glory that is Peter's Honey (from reviews on the forums, like Dennis') with the woody cotton balls I've tried from the store.
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• MichaelTucson
          MichaelTucson commented
          Editing a comment
          They ARE different, Sarah. It's just the confusion caused by some places having sold them mislabeled. Kadota and Peter's Honey are not the same fig, regardless of the confusion.

• Sarahkt
          Sarahkt commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Michael. That's a comfort. As long as the source that I bought the PH from knows that too!

Anyone ever buy a Peter's Honey from Raintree, and compare with a Kadota? Were they different or identical? I ordered a PH from Raintree earlier this year, no fruit yet. I'm curious because there's been multiple threads on some people (including sellers) confusing PH with Kadota, and nurseries selling them interchangeably. Since my first tree I bought from them turned out to be a Reverse/unknown instead of a Panache, so there's a precedence for mixups there, at least in my experience. Mixups do happen, and I've been pleased with my other orders from there, but still want to clarify on this point.
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

There are over 300 varieties of figs. A lot of them taste similar. A lot taste different.

See apples.
          also plums.
          and peaches
          oh and EVERY OTHER FRUIT EVER

Comment

• Garlic_Mike
            Garlic_Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            Make that well over a thousand varieties
        Working...
        X