• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol... What does the winner get? More cuttings to root? hahaha
    Tony - Zone 6A
    WL- Popone, Craven's Craving

Comment

More than I planned for..... as normal.

But less than last year, as I promised my wife.
      Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
      Wish List: Bass' Fav, Col Littman's Black Cross, GM-172 Gozo Girl, GM-175, and GM-25

Comment

• ramv
        ramv commented
        Editing a comment
        So, how many is it?

• CliffH
        CliffH commented
        Editing a comment
        Only about 16 varieties.

• grasshopper
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        Just tell her half of that won't make it. If they did, it is just luck

90 some. In my defense, I wasn't sure what my success rate would be. I started off with the 3 cup method and did not have very good results. I changed things up and am having much better luck now. My wife has been very supportive through all of this, but has cut me off at this point.
      NE Ohio Zone 6A

Comment

• grasshopper
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        Cut you off? Wife?! 😲

I haven't added it up yet - 20? I don't usually start rooting cuttings until February at the earliest. The easiest is to start them outdoors in May.
      Steve
      Dickerson, MD; zone 7a

Comment

Im currently at 36, and need to pat myself on the back for keeping it so low.. lol! Compared to my 1st year being upwards of 225, of which 187 were successful, I’m super proud of myself! Then again Harvey’s big cuttings sale is just around the corner.. sooo my whole moderation plan could potentially get blown out of the water.. Must.. exercise.. RESTRAINT!! 😉 hehe
        WL: Sangue Dolce, BNR, Calderona, La Bourgeoisie
        My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Comment

• grasshopper
          grasshopper commented
          Editing a comment
          Which method did you use? But you can't use the 50-50 excuse ..

It is still too early in the season to be thinking restraint. There are probably Spring sales as well..

• Jkanyok
          Jkanyok commented
          Editing a comment
          asking for a friend... When is Harvey's big cutting sale expected? 😉😉😉

• Laeotis
          Laeotis commented
          Editing a comment
          Speaking of Harvey's cuttings, I also have a friend who needs to know when they will be available, said he was holding out for the good stuff!

About 40-45 cuttings as of now, but for some reason that number keeps going up! Lol
        Wish List: Corynth, Craven's Craving, Bass Favorite, Ischia Black, and Col. Littman's Black Cross.
        Picayune, MS Zone 8b

Comment

So you are looking for a public admission of guilt?!

I will count later and probably make another post about "no hope" and "addiction", lol.

I guess I can do it because the wife doesn't read the forum, yet, to check on me.

If she got notifications I would be toast!

Mike

Comment

When I get the last of my cuttings from Wills I will be in the 175+/- ballpark for cuttings. There's Malta Black, MBVS, Luv, RDB, Tarantella, Statan Island Bomb, Genovese Nero AF, CDDG, Sodus Sicilian, Sweet George, LaRadek, St Anthony, and about 10 more kinds beyond that.
            WL: ALL GREEK FIG https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Comment

• ramv
              ramv commented
              Editing a comment
              Nic40 now in the lead by a comfortable margin.
              Anyone feel up to challenging him?

Nic, you still have a long way to go to beat Jamie’s record from prior years though. Gives you something to aspire towards.
              Of course that person who started 700 cuttings towers over the rest of us

• Nic40
              Nic40 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol. Having 3 kids and a full time job I don't think I ever want to break 200. The only reason I started this many is I'm planting my orchard in the spring. Most my cuttings did come from Jamie though

• grasshopper
              grasshopper commented
              Editing a comment
              Nic, did you say the same thing at 100? I think you should keep it under 300, which got a nice ring to it. Or beat the guy at 700 🤣

I only have 29.

And 7 of those are from my own plants, insurance against winter kill.

So really just 22.

Not many at all.

Very manageable.

Comment

Oh I am to at least 100 cuttings in so far and probably that many more coming up. I also have a bucket full of pomegranate cuttings to be cloned tomorrow.
              figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄

Comment

I am wondering if fresh figs produce / contain some kind of prions that are absorbed by the human body and that act on the brain in a manner similar to those that cause Mad Cow Disease.... let's call it Mad Fig Disease aka "The Addiction"? The definitive symptoms include but are not limited to an overwhelming, impulsive and totally uncontrollable desire to acquire and grow as many delicious varieties of figs as is humanly possible with no consideration of cost, space, any environmental barriers / challenges or any other possible mitigating factor....

I believe if true, no one found to be in the throes of such a debilitating disease, could/should/would be held accountable for their actions resulting from said affliction....
                Tony - Zone 6A
                WL- Popone, Craven's Craving

Comment

• Fygmalion
                  Fygmalion commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am also a huge fan of fig scent.... Some folks find the scent exuded by some varieties somewhat objectionable, likening it to "cat pee".... not me.... I find the scent very comforting.... Doing some introspection, I concluded that the scent was likely tied to pleasant memories of my childhood growing up in an area and around people where figs were very common and part of the culture... The olfactory system... smell, I have read, can be a strong memory initiator....

• grasshopper
                  grasshopper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last weekend, I smelled a fig tree before seeing it towering above my head

• arachyd
                  arachyd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One of the symptoms of the disease is an intolerance for foods normally enjoyed by most of the population such as Fig Newtons. Those suffering from Mad Fig Disease are often unable to eat even 1 Fig Newton.

I have 125 cuttings in 30 different varieties. Not too bad considering this was my first cuttings season. I've done 4 waves of ~30 cuttings, every 2 weeks. I'm going to have to find more 3-5 gallon pots real soon!

On a side note, my husband cut me off after 10 cuttings.... then he bought me a little greenhouse. So I uncut myself off. Lol
                Titusville, FL- zone 9b

Comment

I’m feeling so... abnormal. This is my first year rooting cuttings and I should have at least 100 in progress, with at least another 100 waiting in the wings.

I have 11 full cuttings and one single node cutting currently rooting. There are nine different varieties — three of which are back-ups for my trees. If any don’t survive, then I’ll start a second cutting of that variety.

But it would be a shame to waste all the other back-up cuttings sitting in the crisper drawer... Maybe there’s still hope for me.

Comment

• ginamcd
                    ginamcd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I remember back in the fall when I was relatively new here and a local member pm'ed me to very generously offer me some trees as they were thinning the heard. I was very touched by the offer, but kindly declined given that I knew winter storage would be tight. Or so I thought.

Now that I've seen just how little space my seven trees take up in the shed....

Today I started seven single node cuttings after seeing how well the single node cutting I started last month is doing.

I am embarrassed to even tell my number. Right now I am at 327 varieties and over 700 cuttings. I have only been collecting since July.

President of the "go big or go home" fig club.
                  WIsh List: Any Moroccan fig.

Comment

• Nic40
                    Nic40 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lord knows he will have some extras for trading

• TorontoJoe
                    TorontoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At some point you have to post a list of the varieties you're growing... Curious... How many fig trees did you come into this winter with before the starting the cuttings? Are they from your trees or acquired?

• Ficus_Vitae
                    Ficus_Vitae commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Allen!! Wow!

After demonstrating remarkable self-control last winter with a mere 15ish cuttings and a big purge of trees, I've succumbed to the addiction again. At last count, I'm up to 46 cuttings. Add in a few fall-rooted cuttings that are overwintering indoors and a few cuttings that already died on me, my total count is in the 50+ cutting range. Those cuttings cover 8 varieties which I'm cloning either for extras or to give away and 15 new varieties.

There were originally only 3 varieties on my to-acquire list this season. There's no sane reason I should have ended up with 23 varieties for winter rooting. I blame the large number of enablers on this forum and the pushers who keep posting mouth-watering pictures and sumptuous descriptions of fruit. Thankfully, I've come to my senses and stopped myself from getting any more fig cuttings. Now, I can move on to the next overdone winter gardening project when the pomegranate cuttings start coming in.
                  Johnny
                  Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Rewton
                    Rewton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's very similar to my story!

10 fig cuttings still rooting. 5 cuttings got healthy roots and humidity dome is off, up-potting tomorrow. 5 varieties total.

Any more than say 10 trees the gf will have me evaluated. Giving the extras away to friends and family.
                  Zone 6a - Quincy, MA

Comment

• Jkanyok
                    Jkanyok commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will hear this again and again here... Just make sure that your girlfriend knows there's only a 50% success rate, so what she considers excessive is really very reasonable for a final count. That excuse, uh, reason, is a great way to explain away at least another 40 cuttings or so. 😉

• SteveT
                    SteveT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha good point. I also gave her some tiny cutting trimmings I took before planting. "Here, smell these. This is what the apartment will smell like!"

• Jkanyok
                    Jkanyok commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oooh, fig cuttings smell sooo good don't they?! It's my absolute favorite part of starting cuttings.

I'm not starting cuttings until Feb., should be around 20 to 30. I have shown restraint this yr. So far.
                  Brenda East Tn. wishlist: Maltese beauty, moscatel pretoia, Panache, I-258, LdA, Red Lebanese bekaa valley, Col de Dame Blanca/Negra, CdD gris.

Comment

Did this today and last night. 70 pomegranate unk. I will experiment with figs too.

*edit
                    2 were below soil and have roots
                    figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄

Comment

• JoshHolbrook
                      JoshHolbrook commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! How’s the taste on that variety?

WHEN I finally get these cutting orders out starting cuttings is the next order of business......will probably start 2000 or so.
                    Starting In about 2 weeks spare air layers will be posted to the site including some high demand varieties.

https://Willsfigs.com OR http://willscfigs.com

Comment

• grasshopper
                      grasshopper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wills is on a different level, dimension... hmm.. fig universe..

• WillsC
                      WillsC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It takes a couple weeks, it gets boring and you have to be so careful you don't make mistakes.

• TorontoJoe
                      TorontoJoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So... Anything worked on past 10:00pm just labeled as "Surprise Fig"

I got a great Sicilian Red, or maybe it's a Desert King from Pino this way

Over 150 already rooted maybe another 24 cuttings on the way, way too many

Comment

• grasshopper
                      grasshopper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You guys must have huge backyard or McMansion to hold all those cuttings.

Originally posted by treeguy View Post
                    90 some. In my defense, I wasn't sure what my success rate would be. I started off with the 3 cup method and did not have very good results. I changed things up and am having much better luck now. My wife has been very supportive through all of this, but has cut me off at this point.
                    What method did you change to?

Comment

• treeguy
                      treeguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm wrapping with parafilm.

Just a Newby 25 varieties 80 cuttings. Heaven help me Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fig Leaf Eden View Post
                      Just a Newby 25 varieties 80 cuttings. Heaven help me Lol
                      You will be fine as I was confused and wondering last year but everything worked out great.
                      Naeem
                      Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

2-300 when all is said and done, but it’s not my fault! A nice friend let me prune his new unknown cold hardy, so most of the cuttings are from that or from trades resulting from that.

Comment

• Fygmalion
                          Fygmalion commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Its none of our faults.... its the fig prions I tell you....

...oh look, something came in the mail.

Comment

• Fygmalion
                          Fygmalion commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking Pino Quality good.... How can one resist?
                      Working...
                      X