X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JF&E Black Maderia

I know several folks no longer read at F4F, so I am cross-posting here. You might have read on the JF&E Black Maderia discussions or purchased one so this might be helpful. I am glad to hear JF&E is trying to make right with folks.

I was finally able to make contact with the person that Brandy named as the source for the cuttings of the group of Black Maderia cuttings starts I discussed with her about not being correct in Fall of 2013, and which I believe are what many of you received. He did confirm that he did send cuttings to JF&E. I am not going to identify them here in respect of privacy but will share part of that discussion here. They are very knowledge about growing fruits in general, figs as well as many other plants, but probably not as obsessed with figs as most of us, and I really enjoyed speaking with them.
    They have never grown Black Maderia, but have heard of the fig. I don’t believe he has any fig from Maderia that he is aware of, so maybe JF&E confused the actual source of the cutting in our conversation or the mixup occurred at some other point. They did not recall exactly what cuttings he did send to JF&E, but he is quite familiar with LSU figs and lives in LA, and when I asked about possible black fig suspects LSU Scotts Black Name did come up, but I have not did that compare myself yet as a possibility.
    JF&E does have that potted mother tree from USDA UC Davis, and has put out valid BM trees. The small unhealthy looking tree I picked with the earlier start date in that fall 2013 visit as I stated in prior posts is dead on to my USDA UC Davis tree. I wish now I would have picked up one of the others just for comparison. So some of you might have received the true BM. Really a pretty easy call if you have ever observed a true BM, as the other plant is quite different from what I have seen. Just an idea but I believe Dennis thought his looked correct and I believe he stated ordering the last 3 they had available. Maybe those last couple trees left that had been picked over for lack of vigor and generally less healthy looking were true and showing the character more consistent with most BM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Nick in PA just got the real one from JFE.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Saw his unpacking video, thanks for the foot work, I wonder if they have any more for sale, I'll be stopping by next month, keeping my fingers crossed. I can't wait to also get the Titan blueberry and give it a try as well.
      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Yes I saw Nick's postings and think he did get his replaced with a correct tree. I doubt JF&E would have any available for sale in any short time frame as I doubt they even have enough trees to replace the incorrect trees they need to replace. I just don't see their potted mother putting out many trees. That is why Black Maderia has remained a elusive tree for a extended time, while many others supply gains ground on demand. Lets convince someone to Tissue Culture this Guy and make available to all, and depending on who you listen to possibly FMV free
        Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

I'm surprised the agristart company didnt making tissue cultures of hard to get figs like this. Do someone has to send in a sample or something?
          Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
          Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

That is too bad.....they are such nice folks. I'm sure she felt terrible about the mix up.
            Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

If we tissue culture a fig I'd rather see Black Ischia.
              Bob C.
              Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Does anyone have contacts at a TC company? How much would it cost to have them TC certain fig varieties for us?
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I do. Let me ask.
                  Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

You might be onto something Willis. They might be very happy to have samples to start working with highly sought after varieties.

Comment

Working...
                    X