X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tissue Cultured figs

Since the topic can up on another thread this morning I've been checking into the science behind TIssue Culture (TC). I see that plants are propagated in a clean and sterile environment and in some cases eliminated of disease. I wonder if this method could get rid of FMV. If it does get rid of it I would buy the materials and and try it at home since TC supplies are available for the hobbiest. The method seems simple enough. Thoughts? Anyone know if TC does cure FMV?
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Randall I have read in another discussion the certain cells from the tip grow fast enough that they are not infected initially. I am interested in this also. I don't think the equipment to do this is too expensive. I have a perfect CDD to trial it on.

TC does not cure FMV

But

obtaining the uninfected tip cells allows propagation of an uninfected plant!
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

You have some good points. I know CDD and VDB would be great test subjects to see how it works out. What others are heavily infected with FMV that everyone would like to grow?
      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

I would have to vote with Bob's choice of Ischia Black in the other thread. I was actually lucky enough to receive a cutting 4? years back from USDA UC Davis and root it. as of last fall it was like 6 inches, and that top died back even while stored inside potted over winter and now maybe back at 6 inches but it has a fig on it!! It is eaten up with FMV so maybe TC not the solution, but a healthy Ischia Black would be nice
        Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

It would also be nice if the difficult to acquire cultivars were in the TC labs, make them more available to more people for a reasonable price!
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

For $200 kits are sold online. Maybe I will give it a try and see what happens. I think all a person really has to buy is the growth medium. Everything else can be found around the house.

Comment

Randall, could you please post a link to the site your looking at.

And if you do give it a try, i would certainly like to follow a thread on it.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

https://www.monstergardens.com/Propa...nd-Accessories
                I will think about it over the next few days and if I do try it I will blog it.

Comment

Excellent! !!!

Comment

Randall,

I can't remember which forum(s) had the discussion on the TC and it might not have been a fig forum. I know there was discussion on the banana forum too. What I do remember is that you can get a much better setup by buying individual pieces to make your own kit. For what we are looking to do I believe that a special microscope was needed. On one of the forums someone was doing TC work and had built their lab. I just can't remember much more right now. Sorry.

Comment

Sounds interesting I wish I could see some hands on. I'm going to price some parts of a kit tomorrow

Comment

Hate to be a wet blanket but there is normal tissue culture but that won't get you a disease free plant, just a lot of clones of the diseased one. The TC to get rid of the disease is more complicated and a LOT harder even in a professional laboratory setting. If it was easy people would have done it long ago. Not saying you should not try just research it before you drop your hard earned $$ on a home kit.
                        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Thanks WillsC. You are not a wet blanket at all. That's good info. I just couldn't find any info about it. I won't waste my time or money then. It just didn't make sense to me how it would rid viruses and now I know more that you posted it. Thanks for posting the info.

Comment

I think part of that was a higher Quality microscope, perhaps a dividing one but I really can't be sure. Wills do you know the difference that allows virus free cells to be harvested?

There are still lots of desirable figs that are virus free and may be excellent candidates for cheap TC!

Comment

There has been some discussions in the past, tissue culture along with Meristem Thermotherapy has been proven to eliminate most FMV.
                              http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-defeat-fmv-by
                              http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...fmv-free-plant
                              http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ity-discussion

Agristart claims that they "index" for the viruses and that the cultivars they currently offer are 'virus free'
                              They currently offer the following cultivars;
                              'Black Mission'
                              'Brown Turkey'
                              'Celeste'
                              **NEW** 'Chicago Hardy'
                              **NEW** 'Desert King'
                              'Ischia'
                              **NEW** 'Kadota'
                              **NEW** 'Lattarula' (Italian Honey)
                              **NEW** 'Little Ruby'
                              'LSU Purple'
                              'Magnolia'
                              **NEW** Olympian'
                              **NEW** 'Petite Nigra'
                              'Texas Everbearing'
                              **NEW** 'Violet de Bordeaux'
                              **NEW** 'White Marseilles'
                              **NEW** 'Yellow Long Neck'
                              Good Luck.
                              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I would be really interested in a few varieties, I wonder how to get a few of the plants, it seems they are wholesale company only, my father in law lives in the same city. Maybe I'll try to stop by there one day.

Comment

It seems that Wellsprings has all the varieties that Agristart propagates. Prices are very cheap! Thanks

Comment

My Well Spring TC figs are doing fantastic, they are growing nicely.

Comment

• AscPete
                                    AscPete commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I've grown or am currently growing 14 of the listed 17 Agristart cultivars from Well Spring Gardens (don't have Chicago Hardy, Little Ruby or Yellow Long Neck) and none have shown visible FMD symptoms, including Mission, VdB and Petite Nigra, which are notorious.

I purchased a "Blue Ischia" from Hirts Gardens, my only other Tissue Cultured purchase and it exhibited Mosaic Symptoms and Necrotic spots within the first months.

• COGardener
                                    COGardener commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I have VDB, Petite Negri, Lattarula, BT, Kadota and Olympian. And the same, no signs of anything. I've been FMV free other than some cuttings i rooted this year.

They will be keeps separate from the main group.

• fitzski
                                    fitzski commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Having lost out on the auctions, feeling the "itch" for more figs and the recommendation from you and Pete , I just placed on order with WellSpring. Great price too. $30 for 3 trees including shipping.
                                    Last edited by fitzski; 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM.

What is to keep fmv free tree from getting fmv when in area of fmv infected trees? In other words why spend money on fmv free trees when there are other trees near by that are fmv infected?
                                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

What transfers the virus? Pruners should be disinfected every time you change plants anyway. Insects can be controlled by chemicals or preferred oils, ducks, chickens and alike.

What else could cause it to spread?

Comment

The natural vector for spread is a mite, which apparently does not survive cold winters. Also grafting and probably unclean pruning technique.

I would think anyone living in a colder climate would have a better chance for your virus-free trees remaining that way. Here in SoCal, I suspect it would be near-impossible to keep trees from getting some form or it. There are several strains of it.

As for at home tissue culture, I suspect the biggest impediment would be non sterile technique and setting. And of course not having a good enough microscope to see what you are doing - the small growing tips required (the meristem) is indeed small.
                                      SoCal, zone 10.
                                      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Is there a predator for the mites? Or other means to keep them at bay? I have mites in Colorado (I don't what species), yet I have rarely observe them in my garden which is heavily guarded by spiders and Lady Bird beetles. Even so I've never seen them on the figs nor their pots.

Comment

Also, check out

http://www.hometissueculture.org/

http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/

Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
                                          X