X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for FMD and other foreign travelers!

I noticed in the sales brochure that Frank MD attached a link to that many of the fig names were familiar to me as being available here in the USA. My question is of the figs that you get to eat overseas and know the name of have you encountered any that you have sampled here in the USA and found major or minor differences in the appearance or taste? We have often spoken of how ones location and climate determine the quality of a said fig variety. I would think a whole continent would definately have some effect.
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Darkman,
    In my life eating fig in Italia and here I think fig here Taste much much better. For Italia the fig grow wild where I live and no one farms them because there are so many wild trees everywhere. So with no one farm them they grow in soil that is what they used to and do not rain much there. Fig there is very less tasteful and juice. For instance. We have few lemon tree next to house in garden. Big trees. The fruit looks perfect but fruit is dry. Maybe 4-7 drops of juice from entire lemon. Most fig by me in mountain are very hard to get to and are not too juice. The fig trees in valley between mountain next to river is very lush and fruit is delicious but unless is on you property you can not take fruit. So here USA we care for our tree. Best soil and nutrients best watering. Pruning and so on. Tis why our fig taste best then wild.but also remember tis.... South Italia may not have fig as tasteful as ours BUT there are many fruits and foods,meats cheeses and vino there that can not match up to the best most expensive stuff we have in USA.
    🇺🇸😉🇮🇹
    Last edited by Taverna78; 07-01-2015, 09:55 AM.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

There are some, like Sucrette and De La Reina, that are available here but the European figs with the same name appear to be different (and superior) compared to the ones with the same name here.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Wish I could be of help, Charles but we fly by the seat of our pants on these trips. We rely on the good graces of serendipitous recalculation a of our GPS app to find our figs. I can tell you that of the half dozen we've literally run across, they were all great tasting. And Charles, there is no fig rust here and no obvious FMV! The trees are all green and healthy. They have got to taste better. As for the wild ones... well, they are simply not edible.
        Last edited by FMD; 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM.
        Frank Tallahasee 8B
        North Florida Figs

Comment

• Hershell
          Hershell commented
          Editing a comment
          Are the wild ones caprifigs?

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you been writing down the GPS coordinates of the good ones so if you go back you can find them again?

• FMD
          FMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not familiar with caprifigs but I wouls believe Rafael's explanation.
          Unfortunately, often there is little time to take photos or get coordinates on most of these serendipitous finds.
          The good ones are growing in the vicinity of someone's property and I don't like sticking around loner than I have to. So far we've collected approximately 10 keepers.

No Rust and No apparent FMV. Assumedly they have similar insects that could vector FMV yet it is not seen and the rust surely is universal. As I viewed my trees yesterday I was struck by the lack of rust on a plant that was literally laying on an almost defoliated tree with rust. Your observations sure gives one pause to the statement that all figs have FMV but they just don't show it.

Your choice of words, "great tasting", certainly doesn't ring of they are better than what you have grown at your house. It doesn't sound like that you believe these are superior in flavor to the ones in the states. Is that a fair conclusion?

Of course I would imagine some of the visuals you are experiencing while eating the figs probably bumps they flavor quotient up a tick or too. I'm glad that you are having a great trip. Please continue with you travel notes. Love to hear them!

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• FMD
          FMD commented
          Editing a comment
          It is all so subjective, Charles. As an example, I love my Mount Etna figs to death, but I have not run across any of them here in France or during last year's trip to Italy, Switzerland and Greece. A good litmus test will be when I get to taste Ponte Tresa again, this time in Tallahassee.
      Working...
      X