X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adriatic Berry figs (green skin, red flesh)

Today I'm pondering Adriatic berry tasting figs, green skin/red flesh. I don't have much in this way and wonder if it's worth getting more.

First, possibly a silly question. Are Desert King and Filacciano Bianco of this flavor family? Mine are too young to have fruited, but pictures look like they ought to be. If they are (and prove to be productive) I may not need anything.

In my readings I've found the green skinned berry family includes:
    Blanch de Deux Saissons
    Brooklyn White
    Ischia Green
    CdD Blanc
    Adriatic JH
    Battaglia Green
    Vasalika Sika
    Paradiso Gene
    Stella
    Strawberry Verte
    Green Ischia (?)

At the moment I only have a young Adriatic JH in the ground, and the 2 San Pedros mentioned above. I'm considering adding another to grow in a pot, ideally with a decent breba crop as well...any input?
    Last edited by Kelby; 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

You can add Strawberry Verte to that list.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Good catch, Bob.

Hey Kelby,

I think you can add rock, rock, rockaway green ( ramones, anyone?). I also see Brooklyn white as an outlier. It is no more berry than lyndhurst white or lattarolla. Brooklyn white seems to be pretty bright yellow and the interior can be very light pink ( if we have rain) or slightly darker when flavor is concentrated but definitley not blood red like the others.

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points, Bill. When are you coming up?

Kelby, from what I have read (Gene H's description comes to mind) F. Bianco is considered more of a honey fig than an adriatic berry type.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't even think to check Gene's stuff, good point.

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
    Today I'm pondering Adriatic berry tasting figs, green skin/red flesh. I don't have much in this way and wonder if it's worth getting more.

First, possibly a silly question. Are Desert King and Filacciano Bianco of this flavor family? Mine are too young to have fruited, but pictures look like they ought to be. If they are (and prove to be productive) I may not need anything.

In my readings I've found the green skinned berry family includes:
    Blanch de Deux Saissons
    Brooklyn White
    Ischia Green
    CdD Blanc
    Adriatic JH
    Battaglia Green
    Vasalika Sika
    Paradiso Gene
    Stella
    Strawberry Verte
    Green Ischia (?)

At the moment I only have a young Adriatic JH in the ground, and the 2 San Pedros mentioned above. I'm considering adding another to grow in a pot, ideally with a decent breba crop as well...any input?

Are Ischia Green and Green Ischia (?) potentially different. Or is it like Adriatic JH where people put the JH first by accident?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I've been told that Ischia Green, Green Ischia and Strawberry Verte are all the same. I have a two-year old Strawberry Verte that will give me 3-4 dozen figs this year, so I am anxious to try them.

Also, supposedly Battaglia Green is originally a sport of the same Ischia Green, but perhaps better tasting. I have one of these too, but the plant is weak and obviously impacted by FMV. It is not producing any figlets this its second year, so I don't know if I am going to try to keep it or not.

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        Gene, my in-ground BG in its 2nd year didn't set any fruit until well into July and then it was too late for it to ripen. It was damaged quite a bit this past winter and sent up new shoots from a few inches of stump. Nevertheless, it started setting fruit well over a month ago so I think I will be able to taste this variety for the first time this year! Mine is relatively healthy though growing in ground.

From my research, Verte and Ischia Green are the same, Strawberry Verte is different.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Kelby I have to agree w above, I would not classify Brooklyn White in this group.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, that's off the list!

This is my White Genoa. I am tempted to add it to this group. But I wouldn't say strawberry jam is the taste.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

How about Ventura? It fits the description. One I really like.
          Art
          Western Pa -6a

Comment

Have 2nd or 3rd year Ischia Green that has not set fruit so far (ditto Verte), but first year Battaglia Green set fruit two weeks ago and growing well so hope for it to ripen. Calverte, Paradiso GM-9, Emerald Strawberry (143-36) all have ripened here and seem to fit as Adriatics, or honorary Adriatics at least, intense strawberry jam, green skin, dark red pulp. Emerald Strawberry ripened fruit as a 1 year old and has the most complex or at least most unique flavor profile of these.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Good input from all, thanks! Any must haves?

I'm thinking of pursuing Green Ischia, if nothing else because it was one of Hanc Mathies favorites and it's apparently quite hardy. Thoughts?
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                Rafaelissimmo commented
                Editing a comment
                Kelby come to the Staten Island fig fest, I will have a green ischia airlayer there!

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                When is it, Raf?

• PA Figs
                PA Figs commented
                Editing a comment
                I can make you one as well Kelby if you would like, however there is little possibility of it ripening in ground here in PA as it takes a LONG time to ripen.

Get one of each, wait 5 years to see how they do for you then keep them all
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't tempt me, Bob!

I'd add Calvert.

I doubt Battaglia Green is a sport of Green Ischia as it had been growing at Foley Castle in Petersburg, VA for many years. At least pre WWll. Even back in the 40's the BG tree was very large. It was Susan Battaglia who brought it to the attention of the folks at Paradise Nursery in Eastern VA who then spread it around. This doesn't mean 100% that it isn't a sport of GI but it does seem unlikely. A family that's worked with the BG from Foley Castle for decades thinks it's even possible that BG was the white fig that T Jefferson gifted to the family involved with Folly Castle back in 1783. OK --** I did not check my notes - this is from memory so if something is off a tad - sorry.

BG is a fig I gave Monticello for their historic fig collection (I also have Yellow Neeches and St Jean for them) and wouldn't be shocked if they labelled it the Folly Castle Fig.

I think, btw, that Green Ischia is very under rated. Green Ischia was ripe at the Center For Historic Plants at Monticello when I attended an apple tasting (i used to keep a lot of heirloom fruit) 10 or so years ago. I ran into their large loaded tree and ate figs while my sig O. was finding the loo. By the time she found me I had lost interest in most of our orchard and went home and soon ordered 50+ fig trees. I was hooked. And now trying desperately to get my collection down to 200 varieties (with little luck) still am.

I am looking for others who also have Blanche de Duex Saisons to compare notes. It is one of my favorites.

Comment

On another forum, Herman in New Jersey, Zone 6b-7a , recommended growing both Adriatic JH and Battaglia, with Adriatic JH ripening two weeks earlier than Battaglia. If they’re hit with storms that ruin ripening crops, you have a better chance of getting a good crop off of one of them. He said Adriatic JH tasted slightly better, but Battaglia was a more vigorous grow and producer compared to some of the other Adriatic figs. This thread: http://www.figs4funforum.websitetool...oto=nextoldest

For pot culture, CdDB or Smith sounds like it would be hard to beat, but they're said to have a taste closer to Black Madeira than an Adriatic taste. Since I haven't tried any of these varieties, I wouldn't know from my own experience.
                Mara, Southern California,
                Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Would Gross Monstreuse di Lipari be considered an Adriatic type??

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                    ​Desert King​​​​​​?
                    My understanding is that Desert King is a San Pedro and the type cultivar of its family. 🤔

A list of fig cultivars in the Adriatic family from Lance's database can be generated by
                    1. Go to the site, scroll down to the clear button and press it.
                    2. Scroll up to the Family drop down menu and select Adriatic
                    3. Scroll back down to the search button and press it.

https://higher-octave.com/figs/fig-variety-database/
                    Last edited by Richard; 03-04-2019, 05:47 PM.
                    Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

• ZomVee
                      ZomVee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      San Pedro type actually.

• Richard
                      Richard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ZomVee -- thanks for the correction 🤓

Smgg???
                    Wish list. White Baca, Rigato de Salento PB, 5 Terre A UNK, Figion/VdN (Rocco), Mario’s Casa di Lazzaro #50, Kafe Te Jiate, Creme di Fragola

Comment

Working...
                  X