X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dall Osso on Ebay

While this one again has been listed on Ebay. Does anyone have any fruit or leaf updates they can provide us with?
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Link?
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALL-OSSO-FI...item25a9201d1b

Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        ty

Here we go again ........ Leaf look different than last one? I wonder which one it is.
      Last edited by Taverna78; 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I'm the one selling it, it's not different, I bought the mother tree from olya 2 years ago. this is a cutting that I did this past march.

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Tis is dual color twin fig fruit or single ?

Rookie, have you saw any fruit yet?
          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

taverna and hershell, the mother tree which I bought from olya hasn't fruited yet.

Comment

Okay Grazie

Comment

I love Olya like a sister but I think eventually there will be some disappointed people once these trees start to produce figs, including Olya. Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.
                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                North Florida Figs

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why you think tis frank? Did you get my pm and visitor message?

• FMD
                  FMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's just a gut feeling, Mike? Whenever the question of definitive proof arises, there seems to be none....yet.
                  PM read and responded.

Has any of these trees produced yet?
                Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

Not that I have seen Sal. This is a classic case of people selling things without confirmation of what it is. Hopefully they are at least stating that much in their auctions.
                  Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                  Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

So is this the same tree that's being passed around?
                    Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

From $0.99 to $178 over night..... my oh my!!!!! Congrats Rookie!!!

There sure is a lot people out there with a lot of money.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks COgardener, the last one of these that was on ebay went for more than $1225.00 I believe. I also believe that sale was more of a bidding war between two people, I don't expect to get anywhere near that price. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sal, it's from the same mother tree, new cuttings that were rooted.

Johnnyq, most trees and cuttings that are sold on ebay are sold the same way, you don't know what you're getting until it grows and fruits, we buy on ebay with a certain trust, anyone of us that does so could be buying oak tree cuttings are far as they know. This tree is from a cutting that I started in march from the mother tree that I bought from Olya two years ago. I have stated in my ad that the mother tree has NOT fruited as of yet.

Comment

Rookie I must be missing where you stated the mother tree and your tree, havn't fruited yet for verification in your ebay listing?

I believe it is better to sell items from trusted sellers by verifying you have what you think as everyone makes mistakes. However, if you can't wait that long, you should at least disclose that you have not had fruit yet to verify. Otherwise, we end up with things like Rob' Genovese Nero, Black Ischia AD, Melanzana, etc.

Comment

• Rookie
                            Rookie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            johnny, my mistake, I DID state the fact that the mother tree hadn't fruited yet in this thread though in a response to hershell. I will revise the ad asap, thanks for pointing that out to me.

I am here in Italy and have had the opportunity to meet with a master heirloom fruit preservationist who maintains that the original Gallesio two-tone Dall'Osso has not yet been re-discovered. There is one man who is waiting for the plant to fruit in Italy, who may have finally nailed it. He says everything else is bunk. Period.
                          Rafael
                          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Rafael, makes you wonder what the trees on ebay might be?

Comment

The infamous Dall Osso. I got a kidney ready for that one lol

Comment

Nick, the Russians' Dall'Osso (and therefore all other Dall'Osso's circulating in the U.S.) are descended from a fake Dall'Osso marketed by Belfiore Vivai in Florence, Italy. It is decidedly NOT a two-tone Dall'Osso, it will produce, I am told, 10% of its fruit as an ugly single-tone double-fruit. The real Dall'Osso could produce up to 30% of its fruit as a two-toned lopsided fruit. That's what I am told over here on "the other side."
                                Rafael
                                Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• greenfig
                                  greenfig commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thatโ€™s funny, how is that known (30%, etc) if the original Gallesio two-tone Dall'Osso has not been re-discovered yet?

Thanks for the background Rafael!

Comment

Dual color/fig Dall'Osso... Like ladka... Please... Take my wife....๐Ÿ˜ณ

Comment

I have also got a Dall'Osso from Olya. She has told me their are two Dall'Osso, one that is one color which is this one and another that is two tone which she also has a lead on. She also says the fruit quality on the one we have is reported to be very good. She has no expectation for this one to be two-toned so she is not likely to be disappointed. I may have something here slightly mis-worded by that's the meat of it. No reason for any controversy, IMO.
                                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I am not sure that someone simply saying there are two Dall'Ossos just makes it so. If anyone tried to do that with any other rare variety there would be an outcry, and yet here nobody says boo. There is absolutely no known documentation or proof that there was ever an "alternate" Dall'Osso until certain nurseries in Europe started marketing it as such. And that alone does not make it genuine at all. Like certain nurseries trading on the Ischia Black name, which as you would agree is an abuse. So I really don't see the difference here. No pomologist or expert has ever identified the second Dall'Osso making the rounds as a legitimate variant, and simply marketing it as such does not make it so, I think you would agree.

• HarveyC
                                      HarveyC commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Yeah, can't argue with that. But I believe having either one is desirable, from my understanding of the one that is currently offered on eBay. I believe this comes from Paolo who is considered reputable, no? I had heard at one time that the real one was maybe just a legend. Glad you've nailed down a source.

• Rafaelissimmo
                                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Harvey, if you didn't read what I posted above, the fake Dall'Osso does not come from Paolo, it comes from Belfiore Vivai in Florence, which frequently supplies plants via the Russian connection in Italy. Paolo does not waste his time with fakes.

D'all Osso "from bone"

From what I read from the source it is an unknown, discovered and collected with no known history. It does not have "the bone".

I have an unknown that made a third double fruits last year. A bunch of people have it as Cacahuate, unique, kind of boring, non-controversial, a good name for a fig that looks a little bit like a peanut.

Comment

Well maybe bass will chime in and explain his fig. I known the two tone Dall'Osso was famous for being in painting. That's all I know of its popularity. But see photos... I have email in to tis site host and see what they respond with.

http://www.ficuscarica.com/carica.html
                                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Fabio, pictures 1 & 3 are the real deal, the picture in the middle does not appear to be the real McCoy. How could there be a picture of a fig that doesn't exist?
                                    Working...
                                    X