X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNK continues to Impress Anyone else growing this one

I call it UNK Italian White Bill's. I got from SaxonFIG (Bill) few years back curious if anyone else is growing and their thoughts on it. Last years was first year to fruit for me, I could not keep from going back to it. One of my favorite light figs. Large good tasting Breba crop and main crop. The good tasting Breba is a big plus for me as many Breba don't impress me. I just put in ground this year so not sure if that will factor big for me going forward with freeze back.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Phil, that looks good. Is it the same as the White Marseilles you gave me? Can't remember. Ha
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Mike,
      No but you liked it and the one I discussed getting to you . If you remember I had 2 plants one was kinda short squat the other taller and we were discussing if maybe I mixed up a tag, but pretty sure same now as this came off the tall one. Last year we we eating from the squat one. The UNK White Marseilles is good as well and pretty sure it is White Marseilles but I keep that UNK on it. It came from a friends homestead and actually the topic of my 1st post on F4F several years ago.

Comment

Looks great Phil. Very interesting interior color . Looks like both a honey and berry fig. Reminds me of a Brunswick. How's the taste? Please let me know if you have a small one for sale or trade. We're not that far away. I could ride up there and pick it up. I'm a white, green fig believer and like Ukns so... Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Phil, thanks for clarifying that and yes it was good and tasty.

Chris, its worth the trip just to see his place. Getting a fig/tree is a bonus.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Chris,

I am not real good at flavor profiles, but it's more of a Honey type not Berry. We ate 4 this morning and just asked my wife and she stated Honey/Floral not Berry and a very delicate skin. When I stated large breba I meant numerous not size. It's a average sized fig. I don't have any trees available presently. I did not start much of anything successfully this year. My focus was getting things inground. I should have some cuttings come dormant season. You are welcome to travel up here, maybe try a green cutting. I hope to try a airlayer on it before season out as I think I told Mike last season I would. I don't know it is a Italian fig but it came labeled to me as "unknown white Italian" I think I am going to ask him some more detail on it. The main crop last year did not show that much of a red color to the center and was not as pear shaped as the Breba. I would have a tree of he other UNK Mike mentioned. Here is a couple posts I made at F4F last year. I hope referencing those are ok here, if not if a admin lets me know I will remove. The one Mike asked about is shown there as well.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1283939806

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1283907239

Comment

Hey mike , thanks for the insight. Maybe we can all meet at a Wafflehouse up there for breakfast and then go to Phils' for desert!! Lol.
              Phil, Thanks for the reply and the invitation. We ( I and Mrs K) would love to visit you folks and if you do have a nice green limb you can share I d give it a try. I looked up the links and your figs look nothing short of amazing. Thanks for sharing. That tray full of different colored fruit is just yummy. I'm looking forward to tasting , celeste( a couple of different ones) Brunswick, Peter's Honey , Black mission, LSU Purple , brown turkey and Chicago Hardy this year so I consider myself very fortunate for accomplishing this in a pretty short three to four years of growing figs and I have a lot more to look forward to in the coming years thanks go the generosity of this and the other ( f4f) forum members. I ve only been a member for less than a year and have met( on line only so far) a bunch of wonderful people . They are conventional varieties but if you re interested in any ( cuttings or airlayer) let me know. Now we have the LSU field day coming up and Dennis' NE fig festival so it will be a very interesting summer. A breakfast meet is not a bad idea to get together and talk figs so if any other GA or other friends who do not mind making the trip ,let's make it happen.

Comment

Phil,

You'll have to ask Bill, but if it was labeled "Unknown White Italian," it might be an unknown from Pittsburgh that I sent Bill five years ago or so. I posted about it on F4F here: http://www.figs4funforum.websitetool...talian-3809551. The pictures there don't look exactly like yours, but the fruit varies from year to year, and I've had a bunch that resemble yours. Skin ranges from pale green to bright gold and the interior can be a pale amber or a deep reddish amber. The breba crop is usually just as good as the main. Might be a Kadota, but I'm not sure.

I got my cuttings from Giovanni Macchione: http://www.theitaliangardenproject.c...macchione.html. He started his tree from a cutting taken from Calabria. He didn't have a name for it. Here's a picture of his tree: http://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryServic...EO-SG-PA729031.

Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt,

I have a Kadota, and I have considered that as a possibility as well as Conadria. My Kadota has no brebas and the leaves look a little different but the later pic in that thread looks like it is it. The main crop does not have the neck the breba does. It develops nice sugar spotting when ripe. I will try and check with Bill and the info from your source is appreciated.

Comment

Matt,

The closer I read, the more convinced I am that is the fig, particularly with the variation of the fruit. I just emailed Bill. I like that website as well, to my knowledge I don't have a drop of Italian in me, although there are a lot of blanks in my history, but I love and grow Chestnuts as well so when I saw that posting I had to look and Harvey pops up in my screen.
                    http://www.theitaliangardenproject.c...tnuts-101.html Someimes the world seems like a small place.

Comment

Phil--let me know what Bill says. I'm curious to see if it's the same fig. My wife is not a huge fig fan, but she loves that one. It's one of my favorites, too.

Comment

I heard back from Bill, I have the Dotatto he mentions as well, but pretty certain I did not mix up the labels. I rooted 3 of each and they were consistent in the 3 of each group.

from Bill "If that fig is the one that's Mario's Unknown Yellow, I doubt I can offer much more info on it. I haven't had the fruit from that one yet. However, there is a possibility that there was a mix up somewhere along the way. I say this only because the fig you picture in those threads looks a bit like the one I have labeled as Dottato. Not saying for sure that it is just yet though. Especially since I've not had the Unk yellow one to compare it too. Just a possibility. I know I was quite impressed with the Dotatto I got from Mario. Very sweet rich flavor. That one is for sure a keeper to me. "

Comment

Working...
                        X