X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping new shoots?

Is there a way to stop new shoots from starting? I'm sure with the last two winters a lot of people have this. I have a few trees that died to the ground. They came back and sent up lots of new shoots. I thinned them out the end of last year. I need to thin them out even more down to three, but the tree just wants to keep trying to send out shoots from the stump. I'm guessing I just have to keep pulling them until the three trunks get bigger and establish the tree, but it's annoying! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Your tree is producing a lot of energy from its large root system.
    This energy has to go somewhere.
    Pinching out small unwanted shoots will initiate more shoots!

I recommend you wait a month, let a group of shoots establish and then select the best ones to keep.
    Then remove all the spare ones.
    The large root system will then be able to 'feed' these remaining stems.
    You actually have a good problem

Figster
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

I already have six nice sized shoots from last year. They are about 4-5 feet already. I am going to narrow down to three once I plant them back in the ground.

Comment

Some varieties can't help themselves....

Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Yes, with about 12 in-ground trees that had heavy cold damage this is the bane of my existence right now. I sterilize my pruning shears between each tree so this adds to the time required to keep the suckers at bay.
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Well atleast I'm not alone, lol. Like I said I'm guessing when the keeper shoots become trunks I hope it stops, but we shall see.

Comment

Let them grow, when the tree goes dormant, remove and share.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Steve
                What are you using to sterilize between trees?

Comment

• Rewton
                  Rewton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I started a thread on this on figs4fun last year. I dip the shear blades into 70% isopropyl alcohol and then flame them off with a lighter. Maybe I'm too paranoid but it's not hard to do.

Sometimes I used 90% isopropyl alcohol, sometimes I use my torch with MAP gas.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
                X