X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Run!!

Today, our last in Provence was a day that will not be easily forgotten. Like true Americans, we dropped by Pepinieres Brusset Fig Nursery in Caromb unannounced, and were given a royal tour of the operation, sampling of maturing figs, a basket of figs to enjoy later, and the undeserved incredible generosity and hospitality of being invited into their home for refreshments and more conversation. Turns out Jean Luc is as bitten by the fig bug as any of us. It also turns out that he has plugged into the North American fig connection and has his own private collection from LSU and UCDavis and elsewhere! Imagine my surprise to see Mary Lane, Black Madiera, Brown Turkey, Brooklyn Dark and Syrian Long in his collection! He even has an Italian 258 and he knows our very own Bass.

His main business at this moment is to get his Longue Noir de Caromb and Madeliene de Deux Saisons to market. The first crop of each is ripening as we speak. In two weeks Caromb holds its annual Fete De La Figue and he is deeply involved in the planning. Despite this, he took 2 precious hours of his time to walk us around his large property showing his private collection as well as the business side. My wife and I took tons of pictures and a small video. I will post them when time is made available. We exchanged emails and addresses like all good fig lovers will for continued contact. We discussed FMV, the wasp, rooting techniques (he simply plants cuttings in pots) and a hundred other things. I even showed him my YouTube videos of the Tallahassee orchard.
    What a day! What a great person!
    Here's a little something on his business.

http://translate.google.fr/translate...ml&prev=search

Here are a few of the pictures taken...
    https://goo.gl/photos/j24J2eWZtxgLnQQ28
    Last edited by FMD; 07-03-2015, 01:01 PM.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, Frank.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Can't wait to see the pictures.....anxiously awaiting at the kitchen door

I see he has F4F on his contact links....maybe?...

Thanks
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Home run indeed. Very well done Frank and Mrs. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Envious
          Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Sounds amazing. ... what a great day indeed!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Wow, that's great Frank, fun to read about.
              Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

I tried to look up 'Black Turkey' and could find very little reference to it. Can anyone say more about it? Thanks
                Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• figgary
                  figgary commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Greg, I have a tree started from a 40 year old tree in Carmel Valley. The woman who planted it, says it is Black Turkey. I'm assuming it is Brown Turkey, but she is adamant. Hasn't fruited yet.

A great day indeed, Frank. Happy that you had such a woderful experience. Looking forward to photos!
                Gary USDA 9A
                Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Home Run????

Maybe

More likely

a GRAND SLAM!!!

What an awesome experience!

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to play the video on my projection system. Maybe I'll eat some figs while watching and pretend I'm living it with you!
                  Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

What a great day Frank. Persistence paid off for you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
                    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

An initial sampling of pictures....

https://goo.gl/photos/j24J2eWZtxgLnQQ28
                      Frank Tallahasee 8B
                      North Florida Figs

Comment

Thanks Frank, those are some awesome looking figs. I hope you ate enough for all of us.
                        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Some of those would only require you eating two or three to fill you up.

Do you know the names of the larger ones?

Are they as big as they LOOK?
                          Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

This confirms that fig enthusiasts are the same the world over - totally friendly and generous with other fig people. I am also looking forward to hearing more. Maybe I will be able to follow in your footsteps in a few years, Frank.
                            Steve
                            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

What an amazing day! Congrats on your visit. Thank you for sharing it with us. Can't wait to see more.
                              Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

This should be more comete

https://goo.gl/photos/qPW1mF1yceLZLi1a8
                                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                                North Florida Figs

Comment

Did you ask him to sign up?
                                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                                    rusty hooks commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    .................................................!!

OMG!!! That's all I can say! im interested in the big green one that fills up your hand... My fig addition just kicked into high gear looking at your pictures.
                                  Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Those pictures are priceless, Frank. Some of those figs are gigantic! Thank you for sharing them.
                                    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Looks like a true fig mecca. Hopefully, you brought back some souvenirs from your visit.
                                      Steve
                                      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                                      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

You're a lucky man and we're all green with envy.
                                        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Strong work Frank. The pics tell the story. I could only imagine how you guys felt holding the crate full of figs. The house and farm brings back memories from home. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Frank, you and your wife were truly blessed with that experience! Thanks for sharing it with us!
                                            Ed
                                            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

That a lot of figs and trees. Whow.

Comment

Working...
                                              X