• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bass
    • Feb 2015

an under rated variety

Hello all,
    It's surprising how some varieties that deserve more value than some of the crazy priced varieties on eBay.
    We're all guilty of looking for the best or the best figs, and we seek the unusual and high priced figs, but there are some really great tasting ones out there that deserves to be on the list of the top tasting figs. To me I really enjoy Celeste. It's always wows my visitors when eating a fresh celeste, it's nice and early, but I really wish it would have been larger.
    One variety that I look forward to eating is Verte. I just love the green skin with that deep color pulp, the flavor is amazing. It did very well in the Caribbean, and we planted about 200 trees there. Up here in Pa, it is a vigorous tree, somewhat cold hardy, but matures late in season. For some reason, it haven't been popular on eBay or in my store. It's not rare, but still one of my favorite.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
  • MichaelTucson
    • Feb 2015

I too like this variety, Bass. There are lots of varieties that go by this name (Verte), but the one I had came from you (it reached me indirectly). I wrote about it on F4F in 2013 as a favorite. Unfortunately my tree of this variety died over the winter of 2013-14. I'd like to replace it at some point. Good choice.

Mike
    Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

• meatburner
      • Feb 2015

Bass, that is a welcome post for someone new like me. It is overwhelming with fancy, rare, complicated varieties a lot of folks post about. Thanks.
      SW MO Zone 6a

Comment

• AscPete
        Fig Phenom
        • Feb 2015

Hello Bass,
        Welcome...
        I have to agree about the Celeste , they're so sweet its almost like eating Dates...
        I have a Green Ischia and its very similar to the Verte in flavor and growing habits. They both are late ripening in colder zones.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• MichaelTucson
          • Feb 2015

AscPete -- Pete, I've had one that was named Verte that was similar to Green Ischia, but Verte seems to be one of those varieties that needs a second word as qualifier... there are too many cultivars known as Verte! So, I had another one that I referred to as Verte (Bass), which was different from my other Verte and did not much resemble Green Ischia. In fact, I've found no other variety that it does resemble. Unfortunately, that tree died in 2014. (I hope to replace it at some point).

Of course, my nomenclature Verte (Bass) is just to indicate that it's the Verte for which I traced the source back to Bass.

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            I also had a Verte that was killed last winter... I've yet to replace it but I didn't know the provenance.
        • meatburner
          • Feb 2015

Oh well, I tried.
          SW MO Zone 6a

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            The Celeste and Green Ischia are common readily available cultivars....

• MichaelTucson
            MichaelTucson commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi meatburner. Welcome. Not sure what you mean in this post... ? I hope you're not put off by folks waxing enthusiastically about these varieties. Hope you're having fun with figs.
        • cyberfarmer
          • Feb 2015

I'm really glad to hear this. People keep sending me Celeste cuttings bundled with other varieties. I now have about 6 of them in 5 gallon pots and at least as many more in my rooting chamber right now. With people giving them to me for free and not really hearing much praise for them, I have come to assume that it is not all that great. Now I'm looking forward to what should be my first crop of Celeste this year.

Comment

• Gina
            • Feb 2015

Hi Bass, welcome.

All the Vertes I've found a bit confusing. I don't have a plain Verte, but do have Strawberry Verte, and Battaglia Green (which I believe is a verte of some sort - please correct me if I'm wrong). The Strawberry Verte is extremely good. Battaglia has not yet fruited for me.
            SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends. http://www.ourfigs.com/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

• greenfig
              • Feb 2015

Yes, the Strawberry Verte is excellent. I wish it would be fruiting through the season longer though. What is like the SV but a later variety? Battaglia Green?
              USDA z 10a, SoCal.

Comment

• MichaelTucson
                • Feb 2015

Hi Gina. Battaglia Green is a lot like Ischia Green / Green Ischia. But though you reference "plain Verte", I've become convinced that there are at least three different versions of "plain Verte". Not surprising... since it just means green. But there seem to be a lot of different ones going by that moniker. Hence Verte (Bass), or Verte (name your source) seems a worthwhile approach to differentiating the ones that are different with the same name.

Comment

• Kelby
                  Fig Phenom
                  • Feb 2015

Oh great, now Verte will be going for $200/cutting on eBay!

I've been hearing a lot about this 'class' of figs lately being under appreciated, good to hear another pro vouching for it. It's on my list to check out in the future.

Can anyone comment on how similar/dissimilar Verte is to Lyndhurst White?
                  https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                  SE PA
                  Zone 6

Comment

• Bigbill
                    Bigbill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lyndhurst white for me is earlier, larger (almost greenish yellow). The pulp is more pink and mild than Verte (Bass). The Verte (Bass) is late, but I love the contrast of the pulp - dark red vs lime green skin and the flavor.

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool, thanks Bill. Just trying to avoid varieties that are similar enough to what I have.

• MichaelTucson
                    MichaelTucson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BigBill: I agree with you about the beauty of Verte (Bass), both the appearance and the flavor. That contrast is visually intense. The texture also seemed unique. I wrote about it a couple of years ago over on F4F. The flavor to me didn't resemble any other fig I've tried. Not sure if it was an artifact of the ripening conditions here (relatively cool, especially for late ripening figs), but despite that it had very strong flavor. Some sweetness but also a distinctive tangy/tart flavor, almost like citrus. What impressed me was the intensity of the flavors, and the snap/crunch of the outer parts.
                    Last edited by MichaelTucson; 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM. Reason: (edited: just clarifying the flavor notes).
                • COGardener
                  Fig Phenom
                  • Feb 2015

I'm new enough that I'll try any fig and make up my own mind. I got an improved Celeste from JF&E this year plus cuttings of a Celest from ChrisK. I may get a few figs this year i may be impatiently waiting for next year, who knows. I'm also starting a couple strawberry Verte cuttings from Wills, never thought once about there quality or taste, i trust the source!

besides, figs seem to be like pizza, when their bad, their still kind of good! To bad i can really only judge from the dry figs I've had.
                  Last edited by COGardener; 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's one reason why I recommend choosing figs also considering flavor groups... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...tivars#post246
                    You can get a sample of most fig taste profiles...

• Terra
                    Terra commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "figs seem to be like pizza, when their bad, their still kind of good!"
                    ... 🤔 I like that.
                • Harborseal
                  • Feb 2015

I agree about Celeste. I had my first one last year. It was great.tasting fig. I have a few varieties waiting to fruit so I can find a productive one. Forgive my vagueness but the gal who owned the nursery that closed a few years ago in the central Atlantic area said that Battaglia Green was the best tasting of the Verte types if that answers your question. Two or three years ago she sold 12 cuttings of that and a few other types for charity. Someone on here will be able to tell you her name. Possibly Paradise Nursery? Ms Battaglia was a friend of hers and she introduced the fig to commerce if I remember correctly.
                  Bob C.
                  Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Paradise Nursery, you got it. mgginva knows the full details.
                • cis4elk
                  Fig Phenom
                  • Feb 2015

Her name is Sybil. Nice lady, she has a blog.
                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• zone5figger
                    Fig Phenom
                    • Feb 2015

When does Verte (or Green Ischia) ripen for folks in the northeast? I've been holding back on this one because of the reputed late ripening. I have Adriatic JH going, how would you contrast the two?
                    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                    Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

• Bass
                      • Feb 2015

Michael, sorry to hear you lost it. I have plants available.

Comment

• Rui
                        • Feb 2015

Jesse, it looks like JH Adriatic is ever so slightly earlier than Verte/Battaglia Green.
                        The more I read about these varieties, the more I want to fig-ure out what's what, and what'll be best for me.
                        I got a plant from Almost Eden two years ago whose fruit sounds like Michael's description. It was labeled Verdone/Strawberry/Green Ischau. Who knows?
                        Anyway, that one produces medium/large figs that are bright green with ruby flesh, and I couldn't make a better description than Michael - I'd add that the neck is so stout, the skin so thick, that they hardly slump when they're ripe. The first fig I ate (two years ago) was on the plant until after I put it in storage. I pulled the fig off sometime in November, and when I pried it open and saw the red inside I decided to try it...OMG!
                        This last year I got a handful of figs from it. Equally impressive.
                        They did start ripening in mid October this past Fall, in a 5-gallon bucket. For me, it's a keeper.
                        JH Adriatic (15-gallon, same age) started ripening for me in mid September. Everything about these two varieties is different to me.
                        To add confusion, I picked up a Verte (Bass) last summer, and Battaglia Green cuttings from Wills recently.
                        It's all worth a try, even different sources of the "same variety" could give hugely different results.

...Oh, I miss Martin...
                        All this talk of pale fig!
                        Anybody able to ask him to join this forum?

Comment

• zone5figger
                          zone5figger commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for your answer, Rui!

• Gina
                          Gina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "...Oh, I miss Martin...
                          All this talk of pale fig!
                          Anybody able to ask him to join this forum?"

He has our address.
                      • MichaelTucson
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by zone5figger View Post
                        When does Verte (or Green Ischia) ripen for folks in the northeast? I've been holding back on this one because of the reputed late ripening. I have Adriatic JH going, how would you contrast the two?
                        In 2013 I had ripe figs from Verte (Bass) during late September. I had successfully "pushed" spring to start early, by doing the fig shuffle starting in very early April. In 2014, I had Battaglia Green also ripening in September, but the spring had started later (effectively), because I didn't start shuffling as early. I haven't been able to compare the timing of those two during a single season, because I hadn't gotten BG to ripen until after Verte (Bass) was gone.

Comment

• Yeehova
                          • Feb 2015

I got a Green Ischia last year and it gave me a few figs that were probably my favorite for the year. All of my trees are young though so I was mostly comparing figs from one to two year old plants. I have several rooted JH Adriatic and I am eager to learn the difference between them.
                          Brian
                          Coastal NC, humid 8A

Comment

• paully22
                            • Feb 2015

Celeste is good tasting. Unfortunately it has a tendency to abort. LSU have 4 figs that were meant to be better than Celeste -- Tiger, O'Rourke, Champagne.and Improved Celeste.
                            As for Verte in my zone, its a little late. Hence its flavor is not as great as others.

Comment

• zone5figger
                              Fig Phenom
                              • Feb 2015

I always appreciate conversations like this one, comparing figs of various 'families'(Mt. Etna, Adriatic, honey, so on) for ripening time, productivity, flavor, hardiness, suitability for container vs in-ground, etc.
                              I personally am not interested in collecting large numbers of varieties, for me a dozen solid varieties to spread out the season and give a good representation of color and flavors is a goal. Of course, I will have to trial more than that to find the right ones... but reducing varieties that are redundant seems like the only way I can keep this hobby under control!

Sellers posting about their varieties and then offering up material aren't helping, either

Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                              Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

• Richdel
                                • Feb 2015

Does anyone know where I can find a "true" Improved Celeste? I have seen that Just Fruits an Exotics carry a "LSU Improved Celeste", can anyone tell me if it is what they claim it to be? I understand that a few of the improvements include less dropping of the fruit, and an earlier fruiting. Looks to be exactly the type of tree I am looking for here in the north mid-atlantic (DE 7a).

Originally posted by paully22 View Post
                                Celeste is good tasting. Unfortunately it has a tendency to abort. LSU have 4 figs that were meant to be better than Celeste -- Tiger, O'Rourke, Champagne.and Improved Celeste.
                                As for Verte in my zone, its a little late. Hence its flavor is not as great as others.

Comment

• pppldj
                                  Fig Phenom
                                  • Feb 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3994a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	4363 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4346a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	4364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343a.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	4365 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4382b.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	4366 I have a LSU Improved Celeste from JF&E. Planted it in the ground Last April. It did not grow much. Most of the leaves were unilobed and trilobed. A few had thumbs. It put on many figs for its size. It started main crop figs in late July and kept putting out until frost. Between ripe and unripe figs it put on at least 75 figs. The taste was figgy and not sweet. I was expecting better, but I will attribute that to it's first year in the ground. This LSU Improved Celeste does fit Dan's description in everything but taste. I should be better this year.
                                  PPP
                                  Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• apnoist
                                    • Feb 2015

For me Adriatic, Green Ischia, Ventura are very close if not ident. Verte is very close too. Lyndhurst white is completely different and more close to Atreano. All of them are cery good in taste.

Comment

• COGardener
                                      Fig Phenom
                                      • Feb 2015

My JF&E LSU improved Celeste broke dormancy a few weeks back in my garage, and it is already showing three lobes with thumbs if I'm not mistaken. I will try to remember to take and post pics after work today.

Scott
                                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
                                      X