X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black mission in NC

This was a cutting I rooted and planted in my yard last year. It had grown to about 4 feet and did not ripen any figs. It died back two maybe 3 inches above the soil line. Here it is now.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Brian
    Augusta, GA

Very nice!!!!

The majority of you measure fig tree growth in feet, at my altitude, I measure it in inches.

Beautiful Mission Brian. Looks like you'll get to taste then this year! !!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Yes it is amost 4 feet just from April! It is a very vigorous tree and I won't be surprised if it tops 6 feet of new growth this year. I have a JH Adriatic rooted in January that is racing this fig to 5 feet. Exciting times!
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

My Adriatic JH failed to root, I'm real bummed about that! Perhaps next year or I'll get from Tim hopefully next month.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Nice BM Brian. You will love the figs also.I ve been growing one inground for four years now and it has been a very consistant producer. Fig per node every time on every limb. My only problem is keeping the birds and yellow jackets away long enough for the figs to properly rippen. Last year I ended up picking them all a couple of days too soon. I think I will be putting up a net over it this year. It s been also very, very cold Hardy for me. Survived 13-14 and 14-15 winters unprotected with no dieback . Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I got several to root very easily this year, but I stupidly planted them out in mid March since we had a warm spell, and then along came early April with a late freeze and killed all of them except for the one I planted and a few I gave away to friends. Luckily this seems to be a fast spreading variety. It is super vigorous.
            Brian
            Augusta, GA

Comment

Great. ... now I really feel like a failure! !!

kidding. It was my first year, and I allowed myself to go in to many directions and I was so worried about over watering that I was under watering.

I'll get it figured out.

There will always be more.
              Last edited by COGardener; 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Sorry you lost your cuttings but like you said it's very easy to root. I gifted all the cuttings I took from pruning it last fall along with the Celeste cuttings. It is another misunderstood variety along with BTurkey but an excellent overall tree , in my opinion,a must have in a fig collection .

Comment

Very nice job on what ever you are doing to promote that much growth. Keep us posted.
                  Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

All of the grass clippings go under the fig trees and I fertilize with compost and dog droppings in the trees I don't expect to eat from this year.
                    Brian
                    Augusta, GA

Comment

• Whiterk
                      Whiterk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perfect!!

Nice looking mission there. Very healthy. I mulch with bermuda grass clippings too. I can't pile them up too deep as they get hot in the middle. My entire veggie garden is mulched in them too. The droppings stay where the dog drops them.
                    PPP
                    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Dog waste can be dangerous, it should not be used on left near anything you plan to eat.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...z84sozraw.aspx

Comment

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/using-d...s-in-children/

Comment

That is why I don't use it on anything I am going to eat the same year, certainly not vegetables. I usually identify a few trees that I just want growth from, like a couple of crape myrtles I planted, and direct the dog poop there. The Black Mission got a lot of dog poop last year, but this year it is going to other trees.
                          Brian
                          Augusta, GA

Comment

Working...
                          X