X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning out the herd

Some of you know I have sold my house and bought another. Need a bigger house and the time is now.
    I cannot take everything with me as this is a HOA place. I never thought I would buy a house with a HOA attached to it but the house is perfect for the family and figs are just a hobby.

I have started giving the figs that are too large to ship away to family and friends. I plan on selling some on ebay but I don't know what is reasonable shipping charge? These will be in 2gl or 3gl pots and are heavy and some are three or four feet tall.

I plan on holding on to about twenty trees. Those will be the big ones.

Believe me, I never thought I would ever be doing this and it is painful.

I got three 4' tall trees in 3 gallon pots from JF&E the shipping for both boxes was around $40 or $50, I don't remember for sure. So maybe $25 each.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks, Scott

I went with $30. I had to order 48x10x10 boxes and they roughly $5 each. Plus tape and bamboo. It all adds up.

Comment

Yes it does. I think that's fair for such a large box.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Time to start checking in on eBay
          Rafed, I wish there were a way for you to hold on to the plants until Fall (maybe a trusted friend in the area with free space), so you could enjoy some fruit and have root balls and cuttings to sell once your plants go dormant.
          That would certainly increase my chances of getting my hands on one (or more) of your rare varieties.

Comment

Rafed,

Just my opinion, but if I were you, I would prune the trees all the way to the trunk (aside from the green growth). You can then store the cuttings to sell now or later. You will probably make more money and won't have to deal with shipping a live tree. Something to think about.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Rafed,

You might list some of your trees on here before eBay, you may not make as much on them, but you know you're friends will cherish them.

Comment

Thanks, Rui, Frank and Scott.

I will consider all options.

Comment

What is your id on ebay so we can search? I buy on ebay sometimes.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Here you go, Jerry

r.kinaia
                    Good luck

Comment

Here is the link since Rafed banned me from bidding.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fig-tree-034...16.m2516.l5255
                      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Rafed, have you considered (donating) to the community garden? The community garden here said they would love to have fig trees planted. That way you can still enjoy your trees. Hate to see you lose all you have invested. Just trying to find an alternative for you.
                        Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Randall,

I have done more than my fair share in giving and will continue to do so. I want to help cover my expenses for all those years.

Thanks

Comment

Wills,

Thinking about blocking you all together.

Comment

Now Now gentlemen no snot slinging on the Fourth. Joyce

Comment

Wills is fair game, any part of the week.

Comment

Maybe Hershell would like to visit the UP and on his way he could graft all of your varieties on to 12 trees.
                                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sasl...kinaia&_sop=10
                                    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Are you sure you can't put them in the back of a rental truck and drive them to your new home? I did it with giant foxtail palm and shiffeleria that were in my home in Atlanta. Joyce

Comment

Some of Rafed's ebay thinnings are starting to take off! Watching closely to see how much they go for. Good luck Rafed and bidders! I was in on the De La Senyora....but it's already past my limit!
                                        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

The next batch is up...Rafed, I can't wait to see a list of what you decided to keep.
                                          Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

I once ship 7 foot tree to man in NY. Pot in box just like you do shoe box and used 4in pvc pip with cap. Was about $85 to ship and Materials but made it safe. You have any tree to sell that have nice fig on it? I must eat fig Tis year!!!
                                            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                                            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                                            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

One of the few men I trust and respect, yet have never met in person. I hope any potential buyers don't think twice about purchasing from Rafed. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
                                              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Frank
                                                There many great people here in our inner circle. You are one of them.
                                                We will meet one day.

Comment

Ok i checked out the new auctions. Who is Mr Pons and why are his figs important?
                                                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
                                                X