X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDB ?? RIPENING ??

MY VDB appears to be ripening very slowly, first crop, in pot.
    Attached Files
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

A little sun and heat and they should ripen nicely. Is this your first crop?
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Nice!
      Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

First crop.
        Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Are you sure it's Violette de Bordeaux? This is what my ripening crops look like on my new tree. They've been dark from the beginning.[ATTACH=CONFIG]n27510[/ATTACH]

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• Altadena Mara
            Altadena Mara commented
            Editing a comment
            COGardner, it's a VdB Dave Wilson tree from the local nursery as you can see from the tag. Would Dave Wilson Nursery be wrong? What is a TC plant?

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Scott,
            There are several plants of the "Bordeaux type", VdB, Negronne, Aubique Petite, etc that have been labeled and sold as VdB, they're very similar in figs. Many of the cultivars in circulation also have some degree of FMV infection which accounts for the leaf shape differences. The Tissue Cultured (TC) VdB produces the typical finger like leaves that I associate with VdB.

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete,

The amount of variation and miss labelling among figs in mind boggling and frustrating. My VDB, Petite negri, Aubique petite, RDB and Nero 600M all display the elongated finger like leaves. Only the first two are TC.

They may still be in the stagnant stage. The color is from the sunlight and may not mean they have entered the ripening process yet. Patience!
          Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Had one fig ripen so far, small but a very good figgy flavor.
            Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Just curious. I have read where VDB is supposed to be somewhat dwarf in nature. Mine is 3rd year in the ground and 8' tall. Figs seem the same as pics and are from a reliable source.
              It's taller than 2 seven year old Celeste trees. Anyone else notice this?
              Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Mara - No I am never sure whether any fig is correct/true to type. I received this from a very trusted, experienced member and have no reason to be suspicious. The presence of a tag from anywhere does not guarantee true to type, neither does TC plants. I have an unknown section where the unknown with tags are kept in pots, like the green fig "Chicago Hardy", the Purple "Verte" all with tags, tags that are incorrect, all bought from retail establishments. So again, I am not sure, but I believe it to be a Vdb
                Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

When your fruit is ripe, you'll have to post pics with a full mature leaf.

I'm curious.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have had 2 figs that have ripened, the first was gobbled standing in the kitchen, no camera, the second was gobbled at the tree. These are great figs.
                  Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

When it comes time here for ripe fruit I hope to have patients. ... but I'm sure the same elk happen!
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
                    X