X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing and losing leaves on recently planted fig

When I left for vacation, my heirloom fig (the newly planted one that goes back in my family to colonial times) was green and growing and seemingly happy in its new home. During this morning's rounds of the place with my coffee, however, I found that some of the leaves have yellowed and fallen. The remaining green leaves seem healthy and all but one of the lost leaves were foliage that made the trip here from Mississippi six weeks ago. Not sure if this is a case of too much water (it has rained all week and yesterday was a constant drizzle) or if there's something else I'm not doing right. Thoughts?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by DBJohnson; 07-04-2015, 09:40 AM.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

I wouldn't be concerned. It's probably a result of being moved and change in climate. It should be fine.
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Thank you, sir! I can get more from that tree (not sure why I didn't bring more back anyway), but would like to see this one make it. Actually, one the smaller of the two stems gets a bit more established, I'll likely take it to root as a separate tree.

Comment

That's a good idea. I to have a family heirloom tree that I've posted about. What town in Mississippi? I went to Biloxi yesterday. I'm going to making a trip to Emporia,va in a few weeks. I'm familiar with Franklin county Va. I'll be just a short ways from you.
        Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Mom lives in Newton (about 20 miles west of Meridian)...I have family in Hattiesburg, Forrest, Lake, and Jackson; also in AL in Wilmer (just west of Mobile), Montgomery, Birmingham, and Cullman. The trees in my heirloom tree's line are at Mom's in Newton (MS), Selma (AL), Clanton (AL).

Message me when you'll be up this way and I'll see if I can arrange my work to be in that area and we can get some coffee or something.

Comment

Sure sounds good. You have any info on the variety of your heirloom trees? Mine is a Celeste.

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              No idea as yet. Based on memory of what the figs look like and their size and some images and discussions I've seen here on the forum, I suspect it to be a Southern Brown Turkey.

I agree with Randall. Your fig is most likely dealing with transplant shock. Some figs I've transplanted in summer have dropped all their leaves but recovered in late august to push new growth before going dormant for the winter. Good luck with your heirloom.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool beans! Thanks.
          Working...
          X