X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paris Highlights

We were sitting at the very front of the upper tier, when the bus driver decided to go through a tunnel a foot shorter than the bus. We were lucky to escape with minor injuries and not decapitation.

On a brighter note, a few hours later we found a huge fig tree in Montmartre, very close to the Sacre Cour Cathedral.
    https://goo.gl/photos/kR92pJbGa9s71cmu7

https://goo.gl/photos/QfB88aoFFNToH2VF6
    Last edited by FMD; 07-05-2015, 03:50 PM.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Frank,

Wow, close call. Have any pictures of the bus?
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

very lucky Frank...glad you weren't seriously hurt....

of course you could look at it like "paying dues" to find the tree.....

very close to the church (sacred heart)....but not too close......

georgeous photos.....

There's just something special about a full grown standard fig tree...
      Last edited by rusty hooks; 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM.
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

https://goo.gl/photos/bmqZj4szrCTT7fMo6
        Frank Tallahasee 8B
        North Florida Figs

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          OH DANG!!!!

Frank, are you sure you didn't see the fig tree and shout at the driver TURN HERE. I'm sure you didn't and I'm sure glad y'all didn't get hurt any worse. I hope you can get to enjoying your vacation and not loose sleep over that. That was a huge tree!
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

No cuttings damaged I hope
          Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Was the driver new. ... what the heck! !!

That tree is Huge. ... WOW!!!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

OMG, that looks like a scary experience! It looks like he hit it at a moderate rate of speed; much faster and it could have been really bad. Glad you lived to tell the tale!
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

I bet you the driver was staring at the fig tree and didn't pay attention to the tunnel! Another mad figger story with a happy ending , thank God! Nice pics Frank thanks for sharing and have a safe trip home!

Comment

Wow! That was a close call for sure. Good to hear everything is ok.
                  Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                  Tony
                  Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

wow, that is crazy, glad your injuries were minor!
                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Apparently a triathlon of some type closed off some roads and the driver was taking an alternate route. My son got the worst of it with a forehead laceration. A small piece of glass was embedded in the wound which I was able to remove using tweezers. No French ER's for us. Half an hour later we were back on the tour on another bus enjoying the day. We got compted for the two day excursion.

I don't remember that fig tree on my last trip to Paris 30 years ago, but back then I was more into girls than figs. LOL.
                      Frank Tallahasee 8B
                      North Florida Figs

Comment

I am glad you are ok my friend not hurt too badly.
                        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Glad you hear your ok, sorry it put a damper on your trip. What are the odds?
                          Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

What an introduction for your son...I hope he doesn't scar...any future trip to France for meeting the locals might be in jeapordy....

although...thats quite an introduction line

did he thank you for the tweezer work?
                            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

My son wasn't phased at all with what happened. The cut has already crusted over. It is located on the scalp, so scarring won't be an issue. My wife on the other hand acted exactly as you would expect a freaked out mother to act.
                              It will be something to remember and recount in the future. I'm sure it will grow into a tall tale as the weeks go by.
                              Anyway, we are finally back home jet lagged but satisfied with it all.
                              The last day in Paris was an unexpected fig bonanza. I will post later but will give the following hint...Rue Du Figuier.
                              Frank Tallahasee 8B
                              North Florida Figs

Comment

• COGardener
                                COGardener commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Glad your home and had a great time! Thanks again for all the trees.... Hershell promised me it would be worth the drive....... AND IT WAS!!!!!

• rusty hooks
                                rusty hooks commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Avenue of figs...how appropriate for a send off.......stars aligning and all that

• LouNeo
                                LouNeo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Did that rue du figuier follow up post happen?

The bus took a different route because of a triathalon? Merde! I always knew exercise was not good for one.

Welcome home.
                              SoCal, zone 10.
                              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Wow, Frank, I am glad it ended well for you and your family.
                                I will be in Paris in a month for 5 days, please include many details about your Paris fig experience
                                USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Good news on not being hurt badly. From the photos of the bus it could have been a whole lot worse. I can hear the tall tale now...we were driving along and the driver swerved to miss a huge fig tree...and the biggest branch on the tree came through the glass and in order to get us out of the situation I had to cut up the branch to save my son's life and the branch fell in splinters around me...and oh, by the way, one of the splinters rooted into that big tree in the yard and you are even now munching on a fig from it. Hmmmm?
                                  Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                                  X