X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good old reliable VDB and a FREE Dog available

I did not plan to post about VDB. It's still a top tier fig and if you don't have it you should. The DOG is what I am offering free, but if you don't have VDB check with me in the dormant season. I am still laughing at my self. I did get to eat the other half, but we don't need the Riddler to guess what happened here.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Phil, What are all of the black spots on your leaves?
    Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

I have come to the same conclusion about VdB 'reliable' and 'top tier'... Thanks for sharing the photos and info.

My dogs were never interested in fruit, they preferred green vegetables instead. I wouldn't want one that would compete for the fruit harvest.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Maybe I should get a VDB then. Looks good.
        Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
        Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Very nice Phil.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Looks a rare breed of dog.... Ficus Houndus?
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

No that is the rare breed "You love it. I eat it." When I lived in Charlotte, I grew beautiful huge delicious beef steak tomatoe. One day I went out to get ripe tomatoe.....gone. No BLT. Another one ripening. AH two more days. Husband was looking out the window says hurry hurry come look. I see your tomatoe thief. We watch as our wire Haired terrier circles plant carefully sniff each ripening tomatoe. Pulls big fat ripe one off bush and carrys it under shade tree in back yard. Carefully peels skin off and slurps whole tomatoe down. Dog beloved pet of the baby daughter age 3. Oh well can't win them all, but you can pull tomatoe early and ripen in house. Sharing is caring Phil. LOL Joyce

Comment

LOL! Great picture! You can see the anticipation. Now your going to have to build cages.
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Ray,
                  I believe leaf issue is a combination of rust and general stress on the tree. Really doesn’t look that bad when you view the tree as a whole (see Pic) I put my trees in ground very late this spring, early June I think as had too many irons in the fire. Then we got really dry until less than a week ago, since last Thursday? I have probably had 5 inches of rain. Prior I had been struggling dragging a hose over large area and between Figs, Pomegranates, and few other things over 200 new trees in ground. I am fighting just to get them alive through 1st season.

Jarrett,
                  If you don’t acquire VDB before next winter let me know I will send you cuttings. VDB is pretty easily available. Here is some advice for yourself, and others myself included. Try not to get caught up in the hype of the newest fade fig, unless you plan to propagate and recoup the costs of, or use for high valued trade material. I would bet that VDB will prove to be more satisfying fig to you than Galicia Negra I saw you post on recent. If there was one thing I could advise folks is enjoy the proven figs like VDB. That said I am just as possessed as anyone at trying the latest hyped fig so I am trying convince myself here.

The hound is a pound rescue. They guessed his heritage as “Mountain Cur” which I was surprised to find is a actual breed. Cur to me always meant mixed mongrel. He actually is very smart and very good dog, much smarter than my namesake handle. I was trying to hold the fig away for a pic and he thought I was offering to him. He would eat a rock if I offered to him. I was losing eggs and suspected him, so I did a setup, with a simple NO and glove toss he understood and not a problem since. In fact when I repeated the setup he just looked at me like are you crazy? He is actually my son’s dog, but he and his new bride are both National Guard and on activity presently and just moved to a apartment not allowing pets, so he might be here for awhile.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Phil,
                    I've had the same weather, so I know where you're coming from. I don't know how you
                    manage 200 trees. Heck, I thought I had a job with about 50. Have you thought about
                    some type of irrigation system? I have a fairly simple one for my 80 roses that might work for you. Just a series of water hoses linked together with an emitter at the base of each plant. I just turn on the spigot and they all get watered at the same time.
                    I know this question has been asked, but I'm new to figs, and I've just bought a Negronne. Is it and VdB the same fig or in your opinion are they different? Thanks
                    Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Ray,

The 200 only accounts for the ones I put in this year, but I had less than dozen figs in ground. I probably have that many various fruiting trees already in ground. I don't do a very good management of anything really. I don't water much of anything after 1st year establishment. I have a simple setup irrigation for potted plants, but for inground figs I don't find they need watered after established, and with mowing the above ground poly or hoses i would have to move anyway. I am just trying get them through year one . Some things like most my stone fruit will likely be pulled unless I up my care program.

As far as Negronne and VDB the same. I have never grown Negronne, but many think they are the same. I have VDB from a couple different sources and I believe they are the same. The leafs make we wonder at times even on the same plant, sometimes the plant really shows misshapen FMV leaves and sometimes the more finger like leafs. One thing I have noticed about VDB and believe I saw someone else mention. They seem to me more sensitive to drying than most show decline if the soil drys.

Comment

It's unusual for a dog to be interested in fruit, isn't it? My dog's not interested in fruit, and only eats vegetables if there's enough meat or egg to make it worthwhile, but we have to keep the cat away from the green beans and squash because otherwise she'd eat all their leaves.
                        Sarah
                        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Our dogs have always enjoyed fruit...pears, stonefruit, etc. Not figs yet, at least.
                          My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Camie our Yorkie eats all fruits offered to her, no grapes because I read they are very bad for doggies, and most vegetables. Favorite forage food is the delectable lizard tail. Joyce

Comment

When I first adopted the cat, I remember reading that grapes (and raisins), anything containing caffeine (including chocolate) and anything in the onion family (all onions, chives, garlic, etc.) were all toxic for both cats and dogs. We generally don't give either of them human food, but the dog bears the full force of his puppy dog gaze on us at breakfast, and it can be hard to resist. He does love scrambled eggs.
                              Sarah
                              Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Hey....dog has good taste too.
                                Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

You dog's face looks like my Ridgeback who also loves to eat figs.
                                  Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Phil, my son thought you were serious about the dog and got real excited....while my wife was melting looking at the figs. Great topic. Thanks for posting the pictures.
                                    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Your figs look perfect and your dog's tongue licking his chops tells the story.I see here a couple of posts about dogs and grapes and raisins. Seriously, grapes and raisins can kill your dog and it does not take many. Something in the grape causes renal failure in most dogs. Not all dogs are affected, but most are. This is something that every dog owner should be made aware of.
                                      PPP
                                      Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I was having trouble with glare on the phone screen could not really see what i was taking, I knew he was there but was struggling extending my arm out with the fig and finding in the screen. I really laughed when I saw the licking chops one later.

Comment

So... who won the cute dog?

One of my cats likes ripe avocado. And they all love a bite of good butter now and again.
                                          So do I.
                                          SoCal, zone 10.
                                          www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

The dog won a reprieve as long he doesn't start picking them himself. I was my fault for extending my hand in the "here's a treat position" He is not my dog to give anyway as I am just babysitting him. Someone can have my neighbors dog, but I am not shipping him.

Comment

Working...
                                            X