X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominicks Italian 2015 Main

This second year in ground tree went though some fig dropping early but now has
    a few more that appear to be ripening. It was sweet with a figgy taste and my
    9 and 11 year old grandsons said it taste like blueberries. I couldn't disagree. LOL
    This could be a very productive tree in my area with the closed eye and early
    ripening habit. Two inches of rain two days ago and not watered down. We shall
    see. About a 7 on a 1-10 for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4181.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	26435

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	26434

Name:	IMG_4180.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	26436
    Last edited by newnandawg; 07-06-2015, 08:50 AM.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Thanks for sharing the photos and description...

The fig looks delicious and resembles Celeste. Could you please post photos of leaves? Thanks
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Belle!
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

DI leaves.

Pete, I suppose it could be in the Celeste family. I don't recall seeing a Celeste
        this large and or as dark skinned.

Name:	IMG_4185.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	26468 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4186.JPG
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	26469 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.JPG
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	26470
        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Nice fig Mike! Leaf looks more like a CH or a Mnt Aetna fig. The fruit does resemble Celeste a bit but taste difference and leaf pattern suggests otherwise! This is Coops' tree right?

Comment

• newnandawg
            newnandawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris, yes it is from Coop.

I was growing one last year and it was extremely vigorous. I mean crazy growth! It was a new tree but developed a bunch of figs late in the season so I didn't get to taste any figs, but it's now about 1/2 mile from my house. I gave it to an elderly lady who's dreamed of growing figs. She was so thankful, I had to give her a tree that would give her figs the same year.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• F. Bennett
            F. Bennett commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate your kind offer! I shouldn't have any problems getting cuttings from that tree, if need be.

• newnandawg
            newnandawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Frank, I am starting an AL for Randall would you like me to start one for you also?

Mike (newnandawg)

• F. Bennett
            F. Bennett commented
            Editing a comment
            Mike, Thank you for the offer, but it was replaced with a better known variety, as I'm limited in space. I appreciate the kind gesture!

Does anyone have this available, I read his story and I would like to grow this fig also.
          Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            Coop sells "Dominick Italian" cuttings every year for postage. You might want to PM him to let him know you're interested. I have it growing and it looks similar to an unknown I have.

• newnandawg
            newnandawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Randall, I may be able to give you cuttings this fall if you cant obtain before then.

Thanks, I sent him a PM. Appreciate it guys.
          Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• newnandawg
            newnandawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Randall, I will take a look at my tree for possible air layer

• Whiterk
            Whiterk commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that would be very nice of you to consider that. Thank you again.

I will start it this afternoon.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I sadly failed with my cuttings over winter, made to many mistakes and though I thought one was going survive despite me, it finally succumb to my inexperience. I to am looking forward to this tree in the future.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I was forunante to get a small Dominicks fig tree from Coop himself at Bass's get together.. all I can say is this thing grows fast.. coop is an incredibly generous person and explained to me the whole story behind the Dominick. It's a very touching story and part of the reason I'm fortunate to have it now. Ruuting was also kind enough to give me an Attilio Purple which also has history to it and it's an aggressive grower.
              Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

This post is music to my ears thanks Mike, I'm so glad Dominick is doing well for you. My observation after growing The Dominick here in Nj for almost 20 years is that he is a Mt. Etna tree. Same leaf characteristics as others and the fruit appears to be the same as well. I know Dominicks father brought the tree with him from Italy also. He is quite prolific and very hardy. It is my life mission to save this one tree and there are now probably 100 people who have one. Dominick is now gone as is his original tree, but I am making sure he lives on.
                I thank you Mike and all others for keeping my dream alive

Comment

Coop, I was so happy when you still had a few cuttings left and were able to
                  provide me with them. I rooted four if my memory serves me correct. I kept
                  this one tree and put it in ground this spring. At first I thought I was not going
                  to enjoy any figs this year as it was dropping them. It finally came around
                  with me babying it with lots of nutrients and ample water when needed. It has
                  around 8-10 more and maybe it will be a continuous producer and have even
                  more this year. We will have figs into late October and maybe this will be
                  one of those trees. I can't thank you enough and I will always keep the
                  written story you sent with the cuttings. I also gave that out with each tree.
                  If I can ever help you obtain a tree dont hesitate to ask me.
                  newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Coop,
                    It might have spread further than you think beyond 100 Mike shared a young tree with me. I just went out and had coffee with my figs and took this Pic of her. Think I counted 21 young figs scattered about seems quite productive, and will be tasting this season. Hope you don't mind I referred to the fig as a her as I see you stated "he" all my figs are female. I imagine Dominick is smiling down on her.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Phil, thanks for your comments. Your DI is looking really nice.
                      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I'll take some pictures today and post them.

Coop I can't wait until I can share cuttings with others but my plant has a ways to go. Also I want to thank you again for giving me the plant and sharing the history with me.

I sent a that you via PM after Bass's get together. . Just thanking you again.
                        Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

These posts bring tears to my eyes. Dominick the man was a real inspiration in my life. Passing his trees to "fig worthy" enthusiasts means the world to me.
                          Thanks my friends

Comment

She took off on growth run! Thanks Coop

---Dominick--

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Last edited by sal; 07-09-2015, 07:26 PM.
                            Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• newnandawg
                              newnandawg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sal it looks good. Appears to be an early variety so it should do well for you in NY

• Whiterk
                              Whiterk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Beautiful!!! Keep us updated.

• Coop
                              Coop commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sal
                              You got abeauty there. Looks great. You deserve this

Dominick was obviously here before I came, but I sense he was a very generous man with a kind spirit. I am sure he is smiling down on all of you who are enjoying the fruit of his generosity.
                            Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                              It is my life mission to save this one tree and there are now probably 100 people who have one.
                              It's at least 106 now, as I've given about half of my dozen Dominick's trees to fellow gardeners in the area

Lots of people stop by and see my figs and then want a cold hardy plant for themselves, one that they can plant outside and still get a crop from each year. First I gave folks my extra Hardy Chicago trees, then MBVS, then Dominick's. Now the coffers are bare, though, so I'm going to need to start a bunch of cuttings from my Mt. Etna trees this winter to give me more plants to adopt out next year. Soon Kansas is going to be a hotbed of fig addicts, with Mt. Etna figs growing in almost every yard lol.

Thanks again, Coop!

Comment

• Coop
                                Coop commented
                                Editing a comment
                                James
                                I couldn't be happier. Run with it my friend

For each tree you give out, give them Ourfigs.com also

👌
                              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Look like a nice tree to grow. I would like to get a hold of some.
                                Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                                Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

• Coop
                                  Coop commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Hi
                                  Send me your address and I will get something to you
                                  Coop

I spread out a few Dominicks also, the one I kept went in ground this summer but it was one of my trees I kept in one gallon way to long, now that it has room to spread out it is doing well. I think I still have a couple cuttings in the fridge and I rooted out 5 trees when I originally got the cuttings and gave away 4 to friends and family. So coop I am willing to bet that there is a lot more Dominicks out there then you think! Oh and I can honestly say coop thay when you share you are not stingy what so ever, that was a big bag of cuttings, lol, I am happy to have this one, thanks coop! And Mike, good job with the Dominick!
                                Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Thats awesome Ryan. I'm so happy to hear these stories. Spread the wealth.

Comment

My Coop's Dominick went in the ground last week next to my other fig tree with a story, BI39, out beside my cabin. Now I can sit on my porch and watch both my story fig trees grow, thanks to Jim and Mike.
                                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Coop
                                      Coop commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      That's great Jerry. I know you will take good care of him.
                                      Cheers
                                  Working...
                                  X