X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischia Black

I'm not posting this to pick a fight but I see a problem that I think needs to be discussed. Not looking for an argument here, but I think different standards get applied to the application of names of popular varieties. This creates more and more confusion over time.

At USDA Davis's Wolfskill repository (not "UCD") is Ischia Black (not "Black Ischia") which has been in there since prior to when the collection was turned over from UCD 25 years ago or so. It has been a popular variety for many years and highly sought after by serious collectors. To the best of my knowledge, no other sources of a fig variety with the name of Ischia Black (or Black Ischia) were reported until recent years. I cannot see justification for calling any other fig with different genetics by either of these names.

The "Black Ischia AD" came to Jon from some undisclosed source. He wrote that he believes it came from Exotica Nursery. http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....9&postcount=16 I don't grow this, but reports from Gina and others lead me to believe that this is not the same as Ischia Black.

Richard Watts has Black Provence which he has sold as Black Ischia and he told me that he did so saying that he saw F4F's variety index listed it as a synonym. Other people have had slightly different explanations. My Black Provence definitely has red petioles and I should get fruit this year, but reports from others indicate that the pulp of this fruit is amber in color so that is clearly not the same as Ischia Black.

A little over a year ago a friend (honestly don't recall who at this point) told me that they obtained "Black Ischia" from Edible Landscaping that was FMV free and that Edible Landscaping had obtained it from Europe. I wrote to Edible Landscaping last April and Michael McConkey replied:

"Todd Kennedy from observation at Davis Repository said Black Ischia and Petite negri . We , the same fig. My stock plant here is from the starts I received from Todd.
    Michael"

I don't know if Todd sent Michael Petite Negri or Black Ischia or what. At Prusch Park in San Jose is a tree labeled Black Ischia which appears to actually be VdB. Todd has been closely affiliated with the Santa Clara Valley chapter of CRFG which maintains the fruit tree collection there so I wonder if this might be some connection to a mix-up. This is speculation on my part since I simply don't know what Todd may have sent to Michael.

Tom Clery obtained cuttings from Davis and Encanto and at one time wrote that he wasn't sure which tree of his was which. Encanto also had a tree that originated from Davis, though Jon wrote that it is now dead. Anyways, Tom later sold trees of both "UCD" and "Encanto" and I have one of each, but they are small and growing slowly. The leaves, petioles, and slow growth lead me to believe that they are probably the same. I hope to get fruit from each this year.

It seems to me that sources that appear different than what has originated from Davis should either have "Uknown" as part of their name, some tag with the origin's name (i.e., I believe "AD" used by Encanto indicates the initials of the person that sent it to Jon), or a different name entirely.

Just my $.02.....
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Harvey, thanks for this post. Always good to try to sort out what's what.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Good detective work as always, Harvey.

Do you think the fine people of Madeira and Ischia know the headache their islands cause fig collectors?
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

Nelson is aware as is a friend of mine still in Madeira, though I think we can attribute the problem to people, not the islands themselves!

Comment

Everyone send me air layers from all their Ischia Blacks and Black Ischias and I will triple label and grow them side by side for comparison. I will post photos and taste tests here.
          Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            I second that offer!!!!!!

• GregMartin
            GregMartin commented
            Editing a comment
            triple!!! To be completely thorough it would be important to grow them together in very different parts of the country so that any differences display themselves!

• brettjm
            brettjm commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant.

Me first!

BTW, if I can get my Ischia Black to grow well, I might have Foundation Plant Services (located on UCD facilities) attempt to clean it up of FMV. Cost I was quoted was $2,000. I scientist friend of mine warned me that fruit from a vigorous growing plant might not be as rich....

Comment

That's an interesting thought your scientist friend has about fruit taste vs vigor, but I'm not sure I buy it. If we could line up FMV infected samples of various varieties against FMV free or at least minimally affected samples of the same varieties and taste them year after year for 5-10 years we might be able to make some reasonably solid conclusions. I can see where this would apply to over fertilized and over watered figs, but I'm not sure that it applies to a plant that is more vigorous solely because its growth isn't inhibited by the virus.

Edit: I should add that I have yet to taste a fig from my Ischia Black that I would rate as better than the average decent fig in my collection. My tree is in its 6th leaf this year and will produce for the fourth time. I keep waiting to be knocked off of my feet, but I begin to wonder at the fabulous reputation this variety has vs my personal experience. Anybody else out there want to chime in on their personal UCR Ischia Black taste experiences?
            Last edited by Posturedoc; 07-06-2015, 08:56 PM.
            Neil
            Reno, 6b

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Neil, you might not argue with my scientist friend as much if you focused on the word "might". She's worked in plant breeding, genetics, etc. and understands more about plants than will ever come close to learning. We know that grapes are sometimes dry farmed, etc. and such stressed grapes do produce a wine with more intense flavors. There's obviously a limit to such stress benefits....

• Posturedoc
              Posturedoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Harvey, your comparison of dry farmed grapes to irrigated grapes is exactly the point I attempted to make above. The grapes aren't infected with a virus, they are simply on a water diet that intensifies the sugars in the fruit. The SF Chronicle reported some 10 or more years ago on that same process applied to a commercial tomato operation growing Early Girl toms somewhere in northern California. The author of that piece claimed the dry farmed Early Girls were by far the best-tasting tomatoes they had ever eaten.

My skepticism is not with water stressed plants, it's with FMV infected plants producing superior fruit compared with non or mildly infected plants that otherwise get the same cultural treatment. If the FMV plants are treated with different cultural standards because of the FMV, it's not really a valid comparison of figs, is it? Maybe I'm missing something in what your scientist friend is communicating to you or perhaps I don't understand what effects FMV has on plants beyond retarding growth. Is it known to concentrate sugars in the actual fruits?

• Slingfox
              Slingfox commented
              Editing a comment
              The vigor vs. taste tradeoff is an interesting consideration. There is that tradeoff in some varieties of grapes and not only tied to watering schedule either. Mulberries have the same issue: the nigra varieties are widely considered the best tasting but they also grow the slowest. Some nigra trees grow only 2 - 4 inches a year vs. the most vigorous varieties can easily grow 10 feet or more!

Originally posted by HarveyC View Post
            I'm not posting this to pick a fight but I see a problem that I think needs to be discussed. Not looking for an argument here, but I think different standards get applied to the application of names of popular varieties. This creates more and more confusion over time.
            Harvey,

Agree completely but it is not just BI, Genovese Nero and Robs Genovese Nero......it should not have that name but how do we go about turning the tide and getting the names back? At least the FMV Free BI isn't just called BI, same as the Robs GN is not just called GN. So for that we can be thankful.

Having one of the "FMV free Black Ischia" I can assure you that it is not Petite Negri. The leaves on mine are not even close.

Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, but since this "FMV free Black Ischia" has a name that only differs in its claim to being FMV free, I think it's pretty clear that most people would incorrectly believe it is otherwise the same as Black Ischia (which is actually Ischia Black). I'd gladly come up with some other name for Rob's Genovese Nero but I think that name in itself is pretty clear that it is different than Genovese Nero (or probably different?). At least with @@@@ Watt's fig I know what to call it.

Harvey said:
            The "Black Ischia AD" came to Jon from some undisclosed source. He wrote that he believes it came from Exotica Nursery. http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....9&postcount=16 I don't grow this, but reports from Gina and others lead me to believe that this is not the same as Ischia Black.
            Sounds like there is some confusion about where Jon got the BIs he's selling. There seem to be more than one story. When I questioned where he got it (by then I was suspicious the cuttings I purchased from him were not the real thing.) He said the source was from an experienced grower who called his tree 'Black Ishi'. And he apparently trusted that the man was correct in his identification. There is a similar conversation here: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1273896290

I have the 'UCD' BI (via Barry) and Jon's unknown BI growing within 3 feet of each other, both in pots. To my eye they are not the same fig. There are subtle differences, but who is to know what differences the FMV infections might cause.

-Jon's unk BI does not have red petioles. The UCD currently has pinkish ones. (I'm using the abbreviation UCD because that is more commonly used)
            - the leaves of the unk BI hang more while the UCD BI are held more upright/horizontal.
            - the leaves and lobes of the unk BI are longer and thinner than the UCD BI.
            - the ends of the main lobes on unk BI are more pointed than the 'real' BI
            - the leaf surfaces are different. Unk BI is smoother (but not smooth) and the UCD BI surface is far more rugose (nubbly).

I gave a young rooted Encanto unk BI to a friend about a year and a half ago. She planted it in the ground. It has done very well - and looks much like a Vista or VdB. When I saw it just yesterday, I thought it was at first.

In the thread Harvey linked, this is what Jon said:
            I do have to say that getting a mislabeled BI fig that turns out to be a VdB is not a bad deal - you are still getting a very, very good fig, albeit not what you expected.
            To which I replied:
            Really? Not when one pays for a BI - and already has 2 VdB purchased from other sources.

SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Gina, no need to continue your gripe with Jon here. That's not the point of this discussion and I don't think that anything I wrote indicates that there is confusion where Jon got his fig from. The point of this thread is the use of different names related to Ischia Black.

Harvey, you are correct to point out that USDA Ischia Black is the correct, official name according to the germplasm website. I would only add that the same website also identifies an official, alternate name for said fig as "Black Ischia." So technically, someone would not be wrong to also use this name for that fig. In any event thank you for the valuable clarifications contained in this thread. I am still waiting for Herman to resurface for commentary on my Ischia Black, which does not appear to be true to type at this time.
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, I agree with that. I just think that with a fig that already has so many other figs attached to the name that being precise with the official name is preferred.

Will be interesting to see what happens with yours from Herman, that's a mystery.

Harvey, thanks for the detailed information on IB. Will you be grafting Ischia Black onto a vigorous root stock in the future, like you have with Black Madeira? You mentioned once you thought it was a good idea. That might do more for its vigor than a virus treatment.
            Mara, Southern California,
            Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              I think so and have been kicking myself for not taking at least one cutting from my small tree.

#9.1

HarveyC commented
            Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Gina, no need to continue your gripe with Jon here. That's not the point of this discussion and I don't think that anything I wrote indicates that there is confusion where Jon got his fig from. The point of this thread is the use of different names related to Ischia Black.
            Sorry Harvey - I thought that's what I was doing. Ischia Black is the very first fig I really wanted so I've followed this topic for years with great interest.

There is so much confusion about this fig already, various forms of it out there being sold and resold, that to me sources are important, especially when they should know better. When someone prominent sells figs without clarification of names, or at least indicating there is confusion at the time of the sale (as many other sellers take the time do), that further complicates the issue, and as long as they continue to do that, confusion will go on forever. (I know you believe two of the figs in question are the same, but I don't. As stated, in my environment, growing side by side, they are visibly different. Is that the result of genetics or disease, I can't know for sure.)

I would rather have the correct fig called either Black Ischia or Ischia Black (both accepted synonyms) than the wrong fig with the 'right' name. And of course if there is doubt, as in this case, use 'unk'.

By the way, does anyone know if Jason's found, suspected 'uninfected' BI (from a few years ago) has been verified?
            SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

• Rewton
              Rewton commented
              Editing a comment
              Gina, what I am recalling from that old thread (or elsewhere?) that Herman2 no longer believes Jason's find is a long-lost fmv-free Ischia Black but thinks perhaps it is related to Negretta. If anyone knows more please chime in. I'm also interesting in hearing about that fig. Too bad Herman2 doesn't post here.

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, I just think that it's pretty clear that AD is not Ischia Black so that's that.

Jason's fig is a Negretta. Herman was 100% sure it was IB but then late in the year he conceded it was not. Nelson in the beginning suspected it was Negretta.

• brettjm
              brettjm commented
              Editing a comment
              Hah! something I actually know something about. Herman2 did say it was close to Negretta, rather than Ischia Black, if I recall that thread correctly. I do know from experience that this variety does make red buds before leafing out though... Alas, I killed it with love. My cutting was healthy and seemingly unaffected by FMV though, whatever it was. I'm willing to bet in a few years it will pop up as more and more folks get a hold of it.

Gina - I recall seeing something on the F4F forum that Herman2 now thought Jason's Unk Black Ischia might be Negretta, sorry don't have the link.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Jason's Ischia Black is not the real Ischia Black. I don't trust or believe in nurseries who think some of these figs are the same. They really do not know the truth. Renaming a fig is not right----it just creates so much confusion. I found some unknowns growing here in Charlotte. Some folks told me to give them a name. I thought about it--wrote about it and the more I thought about it ...it just didn't seem right. I wish Mr Watts would have not called his Black Provence---Ischia Black. Why? Because Jon's website is not the true gospel!! And neither is Dalton's! Jon and Dalton's website is just their opinion of what they think a fig is! Even some of Jon's pictures are not correct. I've emailed him in the past pointing out the errors and he did correct them so it pays to due our research as Harvey has done here. Always ask for the source and name of a cutting or fig when you buy it.

I got lucky years a go and rooted 6 Ischia Black cuttings. Today I have 2 large trees that I winterize indoors. The fruit from these trees is amazing and a definate keeper. I'm glad Harvey commented again on this topic. To me, it is one that should always be on everyone's mind before buying figs.
              Dennis
              Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Thanks for the update, guys. I haven't been to F4F lately. Perhaps when I have more time.

It would be really nice to have a widely available/verified uninfected Black Ischia, either one found, or via tissue culture.
                SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Okay, but since this "FMV free Black Ischia" has a name that only differs in its claim to being FMV free, I think it's pretty clear that most people would incorrectly believe it is otherwise the same as Black Ischia (which is actually Ischia Black). I'd gladly come up with some other name for Rob's Genovese Nero but I think that name in itself is pretty clear that it is different than Genovese Nero (or probably different?). At least with @@@@ Watt's fig I know what to call it.
                  Harvey,

That is why it is up to responsible sellers and traders to point out in no uncertain terms that there is an issue with the ID or with the name. It is not responsible to simply sell a plant and call it a known name when you know for a fact there is an issue......like what Jon does. It would be like you simply calling Rob's Genovese Nero Genovese Nero with no explanation. Would you do that? Answer is no. Why? Because you are responsible. It is up to us to be good stewards but after pounding my head against the wall over these issues I have come to the conclusion it is a mess not of my doing that I can't fix. Would simply use UCDavis BI or IB as you seem to prefer. It is clear and concise and lets people know the source.

SO my system is:

I name figs as received, period. If it comes in Ischia black it remains such, if it comes in black Ischia it remains such. The only exception is when I later determine that the plant is not what I bought it as or traded for and frankly that is why I try to restrict my trading to people I know well. Generally when a plant turns out clearly to not be what it was supposed to be I don't even try to ID them, just pitch them unless it is remarkable. The naming as received is about the only way to stay sane when dealing with these naming issues.

Comment

• HarveyC
                    HarveyC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also prefer to leave UCD out of the name as UCD doesn't have any figs. The USDA research leader John Preece made the point pretty clear at last August's tasting. We are not UC Davis, we are all USDA employees, this is a USDA repository.

With my Socorro Black I am 100% sure that the two trees I'm growing are cuttings labeled as such as Socorro Black from Jose and Jose is 100% sure he collected those cuttings from his SB trees. But my leaves don't look close to being correct so I add Unk to the name and do sell it because it is a very good-tasting fig (as Neil will attest to). I think the same or something similar should be done with the other forms of Ischia Black, including the FMV free one.

If I get a FMV free version of the IB from USDA, what do I call it? FMV Free Truly For Sure Ischia Black!!!

Even the original name of Ischia Black is in question in the sense that it might not be from anywhere around the island of Ischia (near Naples). One story I've read is that this fig was one of a number collected in Italy, and when the collector returned home, he had lost the original labels so he assigned arbitrary names to what he had... So what we now know as a fig from Ischia might not even be from that area. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, ...but it's on the internet, so it must be true.

Fig names - you gotta love 'em.
                  SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaglpus View Post

I got lucky years a go and rooted 6 Ischia Black cuttings. Today I have 2 large trees that I winterize indoors. The fruit from these trees is amazing and a definate keeper. I'm glad Harvey commented again on this topic. To me, it is one that should always be on everyone's mind before buying figs.
                    I was lucky also and started 6 cuttings of the real deal about a year and a half ago. 5 rooted but I lost two this past winter even though it was mild. Could have been a moisture issue. The 3 survivors grew well from the beginning and I even got ripe fruit the very first year. Even on a young tree they were exceptional. This year the surviving 3 are still doing well, and have even more fruit. But I did waste 2 years (and a few dollars) prior to that thinking I had the real deal, when I didn't. And, yes, this still does stick in my craw. As a fig lover who appreciates accuracy, how could it not?
                    SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

• shah8
                      shah8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What was the difference in taste between the real thing and the Bordeaux variant?

I name my figs as received but also with the name of the person who sent it to me and if known, his/her source. So my labels read Vista Mission JV and so did my database.
                    Bob C.
                    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

I also prefer to leave UCD out of the name as UCD doesn't have any figs. The USDA research leader John Preece made the point pretty clear at last August's tasting. We are not UC Davis, we are all USDA employees, this is a USDA repository.

With my Socorro Black I am 100% sure that the two trees I'm growing are cuttings labeled as such as Socorro Black from Jose and Jose is 100% sure he collected those cuttings from his SB trees. But my leaves don't look close to being correct so I add Unk to the name and do sell it because it is a very good-tasting fig (as Neil will attest to). I think the same or something similar should be done with the other forms of Ischia Black, including the FMV free one.

If I get a FMV free version of the IB from USDA, what do I call it? FMV Free Truly For Sure Ischia Black!!!

Yes....call it USDA FMV free Ischia black. It is clear and people know instantly what it is. The USDA is not the authority on names and who is to say what plant had the name first? You think because USDA has it that there name was first or because they are the USDA their name trumps all other sources of the name? You can donate a Celeste to them and name it Star Gazer are we all then suppose to rename our celeste's Star Gazer? They have no more right to own a fig name than I do or you do. There is no fig naming authority, would be nice if there was.

Comment

Originally posted by WillsC View Post

Yes....call it USDA FMV free Ischia black. It is clear and people know instantly what it is. The USDA is not the authority on names and who is to say what plant had the name first? You think because USDA has it that there name was first or because they are the USDA their name trumps all other sources of the name? You can donate a Celeste to them and name it Star Gazer are we all then suppose to rename our celeste's Star Gazer? They have no more right to own a fig name than I do or you do. There is no fig naming authority, would be nice if there was.
                        I don't think Harvey's point is suggesting the USDA repository is THE authority on fig naming, only that this specific Ischia Black fig is the one that originates from that location and, therefore, the USDA name is the form that should be used to describe it, as should really be the case for any fig from that location when one is interested in exactly identifying it as the source of the fig they are growing, even if it may, in fact, be a bogus name. A big stink is generally not made about this, since there are only two or three figs I am aware of - there are probably more, but none as desirable or problematic in the fig name game - that are specifically sourced from the USDA repository, the Ischia Black in question and Black Madeira...and maybe Barnisotte, though that fig doesn't cause the same level of controversy as the other two.

Here's the unfortunate and unsurprising truth to naming controversies. Fig collectors keep poor records on their figs. Most of us likely have names on all of our fig trees that came with them when we acquired them. The better organized among us documents the source of their figs and the most meticulous among us has attempted to find the ultimate source of their fig in order to verify as surely as possible the authenticity of their fig. The monumentally deluded and, frankly, nutty among us attempt to apply order to the fig naming process...and fail despite all of their noble efforts. They fail because most of us are satisfied that the name given to the fig as we acquired it is accurate or they fail because unscrupulous sellers apply names of rare and desirable figs to a more common and less desirable variety or because we continue to make up new names for varieties we find, etc...but you know all of this. Hmmm, at this time, if I had some scintillating point, perhaps a unified theory of fig nomenclature, I was going to hammer home in one final, glorious sentence, I don't recall what it was. But it does reveal that I can be a pedantic boor, so there is that.
                        Neil
                        Reno, 6b

Comment

In post #7 Neil/Posturedoc said:
                          Edit: I should add that I have yet to taste a fig from my Ischia Black that I would rate as better than the average decent fig in my collection. My tree is in its 6th leaf this year and will produce for the fourth time. I keep waiting to be knocked off of my feet, but I begin to wonder at the fabulous reputation this variety has vs my personal experience. Anybody else out there want to chime in on their personal UCR Ischia Black taste experiences?
                          I've only had limited fruit on my first year 'personal UCR IB'. And it really was very good - one of the best figs I've eaten. Intense and jammy. Grown in full sun from dawn to dusk, in a pot that gets watered minimally. They are now in larger pots, still getting minimal water (the drought) and have more fruits this year. I'm hoping they are as good as last year.

As for dry-farming Early Girl tomatoes, and them being high intensity flavor, I can attest to that since that is the variety I prefer, grown with just enough water to prevent death. Not dry-farmed, but close to it. And they are head and shoulders superior flavor-wise when compared to those grown by people who water their plants too much.

Whether growing a virus free Black Ischia will affect the flavor, that's hard to know until it's been done. The leaves are rather stunted compared with other figs, but cleaned up, perhaps there will be both more vigor and leaf surface to photosynthesize and produce more sugars - as long as they aren't over-watered.
                          Last edited by Gina; 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM.
                          SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

• Posturedoc
                            Posturedoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you for your thoughts on your USDA/UCD/UCR IB, Gina. It's pretty hot and dry up here during the summer, so putting my potted trees on a water diet is playing with leaf-drop fire. Perhaps I'll adjust the water as the figs ripen to see if they concentrate their sugars better. I want to love my Ischia Black, but I don't right now, and may end up one of few persons who get rid of it rather than desperately seek it. I'll give it another couple of years before I make that decision though.

I have read this thread twice, some parts three times. My head is still spinning. Black Ischia has just been taken off my figs wanted list. All this is just darn confusing. I don't think I'll chase this ghost any longer unless someone can say who has the real Ischia Black and if it is for sale.
                          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Jerry,

As Neil said trying to unravel the names is an act of self mutilation. I do commend Harvey on trying, been there done that. As long as the name is staged in a way to avoid confusion it is the best we are going to do. Look at it this way.....there is probably at least 5,000 streets in the United States named Maple. Would you confuse Maple street in Richmond with Maple street in Des Moines? No? Why? The qualifier. So as long as the qualifier is included with the fig name confusion will be kept to a minimum, hopefully Just my two cents and worth just as much.

Comment

Just want to butt in and say that there is also an issue with UCD Barnisotte and all the other figs with Barnisotte variant names. The various Neros, as well. Frankly, for the OCD people, these are more worthy de-entangling targets.

Comment

• brettjm
                                brettjm commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Which one is the most sought after, I wonder? I'm growing UCD.....uhh.....USDA CR Barnisotte I guess.

• Posturedoc
                                Posturedoc commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Right now it's Acronym Ischia Black and Black Madeira, but Barnisotte's time could be right around the corner. Varietal desirability changes over time as posters talk up a fig.
                            Working...
                            X