X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Unknown 2015 peachy.

This is one of those peachy tasting figs. It is an unknown. Could be a Celeste. The mother tree still had figs in September. I don't have any pictures of the ripe figs from my plant, but they were much darker brown than any Celeste that I have seen. It was planted in ground last August, grew well afterwards. It was protected this past winter with a 2' diameter, 4' high ring filled with hay. It still froze nearly to the ground. here are some current pictures and a few of the mother tree. In the last picture there is a small group of rooted cuttings of this fig, all except the one in the purple pot, it is Malta Black.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
    PPP
    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Nice looking tree, I hope you are able to post pics of fruit later in the season.

That peach flavor may make it a highly requested cutting come fall. I know it sounds good to me.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Nice. I have a Celeste that has a peach flavor and the leaves look very similar. I love my tree, but I recently transplanted it and it is not doing so well right now.

Comment

Very nice looking, Scott is right if you claim peachy taste, I'm sure people will be asking for cuttings. Hope to hear more about it.
        Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• pppldj
          pppldj commented
          Editing a comment
          A few members here have it. Maybe they will report on it too.

Looks really good.

But your post makes me question:
        How come there are no peaches with figgy flavor?
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• pppldj
          pppldj commented
          Editing a comment
          That's funny, I guess peaches taste like, well, peaches!

Last year, I only got a few figs from it to try and they were excellent, IMO. I hope this year repeats and should have a larger harvest.
        PPP
        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

A peach flavored fig does sound good.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

If it's peach flavored, I'm sure you'll have many knocking on your door come pruning time. Myself included! There's a seedling from Jon, Fico Pesco d'Oro, that's reported to have a peach taste. The fruit looks beautiful, seemed like an obvious choice to try out. I'm rooting it now.
            Sarah
            Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Here are some pics of my peachy Celeste. The peachyness depends on how ripe it is. If it is just ripe, the peach flavor is stronger, but it is over-ripe and all wrinkly, the peachy taste turns more into a sugary sweet kind of peachy, kind of berry taste. It is really good either way though.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

We really need a way to taste these over the internet!!! Scratch and sniff screen would just make the envy worse... so maybe scratch and lick screen... LOL

Fantastic... everyone really. I can not wait to harvest my first fig this year, a Hardy Chicago is turning color so it's not real far away.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

scratch and lick doesnt work sigh.

Comment

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well dang! !!!
                Working...
                X