X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs being bitten by something?

I went out this morning to walk through my garden and was admiring my figs when I noticed white spots on a few of the larger Briguglio figs. When I looked closely I could see it was sap leaking out. I've seen someone else who had a Celeste infested by fruit flies, but wasn't sure if they were Spotted Wing Drosophila or just over ripe figs attracting regular fruit flies. After looking closely at the picture I took I could see the ant on it which I hadn't noticed before, but hadn't heard of ants attacking unripe figs.
    I have 5 types of figs with fruit growing on them, but not a ton on any plant since they're still young so I'm hoping to preserve at least a few good ones from each. Any thoughts on what type of menace I'm up against?

When the sap dried, I could see that they were definitely little puncture wounds. I first posted this at growingfruit.org and the fine folks there had some suggestions including possible spraying neem oil to deter insects. It is only on 2 figs so far, so part of me wants to just see how it goes, but I also don't want all my figgy hopes dashed for the season. Any insight is welcome.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Arlington, VA - zone 7a
    Aldo's, Black Bethlehem, Briguglio and Celeste

Maybe is so juicy is leaking?! Ahaha I'm sorry to joke. I never see tis before
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

My first guess would be a stink bug, evil things. On the plus side I think they figure out quickly that they don't like them.
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

My guess also is stink bugs. I have seen them on my plants and fruit.
        Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Stink bug is a good guess. To keep the ants off you can put some Sevin dust around the base or
          put a piece of duct tape around the trunk and paint it with some Tanglefoot.

http://www.planetnatural.com/product...nsect-barrier/
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I have seen this on a few figs and I too think it is stink bugs. They bite fruits and vegetables.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Zendog, there have been a couple of posts lately on insect damage to fruit one of which was started by me:

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...uit-and-leaves

By the way, if we knew what city/state/zone you are from it would be easier to provide advice. You can put this in your signature.

Finally, you are the first person on the forums I have heard of who is growing Briguglio besides me and a friend in NM. Mine is too young to fruit this year. Have you gotten ripe fruits off of yours? How was the flavor? Do you have any photos?
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and I think it does sound like something in the stink bug realm is the culprit. No new damage and I've only seen it on 2 figs so far, so I may just wait it out for a bit and see if it is an ongoing problem.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread Steve. I'm curious if you've had ongoing attacks and have had to take action or are also playing wait and see.

I'm across the Potomac from you, in Arlington, zone 7a. I didn't see an obvious place in my profile to the signature, but if someone can point it out I'd like to update it.

Regarding Briguglio, I bought the plant last fall at a plant yard sale along with a Celeste, so no fruit yet, but it is a pretty vigorous fig standing around 6 feel tall with at least a dozen figs on it. I have it in 15 gallon fabric pot, which I'm thinking that might not be enough unless I water morning and night when it gets super hot and dry here. We've had so much rain lately that it isn't a problem yet.

If the insects don't get them I'll be happy to have any local fig heads over for a taste to see if they're worth your trouble. The person I got it from said of everything they had tried, they had settled on the Brig and Celeste as the best for the area in terms of hardiness and taste - for what that's worth.

If your friend in NM is Leon, then he got cuttings from me over the winter when he contacted me after seeing I had it from a post on GW. He sent me an Aldo and Black Bethlehem start in exchange - much too kind. They both have figs and the Black Bethlehem is growing like crazy and probably has 20 figs on it already. I'll try to post a picture of the full plant later if anyone is interested.

The good thing with figs so far is that they seem to be the one thing that the deer and rabbits haven't attacked, at least not yet.
                Arlington, VA - zone 7a

Comment

• Rewton
                  Rewton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the additional information. Perhaps Leon did not have luck with the cuttings as he arranged to purchase a plant from the Azure nursery in southern MD in the Spring and have me pick it up and send it to him. So we both have young trees at this point. Maybe you can post photos of the fruit once they ripen as well as your impression of the flavor. Regarding insect damage, I haven't found any insects in the act of causing the damage. I do plan to spray neem oil in case I have some sort of mite - several of my plants have developed splotches on the leaves over the past few weeks.

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  updating your signature on our figs.com

http://www.ourfigs.com/help#account_..._signature_new

That's what happened Zendog. Very appreciative for the cuttings but they did not make it. Fortunately I received a nicely rooted Briguglio through Steve directly from the grower and it has taken off real well. Now to find out what this Briguglio Fig is all about. I am happy that your Aldo's and BB are thriving! Please post photos of each! And if you get figs from your Briguglio, please share pics of these as well!

https://exchange.seedsavers.org/cata...aspx?itm=58132
                Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

Leon, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who can fail at rooting a desirable variety.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Any time Bob!
                    Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

As a quick update I haven't noticed any recent damage. I did see some leafhoppers around, so I guess they might be a possibility as well, but I think it is more likely a drive-by stink bug attack.

Leon, here are the 2 figs you sent me as not much more than little rooted sticks in winter, plus my Briguglio. Hopefully they show up in order of upload - Aldos, Black Bethlehem (growing like crazy) and the Brig. The Briguglio was about the size of the Aldos when I got it last fall, so you can see what my growth has been like. Lately it is sending up a bunch of new sprouts from down near the crown, pus I see about a dozen dormant buds along the main trunks that are now showing the start of sprouts. If we keep getting all this rain and I dare to fertilize it will be a monster by fall.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                      Arlington, VA - zone 7a

Comment

I observed the same thing this morning for the first time on one tree only
                        and about 5 figs with tiny holes and latex oozing out. I sprayed the tree
                        with Neem Oil.
                        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

newnandawg, are you worried about the temperatures now while using Neem? I was holding off because it seemed like it was too hot here, but I expect you're even toastier in GA.
                          Arlington, VA - zone 7a

Comment

Well, yes I am a little concerned but I wanted to get something on them before I leave
                            town for a few days. When I sprayed early this morning there was a heavy dew so
                            that probably diluted it. Its 92 here now and I don't see any ill effects from it so far.
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I had a few figs oozing latex a couple of days before your original post. Now, there is a brown tiny brown mark at the point of puncture. No further attacks.
                              PPP
                              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Working...
                              X