X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot can it be for cuttings in closed Containers?

I asked this question on the other board as well.

I've been having great success with cuttings but noticed the fast root growth like I had in the spring and early summer has slowed down.

My guess which might be 100% correct is because we have the AC going on all the time. Now when I look at my containers I don't see condensation like I used to on the sides.

My question is has anyone put their closed rooting containers in their hot attic or a very hot outdoor barn?
    Zone 6a Orange County NY

Oh boy! Dehydrated figs! That's exactly what whould happen if you put them in the attic hahaha. Try to keep them well below 100
    Degrees. 85 is ideal.
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

I kept mine at 82* with a heat mat and controller with a remote probe.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• sal
        sal commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you link me which probe and mat if you get time. If not for this year I'll buy it for next year.

I've moved all of mine outside. They are not in direct sun or anything but they seem to like the temperature alot better. But a few weeks before I moved them out I plugged the vents off in my extra bedroom where I keep my cuttings. I'm hoping they will be stronger before it gets to hot. Weather here for the next few weeks is giving rain everyday. That is fine because I have my old slinding glass door fixed kinda like a cold frame..
      Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

I keep my hardwood cuttings around 80* and I get close to 100% rooting. a closed container in the attic could get 200* or more
        Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
        Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• growcrazie
          growcrazie commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have a few things on there now

• sal
          sal commented
          Editing a comment
          Mention that you are a member of this board and any others in your listings. It gives potential buyers a lot more assurance. I now only buy from members and people on the trusted list. If I ever have a question about the tree I ask the seller on this board or F4F any questions I might have. Beautiful Adriatic JH !! also nice picture you took.

• growcrazie
          growcrazie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I will put that on

I rooting now. Wife keep house about 70F closed Rubbermaid bin. Smag moss seed starter heat mat under(no thermostat, keeps heat ten degree Warmer than ambient temp) vent air morning night. Also I have cuttings in shoe box no lid inside close top rubber maid. I use drop ceiling light grid cover as floor in rubber maid then shoe box Ruth cuttings on top. I put water on bottom of rubber maid so heats up make more condensation. Average temp 78-100% humid. Remember vent dawn and dusk.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the input.. so the attic is out. Maybe I'll buy a heat mat but the temp won't be uniform since it will only be coming from the bottom? I guess I'll need a temp controller also?
          Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• growcrazie
            growcrazie commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know how you start yours but it is good if you can have the bottom(roots) warmer than the tops

For most plants 85F is when the roots lose efficiency. I'm sure figs can take more heat, but I don't think it is too much warmer. The lady at the hydroponic shop told me mold growth accelerates at 75F. I try to keep my bins at 72F and about 90% humidity. This year I had most cuttings ready to pot up within ~30 days.
          Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
          N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Working...
          X