X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mites on Cuttings

Having trouble with your cutting? It could be mites.

Tiny red dots in the foreground. They promptly got a nice soap bath.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Thanks for sharing.
    Neem Oil also works quite well.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got Neem too, but it's a little smellier and might annoy my wife.

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently got some 100% neem oil but haven't used it yet. What do you guys suggest as far as a dilution to use as an insecticide (mites, scales, etc)? Do you include some detergent too?

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Have only used Bonide Neem Oil Concentrate, 70% Neem oil @ 2 Tablespoons / gallon of water

Mites don't seem to be an issue in Colorado, we have them, however the species we have don't "seem" to mess with anything.

I'm glad you caught them before they did any damage.
    Last edited by COGardener; 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

NEEM!

Oh boy I made the mistake of using Sevin on some spider mites this winter. It's like an aphrodisiac or something to them because they went wild. I believe the Carbaryl aided the reproduction rate. Neem knocked them down after the flare up.
      RI Zone 6a
      Container Herder

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Sevin is Broad Spectrum, it kills everything including predatory mites (Beneficial mites) and research has proven what you witnessed first hand.
        I made the same past mistake...

I have had the same trouble with spider mites this year. I did the soapy water spray. It worked short term, but perhaps the Neem oil would be a longer term fix. Thanks.

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Neem Oil is also a Natural "broad spectrum" which includes being a fungicide... It has multiple uses in plant cultivation and can usually be found listed as Organic. It should be applied at least 5 to 10 days apart to get critters hatching from eggs.

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
      Having trouble with your cutting? It could be mites.

Tiny red dots in the foreground. They promptly got a nice soap bath.
      It might be the cause of your trouble...
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Touche...

After closer inspection of all my cuttings I found more mites, so I sprayed everything down with neem. I'll have to repeat next week.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

Mites are normally worse inside. They like it hot and dry.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Azatrol is a product made from the active ingredient in neem, and is very effective against mites, and doesn't smell much at all. I would recomend using it in a lower concentration, as it can burn the new leaves if mixed too strong. The downside is it is expensive.

Mike in Hanover, VA
          Zone 7

Comment

Just Neem a few of my plants yesterday. Had a few cuttings lose their young leaves from mites. Didn't even noticed them until I really look to see why they were losing their leaves.
            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

These insidious little buggers are in my rooted cuttings- drat it!
              I thought I wasn't doing something right; fertilizer or watering schedule...my plants were telling me something was off and a close inspection with magnification revealed mites, these are smaller than the spider mites I've dealt with years back. Must have come in with the cuttings, I have been guilty of not washing them down, now I'm thinking 'dormant oil treatment' for cuttings.
              Going shopping for the neem later today....
              Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
              Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Working...
              X