X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AscPete
    commented on 's reply
    Have only used Bonide Neem Oil Concentrate, 70% Neem oil @ 2 Tablespoons / gallon of water

• Rewton
    commented on 's reply
    I recently got some 100% neem oil but haven't used it yet. What do you guys suggest as far as a dilution to use as an insecticide (mites, scales, etc)? Do you include some detergent too?

• zone5figger
    replied
    These insidious little buggers are in my rooted cuttings- drat it!
    I thought I wasn't doing something right; fertilizer or watering schedule...my plants were telling me something was off and a close inspection with magnification revealed mites, these are smaller than the spider mites I've dealt with years back. Must have come in with the cuttings, I have been guilty of not washing them down, now I'm thinking 'dormant oil treatment' for cuttings.
    Going shopping for the neem later today....

Leave a comment:

• twovkay
    replied
    Just Neem a few of my plants yesterday. Had a few cuttings lose their young leaves from mites. Didn't even noticed them until I really look to see why they were losing their leaves.

Leave a comment:

• Mgorski
    replied
    Azatrol is a product made from the active ingredient in neem, and is very effective against mites, and doesn't smell much at all. I would recomend using it in a lower concentration, as it can burn the new leaves if mixed too strong. The downside is it is expensive.

Mike in Hanover, VA
    Zone 7

Leave a comment:

• Hershell
    replied
    Mites are normally worse inside. They like it hot and dry.

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    replied
    After closer inspection of all my cuttings I found more mites, so I sprayed everything down with neem. I'll have to repeat next week.

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    commented on 's reply
    Touche...

• Harborseal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelby View Post
    Having trouble with your cutting? It could be mites.

Tiny red dots in the foreground. They promptly got a nice soap bath.
    It might be the cause of your trouble...

Leave a comment:

• AscPete
    commented on 's reply
    Neem Oil is also a Natural "broad spectrum" which includes being a fungicide... It has multiple uses in plant cultivation and can usually be found listed as Organic. It should be applied at least 5 to 10 days apart to get critters hatching from eggs.

• Bigbill
    replied
    I have had the same trouble with spider mites this year. I did the soapy water spray. It worked short term, but perhaps the Neem oil would be a longer term fix. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    commented on 's reply
    I've got Neem too, but it's a little smellier and might annoy my wife.

• AscPete
    commented on 's reply
    Sevin is Broad Spectrum, it kills everything including predatory mites (Beneficial mites) and research has proven what you witnessed first hand.
    I made the same past mistake...

• PasturedFigs
    replied
    NEEM!

Oh boy I made the mistake of using Sevin on some spider mites this winter. It's like an aphrodisiac or something to them because they went wild. I believe the Carbaryl aided the reproduction rate. Neem knocked them down after the flare up.

Leave a comment:

• COGardener
    replied
    Mites don't seem to be an issue in Colorado, we have them, however the species we have don't "seem" to mess with anything.

I'm glad you caught them before they did any damage.
    Last edited by COGardener; 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AscPete
    replied
    Thanks for sharing.
    Neem Oil also works quite well.

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    started a topic Mites on Cuttings

Mites on Cuttings

Having trouble with your cutting? It could be mites.

Tiny red dots in the foreground. They promptly got a nice soap bath.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
Working...
X