X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rue Du Figuier (Fid Street)

On our last day in Paris, I googled "figs in Paris" and was rewarded with the name in the topic. Even better...it was a 5 minute walk from where we were staying (Ile St. Louis in the center of the city).
    The street is partly residential and partly commercial. It is only 1-2 winding blocks long, oh but what great blocks they are!. I spotted about a dozen fig trees with sizes ranging from medium to humongous. Most had figs that were just about to ripen. I wish I knew the history of this location but was too busy and too language challenged to ask anyone.I walked around and around taking pictures, fondling the branches, oohing and aahing until I noticed some of the residents looking at me in a more peculiar than usual.Anyway it was a great capper to a great fig vacation.

As for the rest of Paris, I've already mentioned the huge fig in Montmartre but I also found another huge one in the northern Marais region of Paris in "Square George Cain" the day before the Fig Street discovery.

If anyone will be visiting Paris, simply google the 3 locations I've indicated and you will not miss them.
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Last edited by FMD; 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

What an awesome experience you've had Frank! Great pictures, thanks again for sharing your vacation.
      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Frank, I know you were in seventh heaven, but the irony is that people walk
        down that same street, all day long, and could probably care less about the fig trees.
        What a shame!!
        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Nice pictures Frank.
          I hope none of those pesky cuttings were hiding in your suitcase. Wink wink!
          Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

It would be interesting to know how, why and when the trees were started...significant enough endeavor to name a street after the trees and put it in a tour book....

thanks for sharing your vacation with us..vicarious travellers
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

All I've been able to determine about Rue du Figuire is that the name has been in place since at least the year 1300. I'm working late doing research in the library, and this is research, right?

Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos.
              Last edited by dobemom; 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM. Reason: I also just foujnd this: There must have been figs growing all over the street, because after Queen Margot ( ex-wife of Henry IV ) moved into a castle on the Rue du Figuire she ordered a large fig tr
              Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

• rusty hooks
                rusty hooks commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely...necessary and immediate need....bravo

• dobemom
                dobemom commented
                Editing a comment
                The edit got cut off the first time...she ordered a large fig tree cut down because it was "inconveniencing her carriage". How rude of her!

• FMD
                FMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the additional history. Wow, it goes back that far!

Very cool, the one is HUGE!
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

I need to sure up my French...looks like a great road to live on! Thanks Frank.
                Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Paris gets some cold weather in the winter so those varieties must be at least somewhat cold hardy in order to get that large. Presumably they are unprotected in the winter.
                  Steve
                  D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                  WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Was it you or your wife who noticed the funny looks you were getting?
                    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• FMD
                      FMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My wife sat this one out, so the funny looks were directed at moi, and rightfully so.

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      note to self....no fondling fig trees on Rue du Figuier

I forgot to post the photos from the Marais area fig tree. Take a look at the trunk!!
                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                    North Florida Figs

Comment

• Tonycm
                      Tonycm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One word to describe that trunk. GNARLY!

When the residents were looking at you near these trees, figs were the last thing on their mind. Glad you enjoyed it Frank.
                    Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful trip! Wish I was into figs when I was traveling in Europe and especially when I was in France!
                      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Working...
                      X