X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suckers and more suckers!

Following Taverna78's recommendations and directions I successfully harvested 20+ suckers which are now growing in their respective 1-5 gallon pots. I thought the tree was of value to us Northern Figgers because the neighbors spoke of the huge volume, in the thousands, of dark sweet figs. The tree had been abandoned and not protected for the past two years. It survived two brutal winters of sub-zero temps for long periods of time. The cutting was brought from Calabria, Italy in the vest pocket of it's owner. He is not able to care for his property, so a friend and I (with permission) went suckering.

The suckers/trees new leaf growth 5 days ago on stalks ranging in size from 3" to 3 feet. They were cut from the mother plant 4 weeks ago. All told there were 4 trees clumped together. That success rate is just remarkable. All thanks goes to Taverna78.

Mike......Thank you very much for your valued instructions, you were on the money. 100% of the suckers are taking. I even planted roots alone and they too are showing new green growth.
    Last edited by chauqg; 07-10-2015, 12:44 AM. Reason: Added tags
    Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Wonderful my friend ! I am very happy for you and glad you succeeded! I am sure the owner of the tree that you were so kind to also is very happy and proud that you put your hard work into his tree to continue its life forever. Great job Chauqg!
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Chauqg, did the mother trees have any die back from these past two winters?
      Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• chauqg
        chauqg commented
        Editing a comment
        Greg Absolutely lots of dieback, I'll post photos as soon as i can resize them for the forum. The complete die back was mostly on the outside of the main part of the tree. IN the center near the heart of the root ball there were branches with dieback on their top (10-20"), but 20-40 inches of last year(s) growth below. With no pruning it is difficult for me to tell how old a branch is. Seems like the ability to endure a winter as freezing, as was here, is directly related to the age of the tree and size of the root ball. These trees I guess were 20+ years old and had several trunks 3-4" across that were cut down to the soil with a saw (see photos) several years ago. They came back 2 years ago based on the growth and dieback shown on some of the branches. This tree is a survivor. We will see how well and what it produces in a year or two.

• GregMartin
        GregMartin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'm always hoping for the magic plants that take weather like that with no die back, but this is the next best thing.

Post photos you send me. Amazing

Comment

It is wonderful that you and your friend have perpetuated the original owner's fig legacy. I'm sure it is a comfort to him to have his little pocket cutting create a whole new family of figs. You did good!
        Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

• chauqg
          chauqg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Really was our pleasure!

Great job chauqg! Any pics?
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• chauqg
          chauqg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes will add photos to post as soon as I resize, or make them available elsewhere for you to see.

Nice work!
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• chauqg
          chauqg commented
          Editing a comment
          TY, as I said it was our pleasure.

Here are some photos the first time I saw the tree(s). You can see the surviving branches as well as the new growth.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
        Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

• rusty hooks
          rusty hooks commented
          Editing a comment
          A real rescue mission....job well done

Very nice Chauqg. I don't recognize the leaves from this one.
        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• chauqg
          chauqg commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish you or someone could help to ID this tree. The only known facts are that the tree came from Calabria, Italy and there is only one crop. Will have more information when figs grow and mature. Owner says they are usually ripening in late August. Neighbors say when the tree was being maintained, there are enough sweet dark purple or even black figs for the entire neighborhood to share in the bounty.

Keep posting pictures of the leaves (both new and old ones) and fruit when it comes. Those should help narrow it down at least.

It sounds like an interesting find. Looking forward to seeing more pictures
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

You can see how the trunks bend inward he tied up well like me to insulate and cover for winter. My used to look like tis before rabbit issue

Comment

Working...
          X