X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone growing UCR 187-25?

Everything I've read about this on the other forum is that it is a slow grower and a late ripening variety. Do you think there's any chance it will ripen for me here in Zone 6?

Here are some pictures of my 2yr old tree with a lone fig.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

That's a young plant and that fig should certainly ripen. Every year it should get more & better figs. I have 2 and 3 year old plants that have never produced a fig. I don't think you're going to have trouble with it. After 5 years if you don't like the figs then sell it
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the comments, i think the early start in the greenhouse helped it our this year. I have two of these from last years USDA/UCD shipment and this one is doing really well. The other one is much slower so I put it back in the greenhouse to see if the extra heat would help it along.

The reason I got this fig was it's look on Bass' website.

http://www.treesofjoy.com/fig-varieties-collection

Comment

Here's the USDA/UCD link

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...lay.pl?1002050

Comment

I've got 6 going from UCD cuttings this year...got them specifically because everyone was saying it was tough to root....no problemo...(under test conditions)

very wirey root system, similar to BM...but all plants have put on at least 6-10 inches and look good.....first leaves out are interesting...have one with figlets...I don't expect them to ripen this year...
        Last edited by rusty hooks; 07-10-2015, 10:01 PM.
        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          I had good results in rooting this as well as 2 of the 3 cuttings rooted. It is a much slower grower than the rest of my USDA/UCD cuttings from last year though even though they have the same watering and fertilizer regimen. My Tena and Conadria are both well over 4 feet tall now.
      Working...
      X